Poll: What kind of guitar body should I make?
Poll Options
View poll results: What kind of guitar body should I make?
Orange paint, no grain.
3 16%
All grain, no stain!
2 11%
Red stain
6 32%
Blue stain
5 26%
Other (Please specify)
3 16%
Voters: 19.
I am building a guitar body and possibly a neck right now, i was wondering if you would help me.

Oh you will? Well thank you

I have come up with some possibilities for my guitar. It will be strat~esque, and will show the natural grain i hope.
Here are some conceptual pics:

Before pic, just an orange guitar. The body shape will stay the same, except for the spires, they will be sharper and nice looking I photoshopped on a volume knob and the strings and the bridge:

Here is what kind of wood im gonna be using, a 3d~ish kind, its maple. probably going to just use regular maple on my first build

Thank God for photoshop
No matter what, the fret board is going to be a dark color, just fyi

This next one is an interesting color, and i dont know if i can actually get darker using conventional methods, some pointers would be nice. I want it so if you actually look at it in the right light you can see the grain kthx:

same thing next, but just used the exclusion filter instead of vivid light...that orange and yellow on the spire there was on accident, couldn't get rid of it..yeah..:

Keep in mind that blue oen will probably be a darker stain.
couldn't quite dial it all in tonight, wasn't too...on the ball if you catch my drift.

im thinking i'd like that finish like on les pauls,

that color ther is sexeh :]

(Invalid img)
If i could do that, i wouldn't mind.

See guys, I already have a red strat, so having two would be kinda wierd...but please let me know if you have other ideas. I'll post a vote. Thanks guys

I might be getting black hardware on there instead 'a chrome, so let me know what would look good on what.
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
Last edited by Chessman.exe at Dec 6, 2009,
Kudos on the photoshop skills. I voted for blue; I'm not a big fan of orange guitars.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
lol, thanks. Me neither, but i like the red~ish one, i couldn't quite tune in the red this time, my skills are a tad bit off today...tonight...meh.
that orangey looking one is actually supposed to be red...

the first one is the original color that i kinda like
anyway, thanks for the input. Im kinda leaning toward blue anyway. Already got a red strat, candy cocacola, its the best i could ask for.

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
Alright alright.

Thanks guys. Keep voting. If you think I should take different colors, please specify ^^
metallic orange would be different yes, but we'd have to see how the guitar turns out.

And yes, i know that maple was zoomed in, i put it like that so you guys could see the grain, of course i wont find that kind of maple unless i find a 2000 year old tree and MANSLAUGHTER it.
lol
as for the finish that you suggested guitarcam123, love it...but not quite that color. I think i'll get a darker finish, whether its blue or otherwise.

Remember guys, i'll be keeping that guitar body SHAPE, so whatever you think would look good on it, metallic or otherwise, please let me know.
kthx

I'm a fan of Tiger Eye if your maple is Quilted or Flamed.

R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
that's pretty neat, but remember, this is my first build, so im probably going to reserve the nice wood for my second build ^^

I meant that picture to show the colour more than the figuring. With a light flame figuring, you can do the black dye first method and then lay down an orange dye to make a really cool looking Tiger Eye.

perhaps a light sunburst would look good yes

Of course, you could always go fancy and do a Silverburst (Yes, I love this finish and probably suggest it wayyyyyyyy too much)

well, would that look good on the body i showed you?

lol, that'll probably only work with a les paul ^^
I am still not opposed to the sunburst idea though :P ...just not silver of course.

Thanks for hte oppinions guys, keep them coming

I'd say like a dark blue stain, possibly with a burst to black. or else a lightish blue that gets darker towards the edges.

or

i realize the wood probably wouldn't be as awesome as that, just throwing stain ideas at ya.
Quote by Chessman.exe
well, would that look good on the body i showed you?

lol, that'll probably only work with a les paul ^^
I am still not opposed to the sunburst idea though :P ...just not silver of course.

Thanks for hte oppinions guys, keep them coming

On the contrary my good sir, silverburst looks awesome on anything, case in point, this 7-string:

thats pretty awesome, i like that light to dark blue idea.
very nice. if all else fails...i'll try that
But probably just gonna be maple...regular maple...woo.

Oooh...i like those colors...
hmph....silver...iunno...
im looking at making a sister to my fender strat...its' red...blue would be nearly the perfect twin for it...

we will definitelly see, i'll make some mockups.

thx.

Man, did not realize how huge that pic was.

Anyway, a nice oceanburst would kick some serious ass too.

neat...
i like the 8 stringed bass ^^;

Anyway, it truly is a tossup between red stain, blue stain, and sunburst of some sort.

thx guys, keep them coming

I will probably actually color the guitar the winner. so your vote counts.

You could do a CSB (Cherry Sunburst). Those are epic.

I could, and I'd like to, but I'd like to do something unique, and by unique, I mean something that has only been done under 10,000 times ^^
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28741212@N04/3345582290/in/set-72157615272230640/
something like that
i am really interested in that configuration they got goin on there with the do-hickey in the ding dang.
that would be really nice, and iv'e never seen it done before.

The knobs being embedded like that is just a matter of getting large knobs and installing the pots in sideways. Looks epic, though.

you have to be precise enough to get the pots in there, dig out the cavity, and dont mess up even by an eighth of an inch or you bore through the body of the freakin guitar.

sounds like a job i'll try on my second guitar build ^^

Bah. Do it on this one, it'll be better practice. Also, you don't need to be nearly that precise, that's why they invented sandpaper.

hmm...
fair enough.
that would pretty sick eh?
embedded tone and volume controls. i bet only half a handful of people have done that....
problem might be since there aren't any tutorials for this sort of thing, it'll be very...difficult..
I dont even know how i'd bore out that hole to slide it in or w/e...hmm...we'll see what happens, it'll be fun

moar comments MOAR

ok, ok.
Im not so sure if i want to do a solid color, i'll do solid color only if the grain isn't very nice. we'll see..

I do have a question.

you show me how that is done, and i'll definitelly do it ,'

You'd do the recess ahead of time, place the knob into the hole, push the pot into the knob, then wire it up.

but what about tightening the pot??
if you dont tighten the pot, it'll move when turning up the volume, and dont nobody want that...maybe super glue is the thing ta do?
I need to make sure the pot is secured with the hex nut, if i cant do that...well...even superglue fails after a long while...PVC, or whatever you use to glue together those white pipes?
iunno...suggestions?

This thread is still open to color schemes and oppinions, please dont hesitate to write them down here.
thx.