Im thinking about trying to build a guitar. more just for fun. but i dont know where there is a good source with a large variety of exotic top woods (spalted maple,birdseye maple,claro walnut,curly koa,burl poplar, cinnamon) and body/neck woods (mahogany, swamp ash, maple, basswood) who sells these?
Ebay, google some companies, warmoth, and local lumberyards to name a few places. Check your phone book for lumberyards and go check them out.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Local lumberyards are THE BEST place to get wood.
Where are you located?
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Local lumberyards are the way to go. If you go looking for body blanks on the internet, a decently sized slab of Grade B mahogany will set you back like $75 or more. It's a complete scam. About a year ago I went to my local lumberyard and had a 7 foot tall door made of good mahogany free of knots for under $300.

Seriously, lumberyard.
Quote by Seref
Local lumberyards are the way to go. If you go looking for body blanks on the internet, a decently sized slab of Grade B mahogany will set you back like $75 or more. It's a complete scam. About a year ago I went to my local lumberyard and had a 7 foot tall door made of good mahogany free of knots for under $300.

Seriously, lumberyard.

That's close to normal, actually. The real ripoffs are people who sell them for over a 100 online, which is fairly common.
When you take into account, the board cost, plus the planing fee, plus a jointing plane fee, plus joining the blank, that's about right.

How do i know? I sell 'em too. I don't sell them at $75 though, just under.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by zappmi35
i live in Canada (ottawa ontario area)

I doubt it would be hard to find lumberyards there.
Theres no such thing as instrument grade lumber, tonewood is a con made up by luthier suppliers to slap a surcharge on their wood.

Guitar manufacturers use pretty bad wood on their cheap guitars when its under a solid finish, but you would never see that labelled as tonewood from a luthier supplier.

Its all in the inspection, you MAKE it tonewood when you select the piece from the lumberyard.

You are looking for an absence of knots, preferably very straight quarter sawn wood (unless the effect you are looking for dictates flat sawn like figuring) with very little end cracking or ideally the ends sealed, as well as being dry stable flat etc

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
speaking of quality lumber. I have a few pieces of oak boards lying around and was wondering if i should try to make a ghitar body with it?
Quote by loganleunidus
speaking of quality lumber. I have a few pieces of oak boards lying around and was wondering if i should try to make a ghitar body with it?

From what i know about wood. Oak isn't the best tone wood.. i have allot of cherry wood laying around my house but i dont want to make a guitar out of it simply because it is not the best tonewood. i suppose you could try it out and if you like the sound then maybe you could start a new trend by posting threads up about how nice the wood sounds. I say if youve got the time to experiment go for it. Oak is generally expensive wood so maybe thats why companies DONT use it.
About the oak--no reason you can't besides that it's not common. As long as the board are very well dried out.
Cherry is a great tonewood. Just because something isn't common doesn't mean it's bad.

Oak is also pretty decent. From what I understand it has a lot of similarity to Ash.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by Locked_Deadbolt
I'm not sure where you are in Ottawa, but there's a lumber yard out in Manotick on Mitch Owens.

Linky: http://www.wood-source.com/

Yeh i live about 20 minutes away from manotic thats a good source thanks man.
not sure what sizes they offer, but there are online sites that sell custom knife parts. knife makers use crazy and high quality woods. i know cause i used to make knives. ive bought, all sorts of maple, ebony, and CRAZY stuff. something called brazilian tulip wood etc.

they had like AAA walnut and stuff. it was real expensive. problem is i bought small peices. not sure how large a peice of wood they would offer. could do some research.
Quote by ikey_
not sure what sizes they offer, but there are online sites that sell custom knife parts. knife makers use crazy and high quality woods. i know cause i used to make knives. ive bought, all sorts of maple, ebony, and CRAZY stuff. something called brazilian tulip wood etc.

they had like AAA walnut and stuff. it was real expensive. problem is i bought small peices. not sure how large a peice of wood they would offer. could do some research.

oh thats really cool cuz a little while ago i was really into knives. maybe if i got some guitar making equippment i could change out the band on the bandsaw and make some knives as well. maybe make some folders or something. i used to always want a strider sng maybe i could make something similar with wood handle scales. yah, i'll be sure to check out thier site and see what they've got.
Quote by zappmi35
Im thinking about trying to build a guitar. more just for fun. but i dont know where there is a good source with a large variety of exotic top woods (spalted maple,birdseye maple,claro walnut,curly koa,burl poplar, cinnamon) and body/neck woods (mahogany, swamp ash, maple, basswood) who sells these?

There is a guy on ebay in Canada called Fraser Valley Finewoods. He is superb.

Hell, I live in the UK and I will be buying from him.

I would start there.

SkeetEdit: Here Clicky

I don't think that linking Ebay is against the rules and I have just been to check, but if the Mods disagree then I am sorry.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jan 10, 2010,
If you have no success in finding a lumber yard with the correct woods you need, which happened to me, you might be better off trying to find a "hardwoods" store. Hardwoods referring to the woods you commonly make a guitar. Lumber yards, at least in the US, usually have woods make for building houses, patios, bridges, etc.
I've had amazing luck with ebay, to be honest. All the wood for my custom builds has pretty much come from there.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
I get mine from a very large local supplier. I think you'd be surprised at the amount of lumber yards, not commercial stores, that carry decent wood.

Tone wood.... it's kind of uneducated I think. When I think tonewoods, acoustics come to mind instantly.

I've heard claims that wood joints kill sustain, but I have to argue otherwise. It has a neglible effect if any. Custom bass guitars have laminate body wings some of the time, which are quite beautiful once the body is shaped and finished.

I am using a figured cherry top on a 6 string bass I am working on. I don't pick out tonewood, I pick out what looks best. Cherry is poor man's mahogany. It's fairly similiar in the way it acts with tools. The color is lighter and has a very unique grain. Plus, it's domestic and most of the time, relatively cheap.

Oak looks similiar to ash. I don't know how badly oak effects tools, no worse than woods like bloodwood, purpleheart, and ebony though. If you have decent tools, and keep them sharpened, you will have no problem.

Make a guitar from oak. If it is your first guitar, the first build is more of a feeler thing. It can come out very nice, but you will learn a TON from building a first guitar.