what that title says.

I went to my local guitar shop (Long & Mcquade) and they have a lot of Ibanez guitars.

I tried my friends Ibanez once, don't know the model, but it wasn't an expensive one. I liked it very much.

I was originally looking at Jackson King V guitars - the cheaper brands but there are none at the shop I am at. There was a second hand one for 500, but it was in pretty rough shape and only had 22 frets and I think it later sold.

Some go for 299 up to the 700 and 800s. Some are on going on sale soon because it's getting close to Christmas.

There are also a few used in my town.

- SA series
- EX Series
- RG series

I would like some feedback from people who use Ibanez to play metal, or anyone who uses one of these particular models at all. I hear any Ibanez electric is very veristile.
RG is pretty decent, my buddy owns one and after 2 years its flaws have really shown. Its a mid level one, not sure on the exact model. I've heard good things on the SA from the owner of my local guitar shop, he owns one. I'd say go for that, because that guy really knows what hes talking about.

Edit: Vague I know, but its all just my opinion that I don't care to back up.
Depends on which specific model really.No point in trying to be vague so it's worth it in trying to find out what the models are and then going from there and see if they suit you.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Depends on which specific model really.No point in trying to be vague so it's worth it in trying to find out what the models are and then going from there and see if they suit you.

true, well do you recommend a specific model then?
I have an Ibanez RG470 and it is my main guitar for metal, I have a very simple setup and I can attest to the quality of the RG series in general. They have few competitors in their lower price range.

the one i dont recommend is the RG120 its the cheapest model at around 200 bucks new. Most people actually like it I just think it sounds different in a negative way.

But as for specific RG models they are all pretty similar (not to be confused however with the high-end RG prestige and GRG series) they just differ in paint, fret inlays and pickups array, they also make Floyd rose and fixed bridge models. I also think some of them have different models of the floyd rose bridge, but i've never noticed a difference.

I live 4 miles from a guitar store and just play all different types of guitars all day, and while there are better guitars, I just think that for all they offer at their price, pretty much any RG series guitar would meet, and most likely exceed, youre expectations.
Last edited by thegreatbuddha at Dec 6, 2009,
This is the one I ordered that's specific to MF:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481914

I wish I would've waited or looked a little harder because they also have a RGA with active pickups, a mahogany body (even though their site says basswood), and a gibraltar fixed bridge. Mine just has a flamed top and sharktooth inlays but I'm missing out on the active pickups and the mahogany body. By the way, I know the RGA's real body makeup by checking the model on Ibanez's website. Here's it's link there at MF:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA32-Electric-Guitar?sku=620738

Those both have a 25.5" scale and 24 frets. I would say great guitars to down tune and play some metal or hard rock. Good Luck!

By the way this was just my personal opinion on cheaper Ibanez guitars.
Last edited by Supermansdead81 at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Do you have a budget?

I would prefer 700 and under

Quote by Offworld92
Depends. Do you want a locking trem, non-locking trem or a fixed bridge?

tremolo does not matter, my current guitar does not have one and I don't really need one. Looks like a lot of Ibanez have one anyway.
Quote by dyce
I would prefer 700 and under

tremolo does not matter, my current guitar does not have one and I don't really need one. Looks like a lot of Ibanez have one anyway.

Ibanez RGA 32, RGA 42 or a 2nd hand RGA prestige. 24 frets, no trem, feels great in my hands (the 32 does, cause they already sold the others) and thats why I have that one
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by Slicer666
Ibanez RGA 32, RGA 42 or a 2nd hand RGA prestige. 24 frets, no trem, feels great in my hands (the 32 does, cause they already sold the others) and thats why I have that one

This all the way a good 2nd hand RGA prestige is definitely worth it and it's awesome as well. Otherwise if you want new then Ibanez RGT6EX which is neck thru and has active EMG pickups.
Grab an RG321MH and some new pickups and you'll be good to go.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I have the RG2550Z the wizard necks are perfect for fast shred and metal you will want to stay away from the locking trems if this is your first guitar mine can be a pain in the ass sometimes.
I agree on the 321 or the 421, I have the 421 and love it. Fixed bridge at this price point should be dead reliable for years.
Quote by ch0
Grab an RG321MH and some new pickups and you'll be good to go.

this.
Get an 80's RG used from the 80's or early 90's
it will be cheap and blow away anything in a guitar store
To answer your question simply: Yes, yes I would.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
well I am looking on a website called usedvictoria in my town and I cannot find any second hand prestige or RG series. Only SA series.

There is only one RG 321 sold at Long and Mcquade - http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/3021/ - I am assume that is the one you are all talking about? It is 375$ CAN. The prestige is 1000 up.
Quote by dyce
well I am looking on a website called usedvictoria in my town and I cannot find any second hand prestige or RG series. Only SA series.

There is only one RG 321 sold at Long and Mcquade - http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/3021/ - I am assume that is the one you are all talking about? It is 375$ CAN. The prestige is 1000 up.
That's the one. It's annoying how expensive it is now though. I got mine a little over a year ago for $310+tax.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
well that's just from the website. I will have to go back to Long and Mcquade and see if I can get it a bit cheaper.

Is the GRG series the step up from this one? Then the prestige? I don't know where SA falls, but it looks like the cheapest.
Quote by Rocknawe
The S520EX is pretty sweet for $600 new.

seriously look into this
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by dyce
Is the GRG series the step up from this one? Then the prestige? I don't know where SA falls, but it looks like the cheapest.
The GRG is the cheapest of the RGs while the SA is an entirely different product line.
Quote by Marty Friedman
well that's 755 $ CAN that's a big jump.

it only has 22 frets doesn't it
Quote by dyce
well that's 755 $ CAN that's a big jump.

it only has 22 frets doesn't it
Frankly, I never use the 23rd or 24th frets on my RGs.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Absolutely. My ibanez RG170DX is a low end ibanez and it was a great first guitar. The only thing is the pickups are a little bland at times but the playability of them is astounding.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
BTW, that RG3 or whatever that is exclusive to MF... That thing is badass. If that actually is Mohogany, that means the only difference between it and the 421 is the nonreverse headstock which is subjective anyway, and it's $100 cheaper. Same pickups and all.