tried out some strats today (mainly american standards and a HW1) i found a red american standard, maple fretboard that sounded awesome. really even, spunky tone. (killed the HW1. after trying that one, i cant understand why so many people like them. i would prefer a high end korean, like my current tele. thats me though)
anyways, im one of those fairly high gain snobs that most strat guys hate haha. so i'll need to replace the bridge pup. BUT one of my fav tones was the 2nd position. will a humbucker in the bridge position totally kill the spank and the chime?
i'm planning on a vintage output bucker, like the lil 59.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Yes. But, if you get it wired for coil-splitting and split the humbucker when in this position, you can still get a pretty nice, sparkly "Owh" tone from it. Look at some of the RG's, they do it with full-size humbuckers.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
mmm, good idea...i'll look into that
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

would any of the "stack" pickups be a good idea? to "preserve single coil tone" without hum?
i play old metallica/megadeth on a regular basis. aswell as bluesy stuff
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

With a coil split, you will not preserve single coil tone - it's a trade off. A spilt humbucker just doesn't sound the same. That said, it doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't sound like a nice single coil.