... That's a caveman?

Little more description would be nice. (I.e. Add a club to the caveman)
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
you would want to wedge something between the wood and the fence to help with stability and accuracy of the line, but yes

i'm assuming the magenta colored line is the blade
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 6, 2009,
You'd really want a triangle shaped piece at the same angle you want the cut to go between the fence and the piece you're cutting, otherwise it wont go very straight.
Whats the cut for?
i would cut i triangle of scrap wood to go behind the body there, or just do it freehand...
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
i would cut i triangle of scrap wood to go behind the body there, or just do it freehand...
the problem with free handing it is i need a perfectly straight cut. i may be getting a tablesaw and a bandsaw for xmas and im hoping to make a v. i can also hopefully get further on the guitar in my signature.
Last edited by necroscience13 at Dec 6, 2009,
No that would probably fail more.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
^no

if you make a fence for the router to run along-side, should work fine.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
If you use a router you'll have to free hand a bit just outside the line then with a straight guide and a ball bearing template bit you can route it flush.
Quote by guitarcam123
If you use a router you'll have to free hand a bit just outside the line then with a straight guide and a ball bearing template bit you can route it flush.

this would be your best bet. you will never get a straight line doing it freehand. Also dont forget to go with the grain as much as you can and score it first just in case!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
easiest way to do this is with a common tool is with simple circular saw. ive made perfectly straight lines on much longer pieces of wood, you just need to set up a simple guide.

first step is to figure out how wide the guard is on your circular saw. then clamp another long piece of wood/metal/something strong that far away on your piece of wood, parallel to where you want your cut. 2+ clamps for stability, 1 clamp will let the thing rotate. rest the saw guard on top of your wood and press against your long piece and have at it. just make sure you account for the thickness of the blade. pic of setup:

Quote by necroscience13
i hope you understand what im asking, sry for the caveman picture

edit: sry about that, the lines were meant to represent the body of the guitar

That works, but with one modification.

You need to have (as I think was mentioned) a triangular board, which has the angle you want between the fence and the body cut on one side. The other side should be straight to run against the fence. Then hold the body against this jig and cut it.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!