Just an experiment that my jazz combo practice today inspired. You're given this to play over:

Ebmaj7 Db9
||: / / / | / / / :||

Vamping as needed. How would YOU choose to improv over this? Don't worry about style too much; it's a jazz waltz, but note choice and scale-wise, what would you personally play?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Arpeggios!
My Gear
Fender Player's Stratocaster
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Moog MF-103 12-Stage Phaser
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
Yeah straight arpeggios with definitely a half step interval to connect the two chords
Last edited by gatechballer at Dec 5, 2009,
Eb lydian over the Eb maj.7 and Db mixolydian over the Db 7. depends how long you stay on each chord for though.
as stated already- arpeggios would be a great choice also as you could emphasize the chord tones which is almost always a good idea. i havent tried it yet but im pretty sure that what i mentioned above would sound good also. i would start with chord tones (arpeggios) and then try adding in the other scale tones around it taking note of the effect that each note has against the chord. if some of the notes dont sound "strong" you could still probably use them as passing tones (notes that are not stayed on long and are usually played on a weak beat. ultimately - use your ear as your guide. hope this helps!
When jamming it out on my gat, (I think) A Love Eternal by Joe Satriani came to mind, or possibly The Meaning of Love by Joe Satriani as well... I dunno, but those notes seem to sit well with those chords.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Just an experiment that my jazz combo practice today inspired. You're given this to play over:

Ebmaj7 Db9
||: / / / | / / / :||

Vamping as needed. How would YOU choose to improv over this? Don't worry about style too much; it's a jazz waltz, but note choice and scale-wise, what would you personally play?

Well one easy thing you could do, is find the common tones and create a hybrid scale. This way any notes that are not diatonic to the chord you are in, could be seen as a passing tone. From there, Id look for melody over scale playing.

Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb - Notes in Eb
Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb Cb Db - Notes in Db Mixolydian

(Cb is enharmonic to a B Natural)

Therefore, First isolate the common tones - what notes are found in both?

Eb F Ab Bb

So play an Eb Major (Ionian) over the Ebmj7

Over the Db9 you can use the following additional notes Gb and a B (Cb - enharmonic)

This is just one way that I might approach a given situation.

I teach my students triad and scale theory so they can do that on the fly, and I also am now starting an online series, on YouTube. Introduced here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRzAEgb59-0

Hope this helps.

Sean
Like this.

[starts humming]
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Sounds like it's in Eb major.

I would play Eb major over Ebmaj7 and Eb natural minor over Db9 (which you could name Db myxolydian).