I was over a friends house earlier today and we decided to listen to ...And Justice for All for the first time in forever. We got on the topic about how the bass is basically in-audible. He was saying that the album should just stay the way it is like that. Do you guys think that it should be remastered with bass turned up? or just keep it the way it is?
www.myspace.com/thepressmen
Check it out! If you do listen, ignore the bass playing on the songs. I recorded them when i was alot worse then i am now.

Quote by isildurs_bane
This is the pit. People will fight to the death about their favorite colour.
Depends if the bass is good or not. Like, seriously, the album needs a remastering on the guitar tone and drum kit alone. I wouldn't mind hearing it, but you gotta figure, save for a few segments in songs, Cliff never really had any audible basslines. For Whom The Bell Tolls, Seek and Destroy, Orion, Call of Ktulu... and Anesthesia if you want to count that.
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
I'd like to hear a remaster as long as they kept the original available, because like it or not, it's a unique mix that captures their sound at that time
Quote by nedthehead
Depends if the bass is good or not. Like, seriously, the album needs a remastering on the guitar tone and drum kit alone. I wouldn't mind hearing it, but you gotta figure, save for a few segments in songs, Cliff never really had any audible basslines. For Whom The Bell Tolls, Seek and Destroy, Orion, Call of Ktulu... and Anesthesia if you want to count that.

Cliff wasn't playing on ...And Justice anyhow. The bass is there, but it plays along to exactly the rhythm guitar, and is muffled, so it sounds just like the guitar has a LOT of bass to it. I wouldn't mind hearing some alternative bass lines to that album, but what's done is done, and I still like it.
Well then you run into that problem where they really don't like messing with tracks that were recorded by someone that is now dead. For some reason I find that those are the ones that hardly ever get a true remaster. But I don't mind those albums the way they are.
Quote by Rokeman
Cliff wasn't playing on ...And Justice anyhow. The bass is there, but it plays along to exactly the rhythm guitar, and is muffled, so it sounds just like the guitar has a LOT of bass to it. I wouldn't mind hearing some alternative bass lines to that album, but what's done is done, and I still like it.

Obviously. Just saying Metallica in general has never really given the bass enough of a place within their music
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
There is a torrent somewhere of it remastered by some guy. The drums sound sooo much better and the bass is more prominent. I replaced the original because I prefer the remaster.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by nedthehead

I mean, you can hear nearly every bass track on Kill Em' All. RTL and Master is a bit like that too.
www.myspace.com/thepressmen
Check it out! If you do listen, ignore the bass playing on the songs. I recorded them when i was alot worse then i am now.

Quote by isildurs_bane
This is the pit. People will fight to the death about their favorite colour.
This whole thing bout the bass being in too similar a frequency range as the guitar is ridiculous, as is the excuse that Newsted just followed the rhythm guitar. Check out the rips of the bass tracks from Justice on youtube. There's some very cool stuff in those basslines.

They buried him in the mix - the bass track just wasnt turned up. Ive read the same articles with Hetfield where he defends it, but its blatantly not true after you hear the tracks.
I think they should. It sucks how you can't hear the bass on that album. I've heard rumours it was because James was still bummed about Cliff so he turned down Newsteads mix because he couldn't bear hearing anyone else play bass at the time on their records.
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by BladeSlinger
There is a torrent somewhere of it remastered by some guy. The drums sound sooo much better and the bass is more prominent. I replaced the original because I prefer the remaster.

PM me a link? The drums are terrible on the album.
I have a version called And Justice For Jason which sounds like a positive improvement. You guys could search for it if you like.
IMO there never will be a remastered version. It would have been great, though. The production on the album is terrible, to put it mildly.
Quote by Alex Vik
PM me a link? The drums are terrible on the album.

If I could have a link too, that would be great.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
^ Me too
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Let me find it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I have the bass tablature book for And Justice For All. The parts resemble what the rhythm guitar is playing for a majority of the songs, but Jason plays a lot of chords and octaves in some parts too that sound interesting. It definitely would sound better with the bass more audible. That being said, Blackened is one of my favorite Metallica songs to play and Jason made a really cool bassline in that song.
Last edited by TheDEP at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by gljbass
Well then you run into that problem where they really don't like messing with tracks that were recorded by someone that is now dead. For some reason I find that those are the ones that hardly ever get a true remaster. But I don't mind those albums the way they are.

When did Jason die? lol

I wouldn't mind that link as well, I love Jason, would love to hear him lol
As would I
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by fleajr_1412
If I could have a link too, that would be great.

I'll take the link too please.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by BladeSlinger

dude could you send me via PM the link ?

on topic its a shame that a good record was bad mixed and it sucks the songs are great but they lack of bass IMO
Quote by nedthehead
Obviously. Just saying Metallica in general has never really given the bass enough of a place within their music

+infinity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnatnzxxtFE

Hmm this version is a little over kill with the bass levels, but i guess it gives people an idea of what they're missing.

My favourite tone for Metallica will always be the tone used on Four Horsemen, it was punchy and audible..can't think of any other 'Tallica songs I can describe like that.