I'm probably an intermediate guitarist (beginner to most of you i'm sure). I've been playing for 8 months and i just tuned my guitar a half step down for the first time, I LOVE how it sounds...

in theory would i be able to always keep it a half step down and play any song i want? It sounds very much like regular tuning it just seems to give it a little more edge ya know?
Quote by zcaz
in theory would i be able to always keep it a half step down and play any song i want?

Yes. Yes you could
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
and if u really need to play in standard, just pop a capo on fret 1 and move everything up 1 fret. easy. and yes, half step down is amazing.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
thanks for the quick replies guys, and yea wow...putting a capo on first fret is great, sounds just like standard...ah guitar just gets better and better everyday lol
one thing to watch out for, because the strings are loose you may lose some of your finger strength and calluses. so try to practice in standard once in awhile, even if you want to play in front of other people and stuff in Eb
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by zcaz
thanks for the quick replies guys, and yea wow...putting a capo on first fret is great, sounds just like standard...ah guitar just gets better and better everyday lol

thats cause it IS standard . and the only downside is u lose 1 fret at the bottom of the board, but really, how often do u need it. and yes it does get better every time u learn something new, so go learn something new everyday, got it?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Both Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn always played in E Flat (half-step down) - but to be honest, I've never really understood why? Obviously the rest of the band doesn't tune down like that. I guess it's because there is less tension on the strings and they are easier to bend perhaps? Maybe it's easier to sing in the key of E flat? Just curious if anyone knows what started the half-step down thing.
Quote by rhoadsfan92
one thing to watch out for, because the strings are loose you may lose some of your finger strength and calluses. so try to practice in standard once in awhile, even if you want to play in front of other people and stuff in Eb

Very good point, I've worked hard on my finger and hand strength so i probably will continue to practice in standard(even though i'd much rather hear it tuned down lol)

Quote by xxunder-takerxx
thats cause it IS standard . and the only downside is u lose 1 fret at the bottom of the board, but really, how often do u need it. and yes it does get better every time u learn something new, so go learn something new everyday, got it?

ohh ic, yea that makes perfect sense, and psh i don't think any songs in my repertoire use 2 of the last frets so i'll probably be able to manage lol, thanks alot for the advice guys, i really appreciate it.
Quote by talibanjo
Both Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn always played in E Flat (half-step down) - but to be honest, I've never really understood why? Obviously the rest of the band doesn't tune down like that. I guess it's because there is less tension on the strings and they are easier to bend perhaps? Maybe it's easier to sing in the key of E flat? Just curious if anyone knows what started the half-step down thing.

I would assume the rest of the band would tune down as well, because if Hendrix hit the Eb, the bassist might need to match that pitch, but an octave down.
Quote by talibanjo
Both Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn always played in E Flat (half-step down) - but to be honest, I've never really understood why? Obviously the rest of the band doesn't tune down like that.

Huh? Of course the whole band needs to tune their instruments the same way.
Quote by zipa
Huh? Of course the whole band needs to tune their instruments the same way.

Well, the stringed instruments do - bass / guitar.. but I was referring to other instruments - pianos, keyboard players are usually good at just transposing on the fly... bands with horn sections, etc. Bands come in lots of flavors
Quote by talibanjo
Well, the stringed instruments do - bass / guitar.. but I was referring to other instruments - pianos, keyboard players are usually good at just transposing on the fly... bands with horn sections, etc. Bands come in lots of flavors

Hendrix didnt play with pianos, keyboards, horns or brass in his bands...So why mention him
SRV played with 13's on his strat so it paid to be tuned down a half step
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
It's often done to accomodate a singer as it's a little easier than transposing all the songs you've learned.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com