I was watching a show about obesity on National Geographic and started thinking about it. They were saying how the people 300 lbs and up generally have some sort of genetic preexisting condition. I don't see how this gene can stay in the pool much longer due to obesity's sexual unattractiveness and due to that it leads to an early death.

Any other opinions on it? It kind of turned into a discussion on evolution and natural selection with my girlfriend.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Equal opportunity, bro.

The world's former fattest man, Manuel Uribe, got married last year.
(No idea how he'll reproduce)
Quote by Karvid
Fat people will jump on you if you don't procreate with them.

You're missing an important detail: fat people can't jump.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 5, 2009,
Fat people will jump on you if you don't procreate with them.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Basically theres this hormone called leptin that helps stop overeating, and when it deficcient, it plays a big role in obesity.
i hope they get weeded out they are pretty annoying.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by newaccount
Basically theres this hormone called leptin that helps stop overeating, and when it deficcient, it plays a big role in obesity.

There's also hypothyroidism and PCOS.

Those all have genetic roots, but the idea of a "fat gene" makes me want to punch a baby even more than I normally do. The "fat gene" is an excuse. An actual condition and I'll listen to you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

with inventions such as artificial insemination, it is probably impossible for the "fat" gene to be naturally selected out of the gene pool. i personally believe the human species has effectively overcome natural selection.
Quote by SteveHouse

Those all have genetic roots, but the idea of a "fat gene" makes me want to punch a baby even more than I normally do. The "fat gene" is an excuse. An actual condition and I'll listen to you.

Well, yeah I understand that it's still heavily their own fault, but without a genetic root there would surely be a lot less morbidly obese people.
I dont respect obese people.

They let themselves get that way, so they can fix it, they just choose not to.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

There is no "fat gene" that causes obesity.. Chubbiness, yeah.

But morbid obesity comes from overeating and underexercising.

Put down the fork, move more. (this is coming from a fat guy)

EDIT
Quote by valennic

Ok, I said my words bluntly, but it definitely isn't a case of "not wanting to". Being fat doesn't just have physical effects, it has very strong mental effects too.

That sad fact is, people tend to eat for comfort, and when people do it alot, they become obese and then eat even more for comfort.

Some people (including me) eat out of boredom..
Last edited by Bearded_Seth at Dec 5, 2009,
so arew you saying WE will get rid of this gene pool or that it will cancel itself out? either way it's not goona happen
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by valennic

That has nothing to do with the conversation? Also, who says they want to fix their problem. I'm overweight (very slightly but still overweight) and I just don't give a ****, I don't see a need to be ultra fit, does it really matter? People put importance on different things than you, so you respect them less?
Quote by SteveHouse

Now I have PCOS and it's more common than people would care to think. In fact, it's one of the most common disorders in women of child-bearing age.

Unfortunately one of the MAIN symptoms of PCOS IS weight gain and obesity.

So until someone finds a cure for PCOS and other hormonal disorders which cause weight gain, obesity and 'fat' people are always going to exist.
Quote by tayroar
That has nothing to do with the conversation? Also, who says they want to fix their problem. I'm overweight (very slightly but still overweight) and I just don't give a ****, I don't see a need to be ultra fit, does it really matter? People put importance on different things than you, so you respect them less?

Well, I believe the thread was about the possibility of a "Fat gene" that made these people obese as a form of natural selection no? I believe it ties in in one way or another.

No no no, you misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I don't care if someones fat, hell I'm mildly overweight myself, what I don't respect is the people who weight upwards of 500 pounds simply because they choose to. Its essentially a very slow suicide, or in cases a very fast one. Its not the people I don't respect, its their life style choice.

Make better sense?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

As long as they get so fat that the guy's willy can't be found under the folds of fat, and the woman's vajayjay is anaccessible to anyone with a knob less than 3 metres long, then they'll be bred out.
Most morbidly obese people become so in later life, long after the point where many of them will have reproduced during their slimmer years, so an argument based on physical attraction probably carries little weight (pardon the pun).
I eat like a pig and have not got much exercise as of late, and I'm really skinny. Maybe there is a fat gene
Angus = god
Quote by SteveHouse

Those all have genetic roots, but the idea of a "fat gene" makes me want to punch a baby even more than I normally do. The "fat gene" is an excuse. An actual condition, like the genetically-based ones I mentioned, and I'll listen to you; a single "fat gene" is a sweeping oversimplification of a complex problem.

And, of course, this is again different from people who are just lazy and claim Fat Genes.

Fix'd because you guys are misreading me pretty badly. Hope that clears it up.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I'd say evolution will develop genes to prevent obesity rather than survival of the fittest.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by Von.
I'd say evolution will develop genes to prevent obesity rather than survival of the fittest.

Only if a mutation occurs. People are confused about evolution, it doesn't mean it will always create a better specimen, it just means the majority or the entirety has developed a trait for better or for worse

in nature usually for better due to natural selection, but in man we have evolved into physically inferior specimens than what we were when we had to fight to survive
Quote by El3ment380
I eat like a pig and have not got much exercise as of late, and I'm really skinny. Maybe there is a fat gene

Nah theres just a lucky bastard gene
Quote by Bearded_Seth

+1
---------
I eat massive amounts of food, but i'm strong as all hell. but i do admit I really need to (and am now trying to) lose some weight. But regardless of my personal and self esteem problems I really don't think that morbidly obese people are naturally selected. They get there by never exercising and over-eating and eating there babies

Fixed lol
Last edited by Somekid94 at Dec 5, 2009,
Who's up for eating their babies?!?!? I got the maple syrup and hot sauce!!!!!
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
with inventions such as artificial insemination, it is probably impossible for the "fat" gene to be naturally selected out of the gene pool. i personally believe the human species has effectively overcome natural selection.

Overcome? No.

It is just no longer driven by survival (at least in 1st world countries.) You can't point and say that this is natural selection and that isn't. A woman not being able to have kids because of a skin condition is still natural selection, even though the woman will still live a normal lifespan. Natural selection isn't survival of the individual, but rather survival of the genes. There are still genes that are being 'weeded out' every day.
PM me for newts
Genetics has some part to play in it.

Not EVERYONE can get like this:

Steroids or no, it depends on your genetic make-up.
Quote by Bearded_Seth

I've got it

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by tayroar
I was watching a show about obesity on National Geographic and started thinking about it. They were saying how the people 300 lbs and up generally have some sort of genetic preexisting condition. I don't see how this gene can stay in the pool much longer due to obesity's sexual unattractiveness and due to that it leads to an early death.

Any other opinions on it? It kind of turned into a discussion on evolution and natural selection with my girlfriend.

well even obese people tend to find a partner. evolution wouldnt weed them out because humans pretty much can control their evolution these days. the compitition of nature doesnt really apply to much anymore other than selective breeding. and like i said, even they can find people to be with.