The song is Full Pain of Loneliness in my profile, I'm pretty proud of the soulo
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Nice work dude! Nice chops and tight riffage. Got a real nice tone to the 'twanger's settings. You write alot?
Very cool. Nice playing, man! Just wanted to say that... You don't really need to crit anything of mine... Haha
thanks guys, I write as much as I can, there are a few more of my songs up on myspace.com/anomalyca
aNOMaly
i didn't really like the song at first, then the solo hit, then i thoguht it was alright, but right around the 2 minute mark it started to grow on me,
good job man, and wicked chops!
Nice work.........I think the mix could be better though. Everything seemed buried under the guitar riff. You definately have skills with that axe

indeed, i buried the bass underneath, but mainly because I am also the bassist there, and i turned it down until i felt comfortable with the sound...
aNOMaly
This sounded very bad. The guitars have too much treble and distortion.

But I'm supposed to judge the Song as a piece regardless the bad quality so here I go! The beginning was way too long and it pretty much sounded like a scratched CD playing the same thing over again. The riff though, is tight but you could have added a slight variation before the solo comes in.
The solo is not very well crafted, it's just pure scales, stopping and bending, then more scale moving upward or downward. There's no melody in the solo, just tones adding to the harmony of the backing chords. The riff that comes up next is cool, but it could have been better if you stopped and rested half a second before starting that riff.

Then we go back to what seems the main riff we heard at the beginning of the piece. It's just the same thing, repeating again. A variation to the drums could have been made to keep things interesting. Then the several tension riffs that come after that are also awesome, the problem is that you don't really catch my attention that much, since the whole song develops way too slow and the listener loses interest.
The song seems like a backtrack to something more. You should add something over this track so it defines a melody and is not just pure riff.

The song lacks an interesting structure, and there is nothing that makes me go wow.

6.5/10
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Quote by XxLloydxX

The solo is not very well crafted, it's just pure scales, stopping and bending, then more scale moving upward or downward. There's no melody in the solo, just tones adding to the harmony of the backing chords.

forgive me, but you do understand what melody is?

because indeed there is melody... melody simply describes the left right movement of a piece, and whether or not its consonant, which indeed this is. and no, im not just running up and down scales, there is arpeggio's in there, there is sequencing ideas... and that is where the melody comes from... AND the last phrase of the solo has nothing to do with a scale is sliding into 2 notes in different octaves all over the guitar...

I'll take your crit of my tone in stride as i in fact love my tone.
aNOMaly
Last edited by `NeXxuS` at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by `NeXxuS`
forgive me, but you do understand what melody is?

because indeed there is melody... melody simply describes the left right movement of a piece, and whether or not its consonant, which indeed this is. and no, im not just running up and down scales, there is arpeggio's in there, there is sequencing ideas... and that is where the melody comes from... AND the last phrase of the solo has nothing to do with a scale is sliding into 2 notes in different octaves all over the guitar...

I'll take your crit of my tone in stride as i in fact love my tone.

When I said it had no melody I meant to say the melody is not good, sorry. Of course, a solo isn't supposed to be a focus of the melodic part, but in the possible million variations and how you join them and use them to make a solo sound interesting. The solo is square, very lacking of fluency because you don't join the variations you use very well. Arps, scale going up or down, sequences and variations are all there, they just don't really get along together. The craft is not a very well built. And the melody heard in the beginning and in the middle of variations are square as well, inexpressive and very basic.

If you don't take my crit, fine, it's my opinion after all and I have the right to express what I think. These critics aren't offensive through, I'm just trying say things that could help you make better things afterward.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Quote by XxLloydxX
When I said it had no melody I meant to say the melody is not good, sorry.

If you don't take my crit, fine, it's my opinion after all and I have the right to express what I think. These critics aren't offensive through, I'm just trying say things that could help you make better things afterward.

The melody is good, you just don't connect with it, which is fine... that is your opinion... but you could be far less douchey and pseudo-intellectual about it.
aNOMaly
^ Woah, no need to argue/get defensive... You asked for crit, and he gave it to you. Sure, it was a little harsh, but that's the best kind of crit! Just take it with a grain of salt. You're a good player and he's not denying that fact...

My unbiased opinion: The melody is not bad at all. Could it be better? ...Probably...? But the purpose of the piece isn't necessarily to showcase melodic guitar playing... In my opinion, it seems more oriented toward technical skill, which is fine! I think it's well done!
hey im just giving my opinion on his crit...

i felt he was being very pseudo intellectual, trying to make me feel inferior with his musical terms which it ends up he doesn't even understand...

it is possible that im the one being the douche here, but the solo is sick IMO and im proud of it. to have someone tell me its anything but good makes me angry.
aNOMaly
Last edited by `NeXxuS` at Dec 6, 2009,
oh im chill im chill as a cucumber.
aNOMaly
Quote by `NeXxuS`
hey im just giving my opinion on his crit...

i felt he was being very pseudo intellectual, trying to make me feel inferior with his musical terms which it ends up he doesn't even understand...

it is possible that im the one being the douche here, but the solo is sick IMO and im proud of it. to have someone tell me its anything but good makes me angry.

Maybe you're the one who doesn't understand what I'm saying. How about you read exactly what I've written, slowly, it's actually simple, there's no false intellect in what I've said because it's exactly what I've observed from your musical piece. No need to start hitting at my way of talking. And I'm not trying to make you feel inferior, the only way I could have expressed myself is in those terms.
Not my problem if you weren't capable of understanding what I had written. Why don't you learn to accept bad criticism because it's not the first time you will get it. Besides, it wasn't even that bad of a critic, just pointed out some errors I heard. You should especially accept a crit who tries to show the errors found in your works, then whether you like it or not, it's your choice to learn from it, or throw it away. I could care less.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
You came here asking for criticism, so you can't expect only praise. Criticism is the opposite of praise. It means that you are asking people to tell you what they think that you could have done better, not necessarily to compliment what you've done.

Of course you can disagree with criticism, and you don't need to take suggestions. But if you can't take criticism on your work, then don't ask for it.
that was kinda cool. the solo sounded alright i suppose but it was extremely buried in the mix and difficult to hear. your riffs are okay but i feel without some vocals or some other instruments on top the song as it is now is quite boring.
The drums really need to come out better, as well as the bass. Right now the guitars lay like a carpet over everything else.

The first half feels rather bland - too much repetition, too little to wake interest.
2:20, while a neat variation, gets old very quickly, I think it would have much more impact if it wasn´t repeated as much.
3:20 could be quite interesting with some vocals or other melody over.

The end feels rather random.

As it is now, this song, as an instrumental it´s kinda boring, too much repetition overall. You could get away with it with some nice vocals or other lead instrument, but right now it doesn´t do much to keep you interested.

Keep at it though.