So the past few weeks I've been giving my guitar a overhaul as it was a bit boring to look at and the standard pickups weren't the best. It was a normal Squier Affinity Stratocaster but not anymore! So here is a before shot:

and here is what it looks like now

As you can see the finish on the back isn't the best but I had a few runs and couldn't get rid of them!

Anyway, the colour I went for is Rosso Alfa Metallic, and out of the three pictures the first one is the best representation of how the colour looks in real life. The pickguard is a black one with CF effect vinyl put over it

The pickups I went for are a SD Invader in the bridge and a DiMarzio Evolution in the neck, and they sounds a million times better than the standard stuff and I managed to get both of them for £90 on the bay

It's got a three way switch and when you pull the volume pot out while the bridge pickup is selected it turns one row off so it acts as a single coil. It's still got the original neck etc but the only things I'm going to change on that are the nut and the machine heads, and maybe do something with the headstock but it suits the design a lot more than I was expecting so maybe not

I've had a lot of help from people on here during my project so I just thought I'd post up the results so people could see how it turned out

Let me know what you think!

PS: Yes I know my calender is still on November before anyone comments on that
Thanks guys

Quote by divinorum69
It looks like an Alfa Romeo with a carbon fiber hood.

Awesome men, Its awesome, where did you get the CF pickguard, or did you do the effect yourself?

It's a black pickguard with CF effect vinyl bought from Ebay, was a lot easier than I thought it would be! Just stick the vinyl on and trim it down with a Stanley knife
Quote by Guit-FiddleMan
Looks good! Very good jub cutting that vinyl out too.

It was a lot easier than I anticipated tbh! Just used a brand new blade on the Stanley knife and angled it so it cut the edge of the vinyl, went through it like hot butter and left a nice clean edge
I don't know much since i'm new to the guitar realm, but it looks a lot better than the original. I know i'd choose the second one over that boring black one.

If I may ask; what's a cf effect people are commenting on?
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Quote by sg255
If I cross the street to get away from them, then it's a latino.
^'cf' meaning 'carbon fibre'

you see it every so often on car hoods and things like that. the pickguard just has a vinyl on it that makes it look like carbon fiber, so thats why everyones saying 'cf effect'
Quote by james4
^'cf' meaning 'carbon fibre'

you see it every so often on car hoods and things like that. the pickguard just has a vinyl on it that makes it look like carbon fiber, so thats why everyones saying 'cf effect'

So if this is only a carbon fiber effect, are there actual carbon fiber pick guards? Because cf is used in car hoods to make them lighter. But I can't imagine a pickguard is heavy enough that you'd strive for a cf one.
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Quote by sg255
If I cross the street to get away from them, then it's a latino.
I've never seen a real carbon fiber pickguard..probably for the reason you've said. that the weight makes no difference in a case like this..

it's just for the look ..not so much to make people think "wow, that guy's got a cf pickguard. that guitar must be pretty fast". more like "hey, that looks kinda neat"
Quote by james4
I've never seen a real carbon fiber pickguard..probably for the reason you've said. that the weight makes no difference in a case like this..

it's just for the look ..not so much to make people think "wow, that guy's got a cf pickguard. that guitar must be pretty fast". more like "hey, that looks kinda neat"

Exactly, it was part of the car reference hence the Alfa Romeo paint
Quote by FrankieHCO
So if this is only a carbon fiber effect, are there actual carbon fiber pick guards? Because cf is used in car hoods to make them lighter. But I can't imagine a pickguard is heavy enough that you'd strive for a cf one.

CF is used in cars because it is lighter than using metal but also keeps the strength, fiberglass can be made to be lighter than CF but they don't have the strength for structural parts.

And since a pickguard isn't a structural part of a guitar CF has no added benefit apart from being added 'bling'
There's one guitar called 'the handle' that's made completely out of carbon fibre. Costed a lot of money if I remember, but looked pretty awesome
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Quote by Robbo1422
There's one guitar called 'the handle' that's made completely out of carbon fibre. Costed a lot of money if I remember, but looked pretty awesome

Not this one is it?

Nice!
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
ye thats the one. i had a newspaper article about it saying it was ' the future of all things guitar' an i was like ye..... right....
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal