I was wondering what would be the best metal pickups for a 7-string.
I like bands like Between the Buried and Me, Protest the Hero, After the Burial, etc.

I'm getting an Ibanez S7320, and if you could give your input as to why you suggest them, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks.
EMG707

/thread

EDIT: Actually, it depends on the amp, if you have a super high gain amp, i would rather have some good Dimarzio 7's

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
i would say look into EMG 707's. i have played a few 7 string schecters that had these pickups in them and they totally blew me away. Also if you think about it most metal bands use EMG's nowadays and you really can't go wrong with using what the pros use. also both guys from BTBAM use EMG's and so does Luke from PTH. hope this helps.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Just "707," or "707TW?"

And Dusty from BTBAM uses Dimarzios, but that's besides the point.

Also, with active pickups, when the battery dies, do you have to buy a new pickup? Or can you just take out the pickup and change the battery?
u dont have to buy a new pickup they are powerd buy a square 9v battery in the back of the guitar u just change it.
duncan 7-string invader
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Zakk Wylde uses EMG's, but also wildly endorses the MG. Why blindly buy something someone endorses?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I've yet to hear pickups better than Seymour Duncan Blackouts (at least for metal).
Quote by acdclandon
Zakk Wylde uses EMG's, but also wildly endorses the MG. Why blindly buy something someone endorses?

He endorses the MG because that's his practice amp. He gets them for free. MG's are a huge ripoff. Come on. The only reason why MG's are so hated is because they're worth half of what they sell for. They'd be fine if they were half the price.

Also, that's how he gets paid. I'd take cash and free JCM800's for saying MG's and Spiders rock (GC workers anyone?). What the hell kind of smart person would refuse?

On topic, I gotta say EMG's. No doubt. They sound generic, but hey, they only sound generic because every big name uses them. Why does everybody use them? Because they're awesome. My favorite passive pickup is the Duncan Distortion for rock and the Dimarzio D-Activator X for metal. I rarely ever use the neck pickup with distortion, so I can't comment.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I think I might go with EMGs. Should I get the 707s, or the 707TWs?
And what's the difference between those two?
Quote by Mathcorey
I think I might go with EMGs. Should I get the 707s, or the 707TWs?
And what's the difference between those two?

you can tap the TW's with a push pull pot or a switch so you use only one coil. It emulates the single coil sound. It's not exactly sc sounding, but it's a cool feature.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
you can tap the TW's with a push pull pot or a switch so you use only one coil. It emulates the single coil sound. It's not exactly sc sounding, but it's a cool feature.

So, if I use the regular 707 and flick the switch (on the pickups selector, of course) to the single coil position, it won't do anything?
Quote by Mathcorey
So, if I use the regular 707 and flick the switch (on the pickups selector, of course) to the single coil position, it won't do anything?

There is no single coil position on a pickup switch unless you wire it to tap the pickups. The middle position typically just uses both pickups at once. EMG's are not capable of being tapped unless you buy one that it, like the TW. I think you should just get the 707TW, which comes with a push-pull tone pot. When you pull it, you use only one coil. It's just an extra little feature you don't have to use at all.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
He endorses the MG because that's his practice amp. He gets them for free. MG's are a huge ripoff. Come on. The only reason why MG's are so hated is because they're worth half of what they sell for. They'd be fine if they were half the price.

Also, that's how he gets paid. I'd take cash and free JCM800's for saying MG's and Spiders rock (GC workers anyone?). What the hell kind of smart person would refuse?

On topic, I gotta say EMG's. No doubt. They sound generic, but hey, they only sound generic because every big name uses them. Why does everybody use them? Because they're awesome. My favorite passive pickup is the Duncan Distortion for rock and the Dimarzio D-Activator X for metal. I rarely ever use the neck pickup with distortion, so I can't comment.

Really my point was to just go and try out the pickups and buy what YOU want and YOU want from a pickup, not what some famous guitarist uses.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
You probably do not want emg's because you would have to route your guitar to fit them, I'd go for blackouts if you want actives because they make a standard seven string size.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by apak
There is no single coil position on a pickup switch unless you wire it to tap the pickups. The middle position typically just uses both pickups at once. EMG's are not capable of being tapped unless you buy one that it, like the TW. I think you should just get the 707TW, which comes with a push-pull tone pot. When you pull it, you use only one coil. It's just an extra little feature you don't have to use at all.

I thought flicking it up one on a 5-way switch makes it activate a single coil?
Quote by Mathcorey
I thought flicking it up one on a 5-way switch makes it activate a single coil?

That guitar doesn't ahve a 5way. If you want to do some custom wiring, you can get a 5 way.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Mathcorey

Damn that's weird. I'd just get a 3 way and a coil tap push-pull knob. If you're gonna leave the wiring stock, you gotta get the tappable EMG's or you could mess the pups up.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack