so, the amp i am currently using is a Vox AC30H2L. I'll let you google it to find out the information on it. its basically a very, very rare handwired AC30 reissue. I love it like a child. however... it was not my first choice of amps back when i got it. my first choice was a Marshall 1959 SLP but due to the INSANE volume of this amp, the price, and my lack of suitable places to play it I opted for the vox. recently however, I have been offered the opportunity to get a used 1959slp for about $2300 with a beautiful 1960ax cab loaded with greenbacks. now, since i bought the vox my basement has also been finished with soundproofed drywall (because of the vox ) meaning i now have an adequate home space for it, and regular gigs with which to let loose. I've been weighing my pros and cons, but also would like to hear some reviews and pros/cons from actual 1959 slp owners. would you sell the awesome limited vox for the equally awesome 1959 SLP?

the other equipment I'm plugging into it are

Guitars:
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2006 Gibson EDS-1275

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive (will be a Jetter GS3 by the time i get the plexi, often will not be using any overdrive pedal at all however)
Electro Harmonix Cathedral Reverb
Vox Time Machine

Influences/type of sound I am looking to achieve

Led Zeppelin
Dire Straits
Band Of Gypsys/ Jimi Hendrix Experience
Allman Brothers
U2
Cream/Eric Clapton
etc.

My tone is a very bluesy/classic rock, low - moderate overdrive sound. No metal at all so gain is not a worry on either of these.

tl;dr: vox ac30h2l or marshall 1959slp, which would you choose?

apologize for wall of text, but it's in Paragraphs for you so it's not too bad
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The Marshall for sure, but is it an original? What year? What kind of condition? The 1959 slp's were quite variable in the quality of build so don't go out and pay 2300 for an original that doesn't have the right mojo.

It's a 2005 reissue. If i could get an original HEAD for that price I'd be afraid it was stolen.
I personally would stay away from the reissues tbh. They are made with totally different parts than the originals and are made at a much lower quality. With that kind of cash you could get a custom builder to build you top of the line clone with quality caps, tubes, transformers, etc. Ceriatone is a great budget option but shipping can be pricey. The best Marshall clone companies that I know of are Metropoulos, Germino, and Ceriatone. The Ceriatone is the most budget friendly, while the Metro and Germino will give you the most accurate Plexi clones for quite a bit more money.

My advice is to use that money on something better quality than a reissue.
I'd say the Vox. I think the Marshall would be a bit dark for bright U2 sound,
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
stay with the vox, i would rather have that than a reissue my self
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
well its a reissue to though.

lol true, didnt think of tht DOH!
You're going to run into a little problem that plagues all Marshalls. This thing has to be loud before you get that "Marshall" tone. Loud as in permenant ringing in your ears and shake your walls. They just don't as good untill you start pushing the power tubes and your bandmates as well as every sound guy at your gigs will forever hate you.

You're better off getting a lower wattage model such as the JTM 45 or the 1974x
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I wouldn't sell that Vox simply because it is a limited edition and you would have a hard time replacing it. The Marshall 1959 SLP is a legendary amp, and rightly so. But you would have to buy a power attenuator in order to get the most out of it. There is nothing quite like a very good 100-watt non-master volume tube amplifier cranked to the gills, but unless you are playing huge venues, an attenuator is an absolute must.
I'd keep the Vox. Even at gigging volumes, the Marshall won't be cooking.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't sell that Vox simply because it is a limited edition and you would have a hard time replacing it. The Marshall 1959 SLP is a legendary amp, and rightly so. But you would have to buy a power attenuator in order to get the most out of it. There is nothing quite like a very good 100-watt non-master volume tube amplifier cranked to the gills, but unless you are playing huge venues, an attenuator is an absolute must.

Attenuating doesn't sound so good, especially if you're attenuating to bedroom volumes. The best way to attenuate is to slightly drop the volume and crank the amp. If you can't, you might as well buy a lower wattage amp you know what I'm saying?

You should check out Cornford TS. The Hurricane and the Roadhouse 30 might be worth a looky.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I have been offered the opportunity to get a used 1959slp for about $2300 with a beautiful 1960ax cab loaded with greenbacks. now, since i bought the vox my basement has also been finished with soundproofed drywall (because of the vox ) meaning i now have an adequate home space for it, and regular gigs with which to let loose. I've been weighing my pros and cons, but also would like to hear some reviews and pros/cons from actual 1959 slp owners. would you sell the awesome limited vox for the equally awesome 1959 SLP?
A few things here, I don't care what the original owner did, but without an attenuator, you need a full stack if you are going to be using 4x12s with greenbacks. They are just not going to handle the power output of the amp. Turn it up to say... 5 or 6, and you will blow out that cab in no time.

If you have a soundproofed basement, then you can probably open it up a little down there, but don't think that because you gig regularly you're going to be able to let it loose. Gigging with the amp will be the toughest part, if you don't have an attenuator, you're never going to be able to turn it past 3 or 4, which is really only enough to add some hair to a clean tone, not really any crunch at all. Certainly not enough for the likes of Zeppelin, the Allman Brothers or Cream, you'll need the amp to be around 6 or 7 for that kind of crunch, and you'll never be able to pull that off unless you're playing a giant gig, with a lenient soundman, and an audience that is not afraid to go deaf.

A few years back I was debating between a 1987 (50 watts), 1959 and JTM45 (35 watts), and got a chance to try all 3, and used a 1987 in a band practice. Even at 50 watts, I had no trouble drowning out the band at 5 on the volume dial. After that little experience, I decided to go with the JTM45.
oh, and just so everyone knows, i DO have an attenuator, i've got a Hot Plate for the vox but will probably upgrade to a Weber MASS if i go with the marshall. you've got to remember, the vox im using is a non master volume model. the only controls on the entire panel are Tone, Bass Shift, Brilliance, Bass, Treble, and Volume. I've been dealing with a viciously loud amp for quite some time now.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
oh, and just so everyone knows, i DO have an attenuator, i've got a Hot Plate for the vox but will probably upgrade to a Weber MASS if i go with the marshall. you've got to remember, the vox im using is a non master volume model. the only controls on the entire panel are Tone, Bass Shift, Brilliance, Bass, Treble, and Volume. I've been dealing with a viciously loud amp for quite some time now.
with a Weber Mass, keep in mind you'll need to get the 200 watt model.

That being said, if you can attenuate it, then go ahead if the SLP is what you want. I know how much things cost down under so I can't say if it's a good price or not, but I'm going to assume it is.

As far as volume, if you think the AC30 is viciously loud, you're going to have your balls blown off the first time you rev up that Marshall. AC30s are rated at 30 watts and will pump out about 35 watts full out. A superlead is rated at 100 watts and will pump out ~200 watts full out. Expect something likened to a freight train barraging through your house.
Quote by al112987
with a Weber Mass, keep in mind you'll need to get the 200 watt model.

That being said, if you can attenuate it, then go ahead if the SLP is what you want. I know how much things cost down under so I can't say if it's a good price or not, but I'm going to assume it is.

As far as volume, if you think the AC30 is viciously loud, you're going to have your balls blown off the first time you rev up that Marshall. AC30s are rated at 30 watts and will pump out about 35 watts full out. A superlead is rated at 100 watts and will pump out ~200 watts full out. Expect something likened to a freight train barraging through your house.

down under? im Canadian lol. my location is from Finding Nemo.

And yeah i know the volume levels aren't really comparable, but i've dicked about with my Rhythm guitarists 100 watt Mesa Lonestar with the master volume full up, so i semi-understand the ball quaking volume. its a big decision lol.
news:

So, i've discovered that the dude selling the SLP is also selling a Metro clone of the JTM-45/100 with an installed master volume (back panel). It also has a pretty awesome red tolex coloring. He is also willing to sell that nice cab separately. he is willing to let the amp go for $900 even, and the cab for $600 even.

At this price i believe i will just sell my Deluxe Reverb and buy this and keep the vox and the marshall. Anyone know just how close the Metropoulos amps come to the original Marshalls in terms of sound and reliability? Is it more of a "JMI" sort of thing where its an exact replica of the original down to the finest details, or is it just a clone of the current reissue? The gut shots look awesome, the hand wiring is very neat and tidy, and im going to go test it out next weekend. will keep updated.
Interesting bit: the 1959 SLP reissues are supposedly based on a "magic' plexi belonging to Warren DeMartini. I don't know how true that is, but I found it interesting. Too bad Ratt/ DeMartini isn't the first thing I think of when I think about plexis.

However, keep the H2. It is (relatively) rare and will be hold its value better than a 1959SLP RI. Put a BB Preamp out front and you can get that AC30 screaming like a vintage plexi.

EDIT: Assuming the Metro kit is well done, go for it!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
news:

So, i've discovered that the dude selling the SLP is also selling a Metro clone of the JTM-45/100 with an installed master volume (back panel). It also has a pretty awesome red tolex coloring. He is also willing to sell that nice cab separately. he is willing to let the amp go for $900 even, and the cab for $600 even.

At this price i believe i will just sell my Deluxe Reverb and buy this and keep the vox and the marshall. Anyone know just how close the Metropoulos amps come to the original Marshalls in terms of sound and reliability? Is it more of a "JMI" sort of thing where its an exact replica of the original down to the finest details, or is it just a clone of the current reissue? The gut shots look awesome, the hand wiring is very neat and tidy, and im going to go test it out next weekend. will keep updated.
Metros are one of the best on the market. It's an exact replica, right down to custom spec transformers, original mustards, carbon comp resistors, everything. Smokes the Marshall reissue in all regards.

Test it out first though, a JTM45/100 is a sweet amp, imo, the greatest Marshall ever made, but it sounds different from a super lead. Luckily, it also does not push quite as much volume, it's closer to a 50 watt plexi as far as sheer volume goes. Also, if it was a home built one from a kit, make sure the lead dress is well done and everything, if the guy provides gut shots then you're probably good to go.

This is the famous JTM45/100 tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwZ8I8wOGA
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Metros are one of the best on the market. It's an exact replica, right down to custom spec transformers, original mustards, carbon comp resistors, everything. Smokes the Marshall reissue in all regards.

Test it out first though, a JTM45/100 is a sweet amp, imo, the greatest Marshall ever made, but it sounds different from a super lead. Luckily, it also does not push quite as much volume, it's closer to a 50 watt plexi as far as sheer volume goes. Also, if it was a home built one from a kit, make sure the lead dress is well done and everything, if the guy provides gut shots then you're probably good to go.

This is the famous JTM45/100 tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwZ8I8wOGA

It's not a home built one, it was one of the pre-built models completed by George Metropoulos so i know the build quality is rock solid.
$900 for that amp? That's a steal, because they sell for $3500 with a 2 month+ lead time from Metroamp directly. And similar with the only comparable amp that I'm aware of (the Germino Monterey 100)

I'd definitely buy that over a Super Lead personally, but I also prefer the JTM tone over the SL sound. Fatter, bluesier, basically THE amp for early Hendrix and Cream. Might need something to boost it into Zeppelin territory as it doesn't quite have the gain of a SL, especially not the Marshall reissue SL (which is not even a true replica of a plexi era SL)

$600 for that cab is also a good price.
Quote by al112987
$900 for that amp? That's a steal, because they sell for $3500 with a 2 month+ lead time from Metroamp directly. And similar with the only comparable amp that I'm aware of (the Germino Monterey 100)

I'd definitely buy that over a Super Lead personally, but I also prefer the JTM tone over the SL sound. Fatter, bluesier, basically THE amp for early Hendrix and Cream. Might need something to boost it into Zeppelin territory as it doesn't quite have the gain of a SL, especially not the Marshall reissue SL (which is not even a true replica of a plexi era SL)

$600 for that cab is also a good price.

i just found the reason... its $1900. he made a typo.

even still, thats a damn good deal
I'd say get that Metro.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
For $1900, it has to be that one. At first I was thinking that it was one of the kits, that was just assembled by George. That would run you about $1400ish. If the deals with this guy doesn't go through, I'd seriously check out PlexiReplicas.com or even Metroamp.com if you're on a tighter budge. You can get the kits assembled by George or someone else on the team for +$400 on the kit price.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Yeah $1900, still a good deal, completely different caliber compared to the Marshall reissues.
Quote by Shiromar
For $1900, it has to be that one. At first I was thinking that it was one of the kits, that was just assembled by George. That would run you about $1400ish. If the deals with this guy doesn't go through, I'd seriously check out PlexiReplicas.com or even Metroamp.com if you're on a tighter budge. You can get the kits assembled by George or someone else on the team for +$400 on the kit price.

so lets say i go the route of having the JTM 45 Kit built for me by metro amps, will i still be receiving the same quality as i would be receiving if i were to buy the $3500 JTM45/100? Im assuming its still built by George or one of his team members regardless of which model I buy, but thats a pretty massive price increase there. (i know they're different amps but still) for example, will it still be as exact a replica? their website is slightly confusing.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
so lets say i go the route of having the JTM 45 Kit built for me by metro amps, will i still be receiving the same quality as i would be receiving if i were to buy the $3500 JTM45/100? Im assuming its still built by George or one of his team members regardless of which model I buy, but thats a pretty massive price increase there. (i know they're different amps but still) for example, will it still be as exact a replica? their website is slightly confusing.
No, it won't be the same, it will have most of the same appointments, but some of things like NOS mustard caps will be spared, and they will use some more run of the mill parts (like your standard tube sockets, CNC cut chassis, modern production signal caps, though those are also specially designed Sozos). But yes, still exact replica. Just without sourcing all the vintage parts.

Also, the JTM45 is a great sounding amp, but is markedly different from a 45/100 (all the differences you would expect from a lower wattage amp, looser, dirtier, less definition, muddier low end, though some of these are looked upon as positive qualities) and is certainly much different from a super lead.
Quote by al112987
No, it won't be the same, it will have most of the same appointments, but some of things like NOS mustard caps will be spared, and they will use some more run of the mill parts (like your standard tube sockets, CNC cut chassis, modern production signal caps, though those are also specially designed Sozos). But yes, still exact replica. Just without sourcing all the vintage parts.

Also, the JTM45 is a great sounding amp, but is markedly different from a 45/100 (all the differences you would expect from a lower wattage amp, looser, dirtier, less definition, muddier low end, though some of these are looked upon as positive qualities) and is certainly much different from a super lead.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. The difference in price is going to get your that much closer to the exact vintage specs, with all premium parts. Even going for the "cheaper" one doesn't mean it's going to be cheap at all.
Fender '04 Strat

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
yeah, and the cheaper one still technically has premium parts itself, even if downgraded form vintage Mustards, Sozo caps are custom made mustard reissues for the purpose for building exact to spec Marshall clones, carbon comp resistors are all there and George's spec transformers are still the best on the market.
Quote by al112987
yeah, and the cheaper one still technically has premium parts itself, even if downgraded form vintage Mustards, Sozo caps are custom made mustard reissues for the purpose for building exact to spec Marshall clones, carbon comp resistors are all there and George's spec transformers are still the best on the market.

so basically, in order to grab myself a JTM 45 amplifier BETTER than what marshall is reissuing, I'm not even going to need to make the transformer upgrades or anything. this is deliciously appealing lol.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
so basically, in order to grab myself a JTM 45 amplifier BETTER than what marshall is reissuing, I'm not even going to need to make the transformer upgrades or anything. this is deliciously appealing lol.

Exactly. They have quite a few people on their forums too that you can talk to about stuff. Say you don't like the way the bass response is, you can post and I'm sure you'll get a number of responses detailing what people have done. Usually it's tweaking cap values and such, different tube combos and etc. I'm currently saving up to get a 50w '71 specs myself, although college books keep robbing that fund.
Fender '04 Strat

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
nope, and it's handwired, ptp like the originals, using the closest to original parts that you're going to find today, for really the same price or lower than Marshall's PCB, out of spec, crappy transformer reissues. It's really a no brainer, and the only reason why they aren't more popular is because the boutique clones are still relatively low profile and of course most people just don't search very hard when a "Marshall" reissue is already readily available. But you'll notice on the web at least, most of the vintage Marshall tone hounds will use clones along the lines of Metros/Germino/Blockhead, etc. or the modified boutique Marshall based amps like Reinhardt or Roccaforte.
Quote by Shiromar
Exactly. They have quite a few people on their forums too that you can talk to about stuff. Say you don't like the way the bass response is, you can post and I'm sure you'll get a number of responses detailing what people have done. Usually it's tweaking cap values and such, different tube combos and etc. I'm currently saving up to get a 50w '71 specs myself, although college books keep robbing that fund.
I had this issue before, now I go to class for a week or two, determine whether or not I'm even going to need a book at all, and for the classes that I do, I buy them used from Amazon and then sell them again at the end of the semester on Amazon, usually I break even.
Quote by Shiromar

i'll head on over there