hey, im looking into getting a new distortion/overdrive pedal. the only OD ive ever used is a Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker that my brother bought me, and i pretty much hate it. i took a look at Boss pedals at my local shop today, and had plenty to chose from. can anyone recommend the best choice?
cheers
Not a boss.

Get a Trex Overdrive. Its a boutique pedal for £80, and awesome.
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
What do you play?
What kind of sound do you want?
What's your budget?
What's your amp?
i play everything, rock, blues, metal etc
i just want something a bit heavier. i play through a Marshall MG100 halfstack which has a nice clean tone but a horrible distortion channel.
ill pay anywhere between 50 to 100 quid.
could look into something like a Rothwell Hellbender. Dunno if it'll have the kind of gain you'll want.

just a bit of advice though, if your amp sounds sterile and lifeless, your sound is going to be sterile and lifeless, really no matter what you stick in front if it. a new pedal might improve your sound a little bit, but don't expect miracles. People always tout Marshall in a Box style pedals, but in the end, they really only actually sound like Marshalls, when you stick them in front of Marshall tube amps.
Quote by al112987

just a bit of advice though, if your amp sounds sterile and lifeless, your sound is going to be sterile and lifeless, really no matter what you stick in front if it.

that's not entirely true.
I agree thatt if you put a b00teek od in front of sterile sounding amp, since most b00teek od's are transparent, it will sound lifeless. But if you put a pedal like a tech 21 sansamp,m or another amp simulator, that colors your tone a lot, it can sound good.
I'd say go Hardwire. Above poster has a point, a boutique amp would be wasted on a SS marshall, not only because it can't bring out its' full potential, but a purely digital DS pedal would tweak his tone and gain more than a boutique would, given the amp.

Hardwire.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
youd be better off selling your amp
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04

this.

that MG ain't gonna sound any better with pedals. especially boss pedals
save whatever you're about to put into the pedal, sell the amp, and get a cheaper tube amp like a Bugera, or a Blackstar or something. you will be infinitely happier.
get a boss ds2! there really cool. loud, meaty and very popular.
analouge effects FTW!!

If you think Kurt Cobain was murdered put this in your sig.
i really wish i hadnt bought it in the first place. the clean sound is absolutely fine, but im playing heavy rock covers and originals which require at least a decent distortion, and this amp just cant do that at a good volume.
Quote by marvelboy_04

what amp/pedals do you use? you're into the same sort of stuff as me.
Last edited by AndyVR92 at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by Sguit
that's not entirely true.
I agree thatt if you put a b00teek od in front of sterile sounding amp, since most b00teek od's are transparent, it will sound lifeless. But if you put a pedal like a tech 21 sansamp,m or another amp simulator, that colors your tone a lot, it can sound good.

I have a Tech 21 XXL. It seems rather plain, as good as it is
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by al112987

just a bit of advice though, if your amp sounds sterile and lifeless, your sound is going to be sterile and lifeless, really no matter what you stick in front if it.

My VK sounded a bit sterile and muddy but my TS9DX really livened it up.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
this.

that MG ain't gonna sound any better with pedals. especially boss pedals
save whatever you're about to put into the pedal, sell the amp, and get a cheaper tube amp like a Bugera, or a Blackstar or something. you will be infinitely happier.

i really don't get why people slag off boss pedals.

i just did a gig on friday where for one song i had to use a Marshall MG100DFX with a boss DS-1, and there was really nothing wrong with the tone at all - of course it could've been a lot better, but it really didn't need to be, considering the size of the gig. The DS-1 is a definite improvement over the overdrive channel, and unless you're a noob who relies on having expensive equipment to try to sound better, you can get some pretty good tones from a DS-1 even with an amp as horrible as an MG. The only hopelessly awful boss distortions imo are the MD-2 and MT-2.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by lespaul#1
I have a Tech 21 XXL. It seems rather plain, as good as it is

I was talknig about the sansamp serie, the xxl isn't part of it
Quote by Sguit
I was talknig about the sansamp serie, the xxl isn't part of it

Well excuuuuuuuse me
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."