Hey, guys. Here is the story:
So my brother is now apparently a poet. He also makes instruments in his spare time, and has been meaning to make a bass for himself. I have been playing guitar for a few years (I am only 15, he is 25ish). One of his friends plays the drums. Recently, my brother asked me to join a band that he was forming. I am at boarding school 2 and a half hours away, but I figure that it will be good for me. However, there is a slight problem.
I do not have my guitar.
At least, I won't have it until Christmas day. However, he wants me to have a full catalog of riffs done and multiple songs written by the week before Christmas.
For clarification, I don't have my new guitar yet, I just have the shittiest guitar on the face of the planet.
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Esteban/Burswood+Acoustic/10/1
He expects me to be writing rock/alternative songs for him and have them recorded on this plywood guitar with a massive action. Is there anything I can do to explain that I will have to wait? Or is there any way to make dirty riffs sound good on an acoustic? He doesn't really understand music very well, so he expects me to be able to write all of it.
On a separate note, he wants me to learn some covers in full in the next two months. I really need to think of a few reasonably impressive (rock/alt) songs to learn by then.
He wants to go really fast with this band, and is already getting gigs and planning to have a record out by this summer. Help!
Do you know someone who'll let you practice on their guitar until you get a new one? And rock/alternative covers so much ground, name some bands that have a similar sound to what you want to achieve, and how long have you been playing/what's your skill level?
When I set my mind to it, I'm pretty good. Been playing for around 2-3 years. When I stayed with my uncle for a bit (he has guitars out the wazoo) I managed to memorize most of Axis:Bold as Love and play it reasonably well. With this, I'm really aiming more towards a grunge sound, (Alice in Chains, Bush, Nirvana), but with a bit more melodic, ambient solos, leaning towards prog. Although I'm sure that every guitarist in history has said this, I'm also leaning towards led zeppelin, in that I want some nice riffs. However, my brother said that he is "in charge" of all of the music (though he does not write music)
Well learn some songs that will teach you what you need, some prog solos, some Alice in Chains riffs, ect, borrowing stuff that sounds good to you 'til you figure out what you want to write. If you cant find a good guitar in time to practice on, just explain to your brother that you need to wait til you get a playable guitar.
Quote by SatanPriest
just explain to your brother that you need to wait til you get a playable guitar.

Yeah. Currently in the process of thinking of reasons why I should not do that. But that is probably the solution.
Quote by catrolean
Yeah. Currently in the process of thinking of reasons why I should not do that. But that is probably the solution.

It is definitely the solution. IMO, he shouldn't be making demands like that. I suppose an alternative would to just do the best you can with what you have. It could end up working out well, or not.
Quote by harmony-central.com
I called HSN to congratulate them on producing such a unique instrument. I was placed on hold for 3 1/2 hours, after which time, I was transferred to a Romanian brothel where I was verbally abused in an unspecified eastern European language for 30 minutes. I hung up, called back, and was lucky enough to speak to a customer service rep who actually spoke English.

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

The guitar was "given" to me. I am happy that such a gift was given, but if it wasn't given I probably would have been practicing on a much nicer guitar for the past few years.
if you want a good alternative rock song to learn that will impress people,
learn blackbird by alter bridge.
One more thing - he told me that he wanted me to write a "metal" song, but I honestly have next to no history with metal. Most of the new metal I hear I wouldn't want to play, because it just sounds like random power chords and ridiculous shredding with people screaming and playing the shi+ out of the drums. I can't find any articles on writing metal on the site. Are there any common progressions/scales in metal nowadays? I'm pretty well versed in the old stuff, but this new stuff makes my head spin.
EDIT: Thanks for the suggestion, by the way.
Last edited by catrolean at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by catrolean
Hey, guys. Here is the story:
So my brother is now apparently a poet. He also makes instruments in his spare time, and has been meaning to make a bass for himself. I have been playing guitar for a few years (I am only 15, he is 25ish). One of his friends plays the drums. Recently, my brother asked me to join a band that he was forming. I am at boarding school 2 and a half hours away, but I figure that it will be good for me. However, there is a slight problem.
I do not have my guitar.
At least, I won't have it until Christmas day. However, he wants me to have a full catalog of riffs done and multiple songs written by the week before Christmas.
For clarification, I don't have my new guitar yet, I just have the shittiest guitar on the face of the planet.
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Esteban/Burswood+Acoustic/10/1
He expects me to be writing rock/alternative songs for him and have them recorded on this plywood guitar with a massive action. Is there anything I can do to explain that I will have to wait? Or is there any way to make dirty riffs sound good on an acoustic? He doesn't really understand music very well, so he expects me to be able to write all of it.
On a separate note, he wants me to learn some covers in full in the next two months. I really need to think of a few reasonably impressive (rock/alt) songs to learn by then.
He wants to go really fast with this band, and is already getting gigs and planning to have a record out by this summer. Help!

Don't even bother with him. He might as well be throwing you into a deep fryer.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I talked to him. It's cool now, he understands what's going on. We've just got to put thing son pause for a few weeks.