Page 1 of 2
Just out of curiosity i was just wondering if anyone would consider him a good drummer. I personally do but its just my opinion. I also think Mike Dirnt is a great bassist and BJ Armstrong is a good singer/guitarists. Very talented band I think.
This just seems like it's gonna spark a lot of bitching.
Anyway; I think Tre Cool is a great drummer. I don't think Mike Dirnt is too exceptional at bass, but he's certainly not bad.
And Billy Joe is actually a damn good guitarist, he just doesn't show case is, especially not anymore.
Listen to some of his early solos, they're actually quite impressive.
Nah I would not say he is "good" , rather just competent enough.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
He's a good high energy drummer, and isn't to shabby when it comes to the slower paced songs. But i'd call him Decent, not great. Mike on the other hand really isn't that outstanding of a bass player, He can keep a rhythm...and that's bout it. As for Billy Joe, well...not exactly anything to write home about.
Tres pretty good. I like mikes playing hes pretty good but not the best bassist ever but he has his moments (Who Wrote Holden Caulfield or One for the Razorbacks or the breakdown in Chump) and billies on hell of a guitarist. At the Library is a great example. And his solo on One for the Razorback is phenomenal.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
rush kicks green day's ass
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Tre Cool is a started out as a great drummer.
His playing on some of the new songs sucks in comparison.
I'm not much of a Green Day fan though.
Quote by rushpython
rush kicks green day's ass

Hm.
Something tells me you might like Rush's music.
Fortunately, we aren't discussing them here.

More related: "good". of course, is a subjective term. It means different things to different people. If you mean technically proficient, then the answer is no; none of the members of Green Day really are. But they are good at what they do, which is (or at least was, before American Idiot) crafting punchy pop-punk songs.
If you think that's "good" drumming please check out Stanton Moore, of Galactic, and Zach Velmer, of STS9 (Sound Tribe Sector 9), they are probably the best living drummers. Though Matt Abts, ?uestlove, and Yonrico Scott are up there too.
Quote by Ramblin'_Man
If you think that's "good" drumming please check out Stanton Moore, of Galactic, and Zach Velmer, of STS9 (Sound Tribe Sector 9), they are probably the best living drummers.

Define good. If by good you mean providing exactly what the music calls for, then Tre' is a good drummer. And this is coming from someone that can't stand green day. Now, if we're going to get into the realms of pure technical wizardry Tre' wouldn't stand a chance, nor would a great portion of those "jam" band guys.
he's alright, but hes totally crazy. saw them at the o2 in Dublin on october 21st. he was wearing a huge bra outside of his own clothing, a giant hat and pink sunglasses. i'll tell you this, some of their material may not be the best, be they sure know how to put on a show. almost 3 hours of their best songs from every album. it was amazin
Im don't think any pop-punker could be considered a good drummer.

That being said though, Tre'>Barker

(I 'effing hate that guy)
Gear

Fender Mustang

Fender Telecaster

Fender Frontman 212R

Johnson Marquis JM60

Devi Ever Rocket

Boss Super Phaser

Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Quote by HeadHunter241
Pull your head out of your ass.

What if...say...Neil Peart had a pop punk side project? Would he automatically turn into a shit drummer?

One listen of Dookie should convince most non-elitists that Tré is a good drummer.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
I'd say he is good. He isn't great but i like his drumming style personally. I like everyone in Green Day, and while they might not be the most talented band out there they put on one HELL of a show.
Quote by HeadHunter241

Haha made me laugh.

Mostly because of its terrible, terrible inaccuracy.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
hes ok i guess
as for the rest of theband, when it comez to their instuments, not so much
Quote by identityxcrysis
Listen to some of his early solos, they're actually quite impressive.
Eh, only when compared to the rest of his work. They aren't too hard.

Still, I like a lot of Green Day songs(including the entirety of their first four albums), so I'm not holding that against him. Chump/Longview is probably my favorite song.
He's not Tomas Haake but I like some of his fills.

I don't know why the hell do people hate Green Day.
They've got some of the best voice lines I've heard, and some of the catchiest songs ever.
But if you're not that much into punk, well... you're just not getting it.
Tre was at his best around the early to late 90's. He is one hell of a drummer....
The most talented man on earth...
Quote by Second Rate
Define good. If by good you mean providing exactly what the music calls for, then Tre' is a good drummer. And this is coming from someone that can't stand green day. Now, if we're going to get into the realms of pure technical wizardry Tre' wouldn't stand a chance, nor would a great portion of those "jam" band guys.

Have you heard Kris Myers of Umphrey's McGee? Dude's got a master in jazz drumming and plays in a jam band, about as technical as they come in that genre. Also Stanton is a very schooled drummer as well. Zach Velmer is good but can't play as well as he used to.
wow..what a stupid question..

tre cool is one of the best drummers in rock n roll history

listen to dookie, american idiot, and some earlier green day.

tre plays not to show off, but to play the music correctly and make the song sound good.

green day could kick the shit out of rush, btw
er...i think tré is a very good drummer, but Mark Schulman is a good drummer too...
listen to Worry Rock and Ha ha you're dead, then you'll know he's a good drummer
Quote by greendayFTW

tre plays not to show off, but to play the music correctly and make the song sound good.

This post reeks of fanyboyism. I agree, Tre's a very competent drummer, and excellent at providing what the music calls for. Although, I'm not sure American Idiot is a great example of his skil.

But in what sense could Green Day kick the shit out of Rush? Technical skill? Nah. Songwriting? Possibly. Depends on what you're into.
Tney're not exactly masters of their instruments. They don't need to be. Billie Joe has excellent songwriting, and that far outweighs any crap about talent. But yeah, Tre isn't exactly the best, nor is Mike. Billie is fairly good, though.
Tre cool is a good drummer mike is a good bassist and billie is an awsome guitarist
Quote by bmxslush
Tre cool is a good drummer mike is a good bassist and billie is an awsome guitarist

erm...no

tre is ok
mike is nothing wow
billie does not do good guitar peices. the solos are easy as anything and are usually just notes in 8ths or 4ths and all he can play is power chords. while sometimes power chords are need EVERYTHING is power chords, no single note riffs, no chord porgression
That whole band is average and IMO thats being nice. They got big through Armstrong. Everyone else in the band doesnt really seem to matter at all.

And FWIW a BAD rush song is better musically and deeper conceptually than say...American Idiot.
hes good but a bit overrated
Sarcasm is beautiful, think about it.
He is good enough to play Green Day. Never heard him play anything else, so I dunno how good he really is, seems okay though.
Quote by greendayFTW
all tre does is show off. he may be semi good, but he is more of a show off than anything.

now i know you're just a troll
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Hes a decent enough drummer, dirnt isnt a great bassist but is very competent and I like his backing vocals, and billy jo is a good song writer but not from what i can obtain an amazing guitarist
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by '93
hes ok i guess
as for the rest of theband, when it comez to their instuments, not so much

actually mike is quiet talented. i saw a vid of a green day concert where they broke out into a jazz jam (im actually dead serious) and he started showing off. he plays bass pretty dam good. as for BJ, good songwriter but only so-so guitarist.
Quote by greendayFTW

his account was made this month and his name is greendayFTW

troll.
Its Green Day. If they all played like freaks it wouldnt be Green Day.
...In my opinion.
Page 1 of 2