Recently I've been recording some of my guitar stuff and as i only have two pedals (a distortion pedal and a fuzz pedal) i add most of my effects afterwards via various VST software effects.

Basically I'm poor and was wondering if anyone knew how to apply effects like this in real time, so that i might be able to avoid buying pedals (at least for now) and be able to use my laptop as an effects pedal.

Its not a huge deal its just its easier to compose if i can have the effect in real time as a normal pedal.
Last edited by thegreatbuddha at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by thegreatbuddha
Recently I've been recording some of my guitar stuff and as i only have two pedals (a distortion pedal and a fuzz pedal) i add most of my effects afterwards via various VST software effects.

Basically I'm poor and was wondering if anyone knew how to apply effects like this in real time, so that i might be able to avoid buying pedals (at least for now) and be able to use my laptop as an effects pedal.

Its not a huge deal its just its easier to compose if i can have the effect in real time as a normal pedal.

It is possible.

I believe guitar rig has that feature.

Although when i tried real time processing, the latency was way too high to record with.
I dont know about using it just for effects, but I use my laptop as an amp with Amplitube and Peavey Revalver. You can get some really good tones from it, and its great for quiet practice.
If you have a modern computer and a good soundcard then the latency won't be a problem. Just run the cables through your computer and apply the effects on Guitar Rig or Amplitube (these are the most popular and the ones I've used, can't recommend you anything else). You will also need something that converts your instrument signal to line-level if you don't have an 'instrument in' on your soundcard alreay.
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
yeah thats what i was wondering, I was looking for specific programs or methods but i do have a fast computer with a good soundcard so ill check both out