I've been wanting to swap out my Duncan Designed Detonating Humbuckers on my Jackson WRXT Warrior. I've preformed with it before, but I just don't like the way they sound anymore (squealing way to easy and volume can't be turned all the way up on guitar without squealing). I play on a Randall KH-120RHS Half-Stack (if that helps).

I'm more into rock now and a little less into metal (still love it though). So, I was wondering, would a Gibson 490R Original in the neck and an Angus Young Signature in the bridge work together? Or should I try a different set (suggestions)? I was wanting to try to mix looks with a powerful rock sound, thus my choice of humbuckers and style of guitar body. Any advice is much appreciated.
I don't know about those Gibsons, but I was wondering...

Is this "Squealing" a new thing or has it always happened with this guitar? If it's new, then did anything else happen (new geear, whatever)?

I replaced these on my Schecter with a real Duncan Invader and it behaves identical to the Duncan Design model. I have the Detonators on my Squier now, and it sounds just like the Schecter.

If I'm not really careful about muting, all of my humbucker guitars will squeal up a storm. Even the single coil Strats do that if the amp's loud enough.

If that's the real problem, then changing pups isn't going to help...
Yeah, I bought it new from Musician's Friend.

It always happened when the guitar was cranked high. It seemed as though the pups couldn't take it. This never happens unless the guitar is turned all the way up. It doesn't matter what level my amp's master is turned up, you can still hear the squealing when the guitar is turned up fully.

My friend said it could be the cables, but I use Monster so I doubt that is a problem.

It seems as though the pups are cheap, being not actually "Seymour Duncans". I figured that would be the problem.

I read on a forum that the double locking Floyd Rose on my Warrior could cause that issue because these are considered "low-output" humbuckers, but I don't think so.

Well, if the Gibson pair doesn't work, would Active EMGs work on it? Or would that router be an issue?

Don't get me wrong I've played guitar for awhile, I've just never tweaked with them before.
I can vouch for the 490R being an awesome pickup. I've got 2 in my SG (neck and mid) along with a 490T in the bridge.
I've never played(or even seen for that matter) an AY signature, but another really nice Gibson pup I'd recommend is the 500T. Its beastly.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Well, I've never really messed with any Gibson guitar, but I'm just not into Metal that much anymore. All I play is Metallica and Pantera (if you still consider those metal) now.

I was looking for that powerful SG sound. So would the 500T in the bridge and 490T in the neck work, or would humbucker dimensions screw that up? Because the 490T and 500T both look bigger than my DD 'Detonators'.
Quote by Fyrefox
Well, I've never really messed with any Gibson guitar, but I'm just not into Metal that much anymore. All I play is Metallica and Pantera (if you still consider those metal) now.

I was looking for that powerful SG sound. So would the 500T in the bridge and 490T in the neck work, or would humbucker dimensions screw that up? Because the 490T and 500T both look bigger than my DD 'Detonators'.

I can say with about 99% confidence that they will fit.
The 490R, 490T and 500T are all great pickups. Like I said, I have a 490T and 2 490Rs in my SG, and I've played an SG with a 500T in the bridge.
The 500T is a little hotter than the 490T. I prefer the 490T because it cleans up a little better.
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool
I can say with about 99% confidence that they will fit.
The 490R, 490T and 500T are all great pickups. Like I said, I have a 490T and 2 490Rs in my SG, and I've played an SG with a 500T in the bridge.
The 500T is a little hotter than the 490T. I prefer the 490T because it cleans up a little better.

Okay, cool. I'm going to look into them some more. You wouldn't happen to know any company that would put them on for me would you? Because I've only wired SCs up before and humbuckers look a lot more complicated.
If you can put in single coils, then you can definitely put in humbuckers.

Check out The Ultimate Guitar Wiring Thread.

If you're just going to do a direct swap, all you'll need to do is connect the series link on your new pups, and wire them in exactly how the old pups are.
Quote by handbanana
dont get the gibsons. they sound ok and they're really overpriced for what they are. u can get better ones for less the money.

if u go seymour duncans, the 59' model for neck and JB for bridge is good.

if u go dimarzios, paf pro or paf 36th anniversary for neck and a norton for bridge is good.

i also recommend Rockfield pickups. http://www.rockfieldpickups.com/
the SWC for neck
the Turbo for bridge

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rockfield-SWC-Select-Wound-Custom-Pickup-?sku=300093
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rockfield-Turbo-Humbucker-Pickup-?sku=300096
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Eh, I figured humbuckers would be a lot more difficult.

Well the only reason I was looking at the Gibsons was because my band plays a lot of AC/DC now. I was looking at the Gibson for a more Angus Young sound.

I've played the Rockfields on a Draco 7, but I always thought they were to edgy and crunchy for rock.

The Dimarizos, aren't those what John Petrucci uses?

I have been looking into some Seymour Duncans lately, but I've only seen the JB used on metal guitars. Like the Dinky.
ok then if u want a ac/dc tone

neck- gibson 57'classic (better than 490r)
bridge - Angus young humbucker or gibson 57' classic plus
or
neck- seymour duncan 59'
bridge - seymour duncan 59' or pearly gates or custom 5

heres a thread i found in the seymour duncan forums talking about pickups good for ac/dc
http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167015

the JB is a versatile pickup. It can do many styles of music. though the ones i sugggested above is better.

although i have to say amp plays a more important role in getting a ac/dc tone. Angus used vintage cranked Marshalls like JTM45, JMP50 and 1959 100watt super lead plexi. U are using a high gain randall which is metal oriented. Changing pickups wont do much. U will sound clearer but u wont get a AC/DC sound. just saying.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I'd have Irongear Rolling Mills, and get the overwound bridge version. They'll give you great classic PAF type sounds with that bit extra punch.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x