I currently own and frequently use an Ibanez RG120, and an ESP LTD M-200FM. Both still have their stock pickups. I play metalcore, and I take a lot of inspiration from mainly Drop Dead, Gorgeous, but also a lot from bands like Atreyu and All That Remains, as well as heavy metal/metalcore bands such as Lamb of God, Trivium and Bullet for My Valentine.

I really like the way the stock INF4 bridge pickup in the Ibanez sounds, but the LTD LH-301's sound is lacking. I am looking to upgrade both to a better pickup (they both have Agathis bodies). I was looking into the EMG H4 or the DiMarzio X2N, but I don't know which of those, if either of them would have a sound similar to the INF4, but better. I'm not sure how to describe exactly what I'm looking for, but something similar to the INF4, but... Bigger, I guess? I want something that has more bite, and that is more sensitive to harmonics.

Any suggestions?
I would like to put forth the suggestion (and im pretty sure some will disagree) that if you can shell out the dough get Q-tuners .

It might seem counter intuitive since a matched set will cost you more than than your 120 did, but ive known guitarists to (insert clever metaphor for orgasm) at the sound.

It ultimately comes down to preference, some will tell you EMG some will tell you DiMarzio.

I am telling you Q-tuners because that is my preference, the Super high Z/Medium Z (bridge/neck) sounds amazing with the most massively distorted metal riffs and solos and have a clean tone that i have never heard matched. I find myself lacking words to describe the tone, because whether clean or overdriven, it just sounds good.

I found a vid of some guy with a ibanez with q-tuners, so that you might get an idea. It doesnt really do justice to the pickup but definitely doesnt sound bad, there arent a lot of vids on youtube displaying its metal capabilities because most people are blown away by its clean tones but dont let that make you believe it cant pump out some amazing shred tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec72sB7Pki0
Thank you for replying, I thought that no one would... Those pickups are really expensive, but that video sounds as you said, orgasmic. I've never heard of these before, but I will give them serious consideration as an option when I have more money to spend...
Im glad i could help, Its just my opinion like i said.

I would also like to add as a slightly less costly suggestion a set of Seymour Duncan blackouts, they will probably run you 170 bucks (still a lot money i know) for a matched set or about 90 for just one. THey are active pickups so you will have to take that into account, but they are ultra high output and give a perfect amount of bite and chunk.

My friend has one in the bridge of his schecter, and we do a cover of Hearts burst into Fire that gives me goosebumps to hear the intro solo. (I play the clean intro riff with the Q-tuners)
What amp do you have? If the amp is a low end one then you may just not be able to notice any major differences to your sound.
It is a low end Vypyr, and I know all of the shit talk they get, but the thing is that I can actually get a really good metalcore sound out of it on the Fender Deluxe clean model and a Boss DS-1. It sounds extremely close to an Avenged Sevefold tone, and I really just like it a lot. I'm wondering if there are pickups I can get that will improve that tone without me having to change my amp setup. But if you say it won't make a difference without a better amp, then what do you suggest?
I'd really recommend saving for a new amp. I've got the X2N and it's a monster but I don't know if it sounds similar to the INF4. Don't think it'll suit you much to be honest.
Duncan SH-6 B and SH-2 neck does it all!!!
handles Drop-G to E-Standard very well!!

I actually prefer SH-6 over EMG n Blackouts
mind you both have their applications

note: only the SH-6 and SH-8 use same Magnets that
are in todays active pickups
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
What do you recommend I save for as far as amps go? If I do need a better amp to get the full potential out of my pickups, what amp would be able to do that, in your opinion?
Well what are you willing to spend on a good amp is the first q? SO how much?
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Offworld92
It is a low end Vypyr, and I know all of the shit talk they get, but the thing is that I can actually get a really good metalcore sound out of it on the Fender Deluxe clean model and a Boss DS-1. It sounds extremely close to an Avenged Sevefold tone, and I really just like it a lot. I'm wondering if there are pickups I can get that will improve that tone without me having to change my amp setup. But if you say it won't make a difference without a better amp, then what do you suggest?

Given the way you're setup then no, pickups aren't going to get you any closer to the sound you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Given the way you're setup then no, pickups aren't going to get you any closer to the sound you want.

I understand that, I keep getting told to change/improve my setup, but what I don't know or understand is what to get. What to upgrade to. I'm going in fairly blind, and I am told often that I need a better amp, but I don't know exactly why I do, or if I do what I need to achieve the kind of sound I want.
It's really unhelpful when everyone tells me to get a better amp, but not why or which one.