i was surfing musicians friend i found this its like a bow for your guitar but it doesnt even make contact? can some one tell me about this it looks awsome and im thinking about getting it! =] Im thinking its kinda what Darkest Hour uses at the begining of the song "With A Thousand Words To Say But One" its sounds so awsome i really wanna explore this thing but i dotn wanna regret getting it
It's use on "Black Hole Sun" as well. It uses electromagnetivity to vibrate strings near it. This is how it requires no contact (in fact, contact will silence the strings).
EDIT: Wikipedia is your friend. You're welcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBow
Last edited by phat104u at Dec 5, 2009,
Actually no!!! I just looked it up and Hetfield recorded the entire string section with and e bow!
Quote by gatechballer
Actually no!!! I just looked it up and Hetfield recorded the entire string section with and e bow!

He wrote it using an Ebow.

The recording on the album was the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.
^i will admit, i did not even know the eBow even existed more than a couple years ago...i feel unintelligent now haha
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Check out "The Drapery Falls" by Opeth on the Blackwater Park album. He plays an Ebow most of the song on the long legato guitar parts. I like Ebow parts to have plenty of reverb to make the parts sound a little smoother and ethereal.

I find that an Ebow is very limited, and you might not use it like you think you would. Still, if you like that sound, it awesome.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
Quote by Roxor_Mc0wnage
I find that an Ebow is very limited, and you might not use it like you think you would.
Agreed. And if you're a heavy user of this kind of effect, you'll have a billion times more fun with a Fernandes Sustainer system.
Closer by Travis makes use of an Ebow.

I played around with one for a while and it's a neat toy. If I could find one for dirt cheap I'd probably pick it up.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
They are fun toys but thats where it stopped for me. I would get one if I could get it for a good price.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
You guys are on the same wavelength as me; it's a great little thing to use occasionally but the cost/fun ratio is just too high.

If it was £25 or so I'd buy one in a second!
Quote by kyle62
You guys are on the same wavelength as me; it's a great little thing to use occasionally but the cost/fun ratio is just too high.

If it was £25 or so I'd buy one in a second!

^this

theyre pretty cool but not really worth the $70-$100 they go for.

eddie vedder and ed o'brian (of radiohead) are ebow users as well

i also read somewhere that the bass player from sigur ros uses one on () in a couple spots