I've always been faced with this "dilema" I sing to myself and can hear anything wrong but when I record and listen back or ask for someones opinion which is mostly (stick to your hands) it does sound different, not so much crap but just different. Apparently, this is quiet common though so I'm just wondering whether any of you have had this problem.
I'm pretty sure everybody's like this. I think I sound weird when I hear recordings of myself talking or singing. But after a while you kinda get used to it.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Everyone has this, man. Your voice is 'made' right between your ears, and resonates in the space between them (your head). Obviously something going on right between your ears is going to sound way different than something outside your ears. Record yourself a bunch and get used to hearing your ACTUAL voice, then you'll learn how to manipulate it well.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
got the answer just by looking around after posting this, gah... anyway, yeah looks like ile have to start recording.
There are a couple of things here, though.

Does your voice sounds 'bad' or simply 'unfamiliar?' Yes, everybody sounds different to themselves than they do when others hear them, or when they are recorded.

But.... you can't blame a poor recording on bad tuning, bad timing, a lack of resonance, etc. I think a lot of people miss that point. Of course, only you can determine that, unless you present us with a recording.

If that's the case, then you just need to tune your ear a little better and be more demanding in your judgments of what comes out of your mouth.

Now, if it is perfectly well in tune, for instance, and others say you sound bad, the problem lies in how you are producing your voice. People might be hearing a lack of robustness/strength/projection, a flat-ness of tone (ie. lack of resonance), or it might be nasal or whatever. It might sound okay to you because you're used to the sound of your voice, and you're merely listening to whether or not your voice is in tune. Check mark both points for good and move on, but the listener isn't satisfied. If that's the case, lessons will help with those timbral qualities.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
started recording myself with a samsung mobile phone (oldish) and since the sound quality isnt brilliant, does that affect my voice at all? I'm trying to present you with a recording but dunno whether i should do it on a good piece of equipment. My voice sounds good on the mobile however, like stated... dunno if the sound quality is giving me the best of qualitys.
I have the opposite issue in that other people tell me I'm good but i don't really hear it myself - it all boils down to the fact that the sound of your voice is different if you're listening to it whilst creating the sound.

That's why recording (or monitors in a live situation) is so useful for vocalists, it means you're hearing what everyone else can hear.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Think of it this way....

Which would sound better... Pavarotti recorded with a cell phone, or an enraged bull having a temper tantrum in front of a U87 loaded into a Neve console?

There's a very obvious difference between bad recording quality and a bad performance.

In fact.... here's a good example. Here is a recording (actually, snippets of one) of a live performance made twenty years ago with a ghetto blaster in the back of a church. You don't need to be Mutt Lange to figure out that there's a brilliant performance there.

http://www.now-here-this.com/Edward.mp3

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.