I was wondering if there is anyway to make my old 8 ohm tube amp into a 16 ohm? amp because i might be getting a peavey 4x12 ms cab witch is 16 ohm mono.

thanks guys

ps my amp is a harmony h306a head
Last edited by jimjam69 at Dec 5, 2009,
You could just get a new output transformer.

You don't want to give a tube amp a higher impendance that it was designed for. This will cause severe strain on the output transformer and power tubes.

To get you by without hurting you transformer, you could just wire the cab to run at 8 ohms (you would only use 2 speakers, though).
cheapest and easiest solution would be to rewire the cab. 4x12 running at 16 ohms is probably 4 16 ohm speakers in serries-parallel. sure you would end up only using half the speakers, but just sticking 2 of those 16 ohm speakers in parallel would give you an 8 ohm load. easier and cheaper than replacing the OT by a good deal.
You could pull 2 power t00bs?
Which would make an 8 ohm load
fit for a 16 ohm cab, if i'm not mistaken?
Quote by CityKid
You could pull 2 power t00bs?
Which would make an 8 ohm load
fit for a 16 ohm cab, if i'm not mistaken?

It only has 2 power tubes. So, you'd be left with a brick to plug a guitar in that does exactly the same as a brick would do.
you can't just disconnect two speakers as this would leave two holes in your cab effectively as the disconnected speakers provide almost no barrier to the sound inside your cab.
That doesn't really mean anything though - I have a switch to turn off one of the speakers in my 2x12 and it sounds just fine that way. It's nearly the same thing as having an oversized cab. I think it's a fine idea. You could even do a diagonal pair like an oversized 2x12, should sound pretty good.