Ok, I have a friend thats been playing for about a year, and he has an Epi LP special 2 thats horrible, so for christmas, I thought I would help him out and get him a better guitar cuz he isnt exactly wealthy...but I was looking at one of these two

http://www.rondomusic.com/fulcrumwhite.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/spadblack.html

He plays mostly Metallica, and some older thrash music. Im trying to get him something to replace his Epi cause it feels horrible and cheap. What do you guys think about these? any opinions or other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I checked it in my area, and I didnt find much that was any good on a $150 budget.
Thats the one Im planning on going with. Im just wanting to make sure I havent overlooked anything else that could suit him better.
Not the Fulcrum, if you want to get him a good V in the low price range get him a SR-1, set neck, string through body, EMG-HZ pickups. But a Spad is nice too, everyone I have talked to with the SR-1 and Spad love them.
Hmm good suggestion. Im looking for something with good upper fret access, which is why the Fulcrum was up there. But the SR-1 looks interesting too. Thanks for the feedback. Im not sure how he feels about Vs though. But im sure he would like it more than his Epi lol. God I hate that thing...
Quote by minchew
God I hate that thing...

Before you spend alot of money on a guitar: does he?
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
I have a similar Douglas, the WRL 595.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/johnro6659/pictures/gear/455653/

I got it as a gift and after it arrived I plugged it in played it did a set up and decided to keep it. I was very surprised at the quality and sound. The EMG HZs actually sounded much better than I though because they seem to get bad reviews. I used it one night at a gig and it worked out well. With the experience I have with the WRL I would suggest the Spade.

John
if hes into thrash get the v. nothing says thrash more than a v. unless hes uncomfortable playing one, let him try a v and see if he can get used to it bc some new players find it too awkward to play a v.
If he likes the feel of the guitar but isn't too fond of the sound, couldn't you just get him some better pickups ?
Well, the thing is he always talks about how it feel like a piece of crap. And a V shouldnt be a problem. He took some classical lessons this semeser so sitting classical and playing shouldnt be a problem. He just has a really bad guitar and I want to help him out. I should have said we BOTH hate that guitar. But Im gonna see what his opinion on V's are and go from there.
That was the first time I've ever looked on rondo music's website. Are those sub $200 guitars good quality. I've never seen those brands in a store so therefore playing one is not an option. I see all the Les Paul copies from Agile and the other brands and am now very interested. I even like the black Douglas you were asking about at the start of this thread. I would just hate to order a guitar like this and end up getting something that isn't even playable. The $199 LP copies say they have set necks and grover tuners which really surprised me because some $300 epiphones don't even have those tuners stock. Has anyone bought one of these guitars and loved them?
Quote by Supermansdead81
That was the first time I've ever looked on rondo music's website. Are those sub $200 guitars good quality. I've never seen those brands in a store so therefore playing one is not an option. I see all the Les Paul copies from Agile and the other brands and am now very interested. I even like the black Douglas you were asking about at the start of this thread. I would just hate to order a guitar like this and end up getting something that isn't even playable. The $199 LP copies say they have set necks and grover tuners which really surprised me because some $300 epiphones don't even have those tuners stock. Has anyone bought one of these guitars and loved them?

Many people on UG have Agile guitars, they are like the Epi´s Just a bit cheaper in price and better, sometimes way better. (i mean, sometimes cant go up to gibsons but you may feel like they really do hehe).

Get your friend the SpadBlack. More bang for your buck bro
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Well the Spad Black is a Douglas guitar right? Are the Douglas as good as the Agile guitars on there? I seen some Agile Hawkers that are trying to copy the PRS type look I guess on there and I'm now really interested. I mean these look great for a great price. I'm really going to look more into these things. Cheers!
Go with the douglas spad black. I have a friend that owns one and it compares with some high end more brand name instruments. I know he'll love it if he plays that stuff. And seriously, i wish i had a good enough friend to buy me a new guitar like that lol.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Quote by alexpalka23
Go with the douglas spad black. I have a friend that owns one and it compares with some high end more brand name instruments. I know he'll love it if he plays that stuff. And seriously, i wish i had a good enough friend to buy me a new guitar like that lol.

Ditto! Friends like that are hard to come by these days and I really respect you for that. This is one of the nicest things I've heard of anyone doing in quite a while in today's day and time.
You're a wonderful friend

I'd go for SpadBlack.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
err I'd look for a Schecter C1 Plus on Ebay
saw one for 140 just the other day!!
and its a all mahogany neck and body
thru body design with easy access neck
just needs upgraded pickups later on

or anything not made of basswood
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
The 2nd one, but check some stuff on musician's friend or something. I got a gigantor catalog in the mail (yay) and they have a wide variety of things. If you live by a guitar center or something, try browsing a little bit and asking some professionals there.
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above
Quote by minchew
Ok, I have a friend thats been playing for about a year, and he has an Epi LP special 2 thats horrible, so for christmas, I thought I would help him.

itd be a little more productive if you said you wanted to get him a guitar that is more suited to his musical style, instead of bashing his existing guitar.

the LP special 2 isnt that bad, ive heard you can get a good heavy sound out of them.
If its Illegal to Rock N Roll.........Throw my Ass in Jail!

Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha yes I recognize you mate!