Hi guys, I'm going to be performing a small gig at school and want to know of some really distinct bass riffs that I can play when theres a small break or something, just to show off The people going will be kids to adults so I guess a lot of songs can be suggested, thanks in advance
Seven Nation Army and Hysteria, already considered them as I've recorded them both for my Music Tech course, keep the idea's coming though, some slap stuff would be really nice
RHCP- Higher Ground
Wild Cherry- Play that Funky Music
Seinfeld
Metallica-For Whom the Bell Tolls
Led Zeppelin-Dazed and Confused
ummm another one bites the dust?? billie jean??

edit: no one knows by green day.

YYZ by rush

peace sells by megadeth

sweet child o mine (the intro thingy)

i cant recall any other ones right now :/ but it seems like you have enough
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Dec 5, 2009,
another one bites the dust for sure. maybe weezer - tired of sex.
Anything that they might knw
Iron man
Smoke on water
crap like that
Quote by Time Seller
So two musicians and a drummer walk into a bar.
Uprising is only cool cos of the drums. Anesthesia is a really good bet, especially if you can get your hands on a fuzz and wah.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Led Zeppelin - Black Dog

Also, you could try Had To Cry Today - Blind Faith, although I prefer to play the bass part from the Joe Bonamassa version because it's a bit faster. Probably better if you're wanting to show off.
i would go with some RHC, if you like a funky sound. or a beatles songs like I Saw Here Standing There. or you could even go with The Press Corpse by Anti-Flag
Schism by Tool and peace sells by Megadeth are both fairly well known and awesome.
Quote by Z3itg3ist
Hi guys, I'm going to be performing a small gig at school and want to know of some really distinct bass riffs that I can play when theres a small break or something, just to show off

If by "when there's a small break", you mean "between songs", don't be surprised when someone tells you to knock it off. Or when you catch flack for it latter on. I did say if.
Generally speaking, when the band takes a break, the musicians leave the stage and the people in the audience go about doing other things; be it a trip to the bathroom, to the bar, out for a smoke or some air, talk to each other, etc. Bottom line is, they're not paying attention to the music because the band's on a break. Therefore, your attempt to show off may likely go unnoticed.

That being said, if you're looking to "show off", work up something which allows you to step out in front, but still remains within the content of the set. Whether it's a bass solo, or 16 bars of rhythmic grooves and counterpoint worked up with the drummer, it'll be part of the performance, not random noodling on break.
That had all occured to me, but we are only doing 3-4 songs, as the rest of it is the schools concert band etc. This is why I was wanting a distinctive bass riff that people from all ages should know

And yeah, when I said small break I meant just a gap between songs as I am normally the only one in my group of friends who tends to take the reins a bit and try to come up with stuff, I just want to do something that others will know while the other two tune their guitars (one of their guitars goes out of tune like mad, do not buy a Vintage Les Paul if you hate tuning)
"Don't Stop Believing" by Journey. The intro is really recognizeable. or "Enter Sandman" by Metallica