i have a glass dunlop slide... which is to big, and i was wondering what is the best type because i want to learn free bird and just jam with a slide and was wondering whats the best type
Quote by ze monsta
Different slides = different tone
In the blues and jazz forum there is a slide thread hidden somewhere, with lots of good information.

well i play rock and blues hahah and slash and gary used a metal slide live
different types of metal = different tone

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425035&highlight=slide+guitar+blues

My man Braedon hits it on the head:

Quote by Carswell98
steel- harshest, raspy, chimey tone

brass- cuts the harshness, slightly mellower tone

glass- round, smooth, nice highs, but not as much sustain as brass

ceramic- similar to glass, with less highs and more sustain
Last edited by ze monsta at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by ze monsta

dammit lol... i'll just ask for one for xmas and see what i get doesnt really matter its just for messing around cause i'll never make it as a slide guitarist... or even a guitarist lol and its gonna be better then my glass one cause its not gonna be broken in pieces (although its held together with super glue and withstanded me dropping it and stepping on it)
you could get a dunlop chrome slide. it sounds nice. i own one. bles bottles are nice too.
Quote by szekelymihai
i suggest getting a steel slide for a beginner. you'll get more sound out of it

thx man... i'll tellem to get me that hahah.... do you know how to tell your finger size?

and i guess i was wrong hahah gary uses a glass on the recording and live
Quote by ze monsta
You put it on your finger...

lmao no shit man .... just never mind hahahahah wow
i bought one made of glass like 3 years ago
it took me about 30 seconds to drop it, it was an accident
i didn't buy another one because it didn't do what i thought it was (i thought slides made another sound, which is in fact a pick scrape)

i bought a brass one 2 weeks ago and i tried to use it properly and it worked.

/blog
i like to use brass, half finger slides. that way you can still play chords and use the slide at the same time. i just like the tonal flavor of metal slides more than ceramic or glass (plus they dont break if you drop it)
Quote by Shelbones01
thx man... i'll tellem to get me that hahah.... do you know how to tell your finger size?

and i guess i was wrong hahah gary uses a glass on the recording and live

oh, for that youll have to go yourself at the shop. If not, itll be somehow uselles if its bigger or smaller

EDIT:
Try to match your ring or little finger's width
I've had my glass slide for years and have dropped it countless times without breaking it. You guys must have some pretty piss poor glass slides (or really bad luck).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't like glass.. Never used brass but I like the sound of steel with an acoustic and ceramic with an electric.

With regards to smashing glass slides: I've smashed a few... Concrete floors don't have much give, and when you're reasonably tall they pick up some momentum before hitting the ground!

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
With regards to smashing glass slides: I've smashed a few... Concrete floors don't have much give, and when you're reasonably tall they pick up some momentum before hitting the ground!
You play on a lot of concrete stages? Most of the stages I've played on the slide is more likely to stick to the beer stained floor than break
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You play on a lot of concrete stages? Most of the stages I've played on the slide is more likely to stick to the beer stained floor than break

Busking.. Or the drummers garage...

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details