Hey

In some months i'll buy a new amp for a band situation.

I want a crushing metal tone, megadeth style. I'm guessing I want a jcm800 tone.

This is the kind of tone i want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBxlAATrd-E&feature=related
(ps i dont like motley crue but i really like this song. I want a rythim guitar tone like this)
But with a heavyer sounding palm muting, for metallica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf7Q-163KyQ
(see the palm mutes ? how they sound like jackhammers? i want to bring that up even more, maybe use just a little bit of a compressor pedal?

And for cleans i want something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXFO_AlJr60

I want to play Metallica and Megadeth mainly.

Budget around 600 euros , like 700 something dollars
Volume: Enough for a band situation and small/medium gigs (maybe i wud need a 25 watt tube or something)
dave mustaine uses a marshall JVM and james hetfield uses a mesa boogie dual rectifier i think.

the JCM 2000's pretty good too
Peavey Vypyr Tube, Bugera Half Stack (the 6262 or the 6260 although i heard they have had problems with the first batch), Or the Peavey 6505 112 combo.
You'd want a JVM, not JCM
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
dude, mustaine uses a JVM. the clean video is from a JVM. a JVM should still be able to get that 80's marshall tone. Why dont you look around for a used one?
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by larrytheguitar
You'd want a JVM, not JCM

maybe jvm 205? For lower wattage = more distortion?

i'll be serious... i saw the videos of jvm and i really liked the cleans, they are perfect. Also ,they can do really cool classic rock stuff!

But the thng is, i havent seen any video deliver the same crushing metal tone as the jcm 800 :\

and thats what i need too.

I dont know if you can make a jvm have a distortion sound like a jcm800...if you could... i would'nt any doubts and would start saving a lot to buy one.

And the distortion is more important than the clean for me. I am 50 % metal 30 % clean xD and 20% others (rock included). So maybe, get a used jcm800 and get someone to mod it to have a usable clean channel? I think it should sound similar to the jvm ? doesnt need to be the same just almost as good.

Edit: I dont like the newer megadeth tone as much as the old megadeth tone. I want that 80s megadeth tone :P Mustaine used jcm800s, he only used jvms for endgame and i dont like it much.
Last edited by NateCordova at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by tom708
dave mustaine uses a marshall JVM and james hetfield uses a mesa boogie dual rectifier i think.

the JCM 2000's pretty good too

Metallica use Mark IIC+.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
Metallica use Mark IIC+.

But for 80s stuff they used Mark IV's right?

Kill em All and Ride the Lightning - JCM 800
Master to Black Album - Mesa Boogie mark IV

Hey im listening to jcm 2000 sounds and it does sound cooler with distortion than the jvm. It sounds pretty close of the distortion sound i want.

If i get one of these amps in 50 watts versions wud it like be too powerful for a band situation? I think i should get a pedal to boost it too.

No more opinions about my search for the dream amplifier?
Last edited by NateCordova at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by NateCordova

Hey im listening to jcm 2000 sounds and it does sound cooler with distortion than the jvm. It sounds pretty close of the distortion sound i want.

If i get one of these amps in 50 watts versions wud it like be too powerful for a band situation? I think i should get a pedal to boost it too.

The Mark IV only came out in 1990.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by NateCordova

what? no. they used a mark IIc+ on everything up till the black album. the mark IV is a 90s amp man.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
what? no. they used a mark IIc+ on everything up till the black album. the mark IV is a 90s amp man.

really?

i got this from a website dedicated to metallica. Guess it was wrong though. Damn internet!!!!! :P

Seriously now... i think i've seen loads of videos and the 800 just sounds better for distortion. Then the jcm 2000 sounds pretty cool too , its pretty crunchy.

i can get one within budget (sorta), look:

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/marshall-dsl401-guitar-tube-amplifier-combo--61251

It seems to have good volume for small gigs and perfect for medium gigs.

And it has seperate EQs for each channel, nice... and reverb...i hope the reverb is as cool as the jvm

The thing is, i've seen a lot of people online say that you can't get the best of the 800 if you dont crank it a lot. Some guy said he could get the same sound of a jcm 800 on 7 as he does on a jcm 2000 on 2.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

they used a IIC+ from Master to Black, before that was some kind of hot rodded Marshall sometimes with a Proco Rat in front.

I really don't like JVM's, they just sound mediocre for almost everything because it's high price (except cleans). The high gain is a steaming load of meh.

Get an Engl instead.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Martindecorum
600 euros = $1000

Doesn't work like that sorry. Everything's comparatively way more expensive here.
The jcm2000 DSLs are good at playing RTL/kill 'em all era. There some amazing clips on youtube playing ride the lighning and seek and destroy on there.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
The jcm2000 DSLs are good at playing RTL/kill 'em all era. There some amazing clips on youtube playing ride the lighning and seek and destroy on there.

The ride the lightning one was a good tone but it didn't sound as awesome as i would want to xD the seek and destroy wasn't very good, maybe the pedals and the eq weren't well setup.

What about a used Marshall JCM 800 Lead? It has 2 channels

Also... imagine i got a JVM.

Could i get a EQ with a lot of bands and make my sound more jcm 800 like and get pretty close?

The thing is i like the jcm800 tone the most but it must be really loud to be good right?
And the jvm is great at everything else except that distortion part, since it misses a bit of crunch.
This might be a dumb question.

Can you get a JVM sound like a jcm 800 with a lot of tweaking?
Like if i got a EQ with a lot of bands and stuff? I want that crunch from Megadeth's album Peace Sells.

The thing is, i probably would'nt be turning the amps to 7 or 8 in band pratice, and i heard the jcm 800s must be turned really loud to sound good.

And what about the jcm 800 2205 DSL? 50 watts, two channels, master volume, effects loop.
Quote by GrisKy
did i hear someone say...

CRuS#In6 0VeRDri\/e?!??!?

Yes you did, me =P any amp sugestion?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Just shoot for the 800. Use the link in my sig to find one. Probably a 2 channel. 50 or 100 watts won't matter all that much.

Won't i have to turn the 800 really loud to get that sound?

I mean, in band pratice and small gigs you dont really push it that high.
Quote by NateCordova
Yes you did, me =P any amp sugestion?

yes, though admittedly, I didn't read through much of the thread, and if you listed a budget... this one is probably beyond it.

Voodoo Hex Dual Lead.

cheaper option that still sounds great: Splawn Nitro.

want a really modern take on hot-rodded JCM800 territory? Diamond Nitrox.

all three are extremely badass, all three are also fairly rare... well, maybe not "rare," but you won't see a bunch of garage bands coping your tones.
Quote by GrisKy
yes, though admittedly, I didn't read through much of the thread, and if you listed a budget... this one is probably beyond it.

Voodoo Hex Dual Lead.

cheaper option that still sounds great: Splawn Nitro.

want a really modern take on hot-rodded JCM800 territory? Diamond Nitrox.

all three are extremely badass, all three are also fairly rare... well, maybe not "rare," but you won't see a bunch of garage bands coping your tones.

wow they are rare ,i never heard of them O.o

i dont know what hot rodded means LOL i'm not english. I want that CRUSHING Distortion for Thrash Metal =P like Megadeth's Peace Sells. Exactly like that.

good thing i keep this page on my bookmarks , i'll surely go find more info on those.

What about laneys???? I heard people say that marshall jcm800 and laneys are similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDf7jOnGKF0 about 5:20 Definatly a good crunch there. But can it top a 800 ?
Last edited by NateCordova at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by NateCordova
wow they are rare ,i never heard of thi dont know what hot rodded means LOL i'm not english. I want that CRUSHING Distortion.

in this case, they're synonymous.

and i'm not a fan of laney, but take that for a grain of salt. there are plenty of people you'll find around here who dig 'em.
Quote by GrisKy
in this case, they're synonymous.

you know bark at the moon and breaking all the rules from ozzy osbourne?

See the power chords? I want them exactly like that!

Alive, Screaming and Crunchy!
It just has this GROWL to it thats awesome.
imo...

900 sounds a bit more modern, slightly more compressed... not neccessarily more gain on tap than an 800, though it is often preceived that way.
Quote by GrisKy
imo...

900 sounds a bit more modern, slightly more compressed... not neccessarily more gain on tap than an 800, though it is often preceived that way.

Can the 900 nail well 80s tones still?

I kinda liked it when you said compressed...does that mean more pick attack?

From the clips i am hearing on the JCM 900 SL-X, i am enjoying it

Whats the diffrence from the jcm 900 sl-x to a normal jcm 900
look man, there's no sub for your own personal pref. have you played one? do so. google for sound clips of it and any other models you might be interrested in, because in the end, hearing it for yourself is going to be what makes the final decision.
Quote by riflesndaisies

JCM2000s are actually great Metal amps. I used to always use the JCM2000 model on my Valvetronix for metal, al ot of my friends have proper JCM2000s and they're great amps.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
JCM2000s are actually great Metal amps. I used to always use the JCM2000 model on my Valvetronix for metal, al ot of my friends have proper JCM2000s and they're great amps.

But aren't they more modern sounding?