Quote by btones
is it a "have it or you don't" thing?

you CAN get it by smoking a lot, and drinking tons of whiskey, but that's not advised. You also can get it by singing when you first wake up, but that doesn't last long. Apparently, there's some special technique, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

i dont know, i just yell.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
I'm not too sure actually, I think there must be a strategy, but I think it's mostly "you have it or you don't" or you just either purposely damage your voice, or just push it lots. It's not advised at all though.
UG's AC/DC Lover
You can constrict your throat when you sing, which will give your voice less resonance and more edge. You risk damaging your voice, though.

For some reason, some people seem 'to have it' and they can sing like this without wrecking their voice. No, Rod Stewart is not one of them. He 'has it' but has also damaged his voice. Same with Steven Tyler. For the life of me, though, I can't believe that Brian Johnson or James Hetfield haven't killed their voices. Of course, maybe they have, but their PR people have done a superb job of keeping it quiet.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Sure, you can learn to do it. I did. It's a feel thing. I think I just use a tad too much air, but there's a little bit of constriction there too. But it's minimal, I try not to push too hard. I guess just try shouting, just to get a feel for what it's like for your voice to break up, but it shouldn't be that loud or forceful in practice. I'd almost suggest visualizing yourself doing it, and then just do it. It's kind of like learning to whistle; almost impossible to explain how to do, but easy once you get it.
Quote by axemanchris
You can constrict your throat when you sing, which will give your voice less resonance and more edge. You risk damaging your voice, though.

For some reason, some people seem 'to have it' and they can sing like this without wrecking their voice. No, Rod Stewart is not one of them. He 'has it' but has also damaged his voice. Same with Steven Tyler. For the life of me, though, I can't believe that Brian Johnson or James Hetfield haven't killed their voices. Of course, maybe they have, but their PR people have done a superb job of keeping it quiet.

CT

Hetfield had the incident during the Black album and his tone has suffered a little but he retains his sound much better than Johnson.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I have it, and it's just a natural thing, but it's not to say it can't be learned.

Constriction of your throat is a big part of it, I think, but it's REALLY hard to describe how to do it.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
You can experiment with mixing vocal frying with singing, which is the safest way that I can think of, but that takes a crapload of practicing to even know where to start. Melissa Cross's Zen of Screaming DVD gives alot of examples on the technique that you're looking for, unfortunately, she doesn't actually give away how to do it, just how to set up your technique.

You might also want to experiment with death vocals (at least I think it's called that, I'm not sure what it is), it's an easier way to get that rasp on the voice, but unless you're not doing it right either, you risk losing your voice. EDIT: I think this one is what the above poster is also talking about.
Last edited by denfilade at Dec 6, 2009,
not sure if I have it naturally but I do kind of tighten my throat just a bit but it doesn't hurt when I get louder
Unless you naturally have it, the only way to do it is to constrict your throat, which can potentially cause long-term damage.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by axemanchris

CT

Both James Hetfield and Brian Johnson have blown out their voices, both in the 90s actually. I know James Hetfield took singing lessons and changed his style, so from the Load album and on, he's actually singing more technically.

As for Brian Johnson, strain was building up on his voice (smoking didn't help), and I think it reached it's peak during the Ballbreaker tour.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Although I don't doubt that, I tried to find some evidence of either of those and found none.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.