So i have been playing guitar for 2 years now, and since a few months i got more interested in bass as well.
I dont want to switch instruments but i want to play bass on the side for the fun and stuff like that

Anyway, i now have about 200 bucks as my budget, maybe a little more.
I can buy this starter set with an amp and stuff, its decent as far as i know, i played on it at a store nearby.
Brand is Nuno Morris, nobody probably ever heard of it.

But they also have this sweet Epiphone Thunderbird bass for 230, the problem is, if i'd buy that i dont have enough money for an amp for about 3 months.

Now i do have a guitar amp and i read you can plug in a bass into it but you can only play on very low volume or the thing would go boom xD

But the biggest question is, i have a digitech rp90 guitar effect pedal wich is plugged into my laptop, wich is hooked up to a subwoofer and speakers etc.
Would i be able to plug in the bass into the pedal and then play through the subwoofer with out destroying it?
If so i'd probably go for the Epiphone because i read the thing is great for the money.

Anyway, i hope you guys can answer these questions and maybe give some advice on what i should do, thanks
The stickied FAQ answers pretty much everything there.

Don't get the thinderbird.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I play bass regularly on my Marshall stack. Not quite the same as a bass amp, but it works and nothing ever happened.

Succes ouwe ga voor die Epi
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
When I first started playing I had the bass but no amp, I plugged my bass:

Bass --> RP90 --> Headphones

worked fine until I got a bass amp.
Dont get the Thunderbird. Just avoid Epiphone in general unless you find a used Accubass. Read the FAQ, but your best course of action is check out a Squier standard or VM, or an Ibanez GSR200 and save for a bass amp. Packs can be ok, but your almost always better off getting a separate bass and amp.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
From what I've heard, plugging a bass into a subwoofer won't damage it, but it will sound pretty terrible.

Also, epiphone basses in general sound terrible. Thunderbirds in particular have a variety of other problems like neck dive and no access to upper frets.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
alright thanks for the info guys, i think il try out the firebird and the other ones you suggested as well since the store has those too as far as i know, thanks!
Quote by Benjami
alright thanks for the info guys, i think il try out the firebird and the other ones you suggested as well since the store has those too as far as i know, thanks!

I know it was very probably just a typo, but don't campare the thunderbird to a firebird, they're not the same, just lower. The thunderbird has taken a guitar desigh and done a half arsed job of making it into a bass. (same with most lp and sg basses)
/rant
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
The stickied FAQ answers pretty much everything there.

Don't get the thinderbird.

That was in the old FAQ, and I can't imagine it being left out in this particular forum...
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Dont get the ThunderBird, yeah they look cool but they weigh a ton and its very top-heavy, With a 200 dollar limit ide invest in a ibanez or a dean, both cheap, durable, road worthy and top named brands either a Ibanez SR series or a Dean Edge series, hope my suggestion helps =P
Schecter Scorpion 4 Neck Thru with EMG Hz's
Schecter Custom 4 with EMG Hz's
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver D.I.
Kustom Groove 1200 HD Solid State Amp
Kustom Groove 8-10"s
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Quote by gilly_90
I know it was very probably just a typo, but don't campare the thunderbird to a firebird, they're not the same, just lower. The thunderbird has taken a guitar desigh and done a half arsed job of making it into a bass. (same with most lp and sg basses)
/rant

yea it was a typo sorry xD

oh and i thought the thunderbirds were actually pretty good from what i've read with reviews and stuff x3

and i dont really have a problem with neck dive and stuff im already used to it with my iceman xD
but il keep it in mind and il test out some ibanez basses too and others
yea i know bass is very different so i will try to look at other players to see how they do it and stuff like that.
not going to play guitar stuff on it either xD
also going to try playing finger style from the start as well
Quote by Tostitos
Dont get the Thunderbird. Just avoid Epiphone in general unless you find a used Accubass. Read the FAQ, but your best course of action is check out a Squier standard or VM, or an Ibanez GSR200 and save for a bass amp. Packs can be ok, but your almost always better off getting a separate bass and amp.

i'll say this with the tbird youll either love it or hate it...its one of those things the main irk is easily fixed with moving the strap lock below the neck.If you only play rock and maybe the odd pop punk (any sound works) its good enough.

Really personally as a thunderbird owner with my mates its either they hate it or they love it.your best trying it out its not the most versatile but it fits what i do fine.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
i saw a dean edge in musicians friend with natural finish for 100 and from what i saw it looked like a good starter bass i would have bought it if i didnt get my current bass. plus at tht price you can get a decent amp from a pawn shop
The Dean Edge the 100$ one sounds awful. I've played them, and it sounds as if it's made out of partical board. Go for a higher end Dean or Ibanez, and no matter how much I love ESP, I wouldn't get anything under 200$ from them. Their high end gear is wonderful, but their low end isn't that good.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10