Hey, I need help choosing pickups, I want to play hard rock and nu metal music, Marilyn Manson, Rage Against The Machine, Linkin Park. That kinda stuff. Can anyone help suggest any pickups that would be good for these music styles? I'm looking at getting an EMG 81/85 set, seymour duncan sh-4 jb or seymour duncan sh-8 invaders and I play through a Marshall Class 5 amp. I dont mind if the pickups are active or passive.
my budget is anything under £150 for the set
Oh and if your just going to bash EMG's then dont bother posting, they are good pickups.
Cheers
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

first of all. I would call those bands metal, but anyway...
what guitar do you use? Effects?
If your guitar isnt routed for actives, then go with passives.
other than that, the EMG's are decent... never played the other ones
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Quote by Heylo12

Yeah dont wanna start a genre debate, but if i said metal, everyone would be like OMG death metal and i wont be playing that kinda stuff
- Joe Bonamassa

I think it's called Nu-Metal?
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Quote by cgmetallica1981
EMG 81/85 handsdown. Dimebuckers are also good.

Dimebuckers are shite. You have a Fender Frontman.

The Invader is wank, and will sound utterly terrible through a low powered amp with a small speaker - you'll get nothing but mud. Actives will probably work okay as your main issue here is clarity, however I'd save yourself the hassle and go for a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge with a Breed in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Its not your pickups, its your amp, you know that right?

I'd go with the DiMarzios D sonic and Breed, not sure which one either

No, Its not the amp. I was waiting for someone to say that.
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by Heylo12
what guitar do you use? Effects?
If your guitar isnt routed for actives, then go with passives.
other than that, the EMG's are decent... never played the other ones

Linkin park isnt metal nor is rage lol

But check out sd websight they got some cool sound samples of each pickup, also emg does, personally i preffer passives!
Quote by slipknot_420
Linkin park isnt metal nor is rage lol

But check out sd websight they got some cool sound samples of each pickup, also emg does, personally i preffer passives!

Oh yea, completley forgot about that Ill check later when I get home
Cheers
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by cgmetallica1981
EMG 81/85 handsdown. Dimebuckers are also good.

Ive never seen such a double fail in one post... Look at Gibsons pickups, they're pretty much designed for more classic hard rock, and DiMarzio if you lean towards the newer stuff.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by higgins666
Bare Knuckles! Give them a call, & they'll help you out deciding on the pickup, they'll also be higher quality than most mass produced pickups.

I second that !!
Quote by higgins666
Bare Knuckles! Give them a call, & they'll help you out deciding on the pickup, they'll also be higher quality than most mass produced pickups.
He said his budget is about £150 for the set - most Bare Knuckle pickups cost around £100 each.

Anyway. You have a Cort Z-42, correct? so there's a few things you need to bear in mind.
Firstly, your guitar is mostly mahogany but is bolt-on constructon. This means your bridge tone is naturally going to be quite dark while the neck tone is going to be slightly more balanced. Secondly, your guitar has, I believe, coil split pickups as standard. If you use those switches and want to keep the effect, you'll need to make sure any pickups you get have the right wires to be split (most modern humbuckers do, but a few random types don't) and you'll have to remember to re-wire the coil split correctly. Thirdly, your guitar is routed and set up for passive pickups currently - changing to active pickups will cost extra, take longer and be more effort; with your amp, you won't get any use out of active pickups anyway, so they'll just be extra cost and hassle for zero benefit. So, avoid those.

Frankly, with your existing amp, no pickup change is going to suddenly give you the nu-metal tones you desire. Your amp simply isn't naturally high-gain to the right extent; it's a Class A and mid-gain at best, even if you did put in active pickups they wouldn't be high enough output to drive you into nu-metal territory unless you were to increase the pre-amp gain; but you can't do that because your Class 5, I believe, has just a basic EQ section and a single volume knob, it doesn't have the ability to drive the pre-amp harder.

What this all means is a pickup change is, for you, utterly pointless. You'l be throwing money away. If you want to get nu-metal tones out of that amplifier, you're going to need to scrap the idea of using the amp's own distortion, and get a dedicated Distortion pedal instead; set the amp up clean then use the pedal for your distorted tones. Alternatively you could use a couple of overdrive pedals, but that will end up costing more, mean you'll have to use two or three pedals rather than just one, and it'll only do any good if you kept your amp 100% fully cranked (which is hardly practical for gigs, let alone practise).

If you want to get the best nu-metal tone possible for you without breaking the bank, what you should do is lower your pickups so they produce less output and a clearer tone, then get a good metal distortion pedal. I would recommend the Digitech HardWire TL-2; it's the most robust metal distortion pedal on the market and can actually do anything from simple hard rock to full-on bizarre alternative black metal 'wall of noise' style distortion. It's got the normal volume, gain, bass and treble boost/cut controls, plus an unusual mid boost/cut control that also lets you select which area of the middle frequencies you control. It's got two modes of distortion, tight and loose; tight is probably what you'll want, it's got a very modern, slightly scoooped and very compressed tone. Loose is more for chugging very low drop-tuned death and gothic metal type tones. It costs about £75 and blows every other off the shelf metal distortion pedal out the water. Set your amp up clean, lower your pickups and let the TL-2 do the work.

Second to that would be 'simply' buying a different amplifier, preferably one that has a dedicated distortion channel with it's own gain control so you could set up both the clean tone and the distorted tone and use a footswitch to change between them. This will be much more expensive though and given you'd be using a footswitch anyway, you might as well just kep your current amp and use the metal distortion pedal.

Either way, I repeat: a pickup change will not do any good for you, at best you'll be throwing money away on getting the exact same tone you have now, at worst you'll be throwing money away getting a much worse tone. Pickups do not even remotely effect your tone to the extent you think they do.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Wow, cheers for the response MrFlibble. But im thinking of buying a new guitar that I will use for alternate tunings, and that will be the guitar that i will use for heavier music. And I was thinking of getting the Hardwire pedal anyway because I want a distortion pedal and that is the best of the few that ive tried.
Again, thanks to everyone for the help
- Joe Bonamassa