Right, when I play guitar my picking thumb doesn't hurt at all but when I play bass with a pick it starts hurting after 1 song. My picking technique is the same for both guitar and bass.
Anyone know what might be causing the pain?
Thanks.

EDIT: Before anyone flames me for using a pick I swap between playing with my fingers and using a pick depending on what tone I'm after.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Last edited by Vampire 255 at Dec 5, 2009,
... Elaborate please?

You possibly could have a small part on your thumb that's uncalloused, and takes more strain when playing bass strings rather than guitar strings.

My best guess from what I could decipher
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
It might have something to do with the fact that the strings are farther apart and are heavier on a bass. The extra motion and greater effort could be the cause of the pain. If so, you'll probably get used to it. If you don't, then you'll have to change your picking style and/or grip.
What size size pick do you use? It could be that you're gripping too hard on the pick to keep hold of it because it's too small, so maybe try swapping to a larger pick.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
What size size pick do you use? It could be that you're gripping too hard on the pick to keep hold of it because it's too small, so maybe try swapping to a larger pick.

I use to use Dunlop Tri picks but they started hurting so I tried a Jazz III I use on with my guitar and they don't hurt as much as the Tri's.

Quote by Scribbllez
... Elaborate please?

You possibly could have a small part on your thumb that's uncalloused, and takes more strain when playing bass strings rather than guitar strings.

My best guess from what I could decipher

It's the back of my thumb that hurts. I think it's the muscle.

Last edited by Vampire 255 at Dec 6, 2009,
The Jazz IIIs are generally way too small to be used for bass. Best bet is to get something that's at least 1 millimeter thick. I like to use the Dunlop Nylons but the Tortex work just as well.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
You're probably gripping the pick too hard. You need to adjust your grip to be loose but not so loose you drop the pick obviously.
Quote by Fuzzle
The Jazz IIIs are generally way too small to be used for bass. Best bet is to get something that's at least 1 millimeter thick. I like to use the Dunlop Nylons but the Tortex work just as well.

The Jazz IIIs are thicker than 1mm.

And I use to play Tortex picks.

Quote by anarkee
You're probably gripping the pick too hard. You need to adjust your grip to be loose but not so loose you drop the pick obviously.

If I grip my pick any loose I end up dropping it.

Last edited by Vampire 255 at Dec 6, 2009,
How can you use Jazz III's? They're tiny!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
How can you use Jazz III's? They're tiny!

I can pick easier with smaller picks, plus I've got a habit of hitting my hand against my bridge with bigger picks.

It's probably due to the fact that bass strings have higher tension, and your thumb isn't used to pushing that hard to produce sound. Just build up the muscle, and you'll be okay.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by 6stringbassist
It's probably due to the fact that bass strings have higher tension, and your thumb isn't used to pushing that hard to produce sound. Just build up the muscle, and you'll be okay.

I've been playing bass for 3 years now and I've always used a pick for the majority of the time but I'll keep working on building up the muscles.