To start, me(rhythm guitar/vocals), my brother(drums), and our friend Grant(lead guitar) have been jamming for like a year and recently our friend Mike(bass) joined us.We want to make this our permanent band. We're having trouble getting together regularly, and when we do get together it is somewhat unproductive. We never have anything to play that we all know.

So should we start writing stuff together or play other band's material? And when it comes to other band's stuff how should we go about picking songs we all know, like,and can play?

Also, our amplification is like this: Me- 2x12 tube amp (loud), Grant-12in. (it can be heard), Mike-15 watt 8 inch piece of junk, My bro-kinda cheap acoustic drum set, no PA. My brother is thinking about getting an electric drum set.

Any thoughts on the amplification topic either?
I enjoy Music

get together with the other members without any gear and just talk about the music you wanna write/play the pick a cover in that style to play and go from there.
Well you must like similar music if you all are in a band together. At practice just spend some time talking about songs you may want to play, and bring an Ipod so if someone doesn't know it they can hear it. Then have everyone learn the song separately and then come to practice already knowing the song. This way at practice you are working on playing it together as a band and not actually learning the song. If you want to write your own songs then it requires some patience. Write some guitar parts, or lyrics and then show them to the band, then just work on everyone else filling in the parts.

As for the amp thing your bassist needs a much louder amp. Grant- you didn't say if its a tube or not but it will probably need to be louder. You want to be able to easily hear all the guitars over the drums.
well do you want to do original music or be a cover band? covers can be a good way to start but if you do want to do original stuff, get started on that! if you've all been jamming for a year you should be experienced enough to try to write songs.

if you want to do a cover, do what MR. Goodcents said. also think about if you want to cover the song so it sounds basically the same as the original, or if you want to put your own twist on it... but yeah it's pretty straightforward really, you all agree on a song and learn your parts separately, then try them together.

as for writing songs, well, the songwriting process is different for everyone. try coming up with a chord progression and melody/lyrics, and have the band jam with it. of course a song doesn't have to start with a chord progression; it could be a bassline, a riff, or even a cool beat... just have everyone try to come up with stuff on their own, and also try just improvising together and see what comes out. good luck!
Quote by FatStrat890
To start, me(rhythm guitar/vocals), my brother(drums), and our friend Grant(lead guitar) have been jamming for like a year and recently our friend Mike(bass) joined us.We want to make this our permanent band. We're having trouble getting together regularly, and when we do get together it is somewhat unproductive. We never have anything to play that we all know.

So should we start writing stuff together or play other band's material? And when it comes to other band's stuff how should we go about picking songs we all know, like,and can play?

Also, our amplification is like this: Me- 2x12 tube amp (loud), Grant-12in. (it can be heard), Mike-15 watt 8 inch piece of junk, My bro-kinda cheap acoustic drum set, no PA. My brother is thinking about getting an electric drum set.

Any thoughts on the amplification topic either?

So basically there is no determination, focus, communication etc.

Ok, yes people can have busy lives, but if they want to do something enough they'll generally find a way to do it. So getting together may conflict with some member's schedules, but 99% of the time there will be a way around this if it is something they want to do.

Also, if you are unproductive, then where is the drive? Even if you don't quite know how to practice effectively you'll still get things done. You'll learn a song, or write some bits of music. You wrote that you never have anything to play that you all know. Why? Don't you communicate? Don't you discuss and make an agreement on what you should all be learning before practice?

IMO these are the things you need to sort out before you can even call yourself a band, let alone discuss what you think you should be doing about your setup. (although Mike's amp is probably the weakest link especially as it needs to compete with drums)