I found this old guitar and I fixed it up and bought new strings, then I decided to give it a wee test drive but the strings are way too high.

I am giving it to my sister who is learning guitar but it will just put her off if it's too hard to play.

Like I have been playing for 3 1/2 years and I have trouble with it.

Any suggestions? What can I do?
"I want a drink"

"You always want something. In Tibet, if they want something...they give something away"

"Do they? That must be why they are such a dominant global power"

Brought to you by Graham Linehan and Dylan Moran
Does it have a truss rod?
If not, you can try lowering the saddle.
The truss rod is NOT for adjusting action. That is done at the saddle and/or nut as needed. If in doubt as to how to make the adjustments take the guitar in to a reputable tech and have them do it for you. DON'T start cranking away on the truss rod!
Truss rod adjustment does not do the same thing as lowering the saddle. I do not know what that perception persists on here.

Check here to see if you need a Truss Rod Adjustment:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

If not, I would proceed to lowering the saddle to try to fix the action:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/LowerAction/loweraction01.html

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
If you don't know what you are doing, then let a tech/luthier set it up properly. Its worth it NOT to ruin the guitar.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
It has a "set" bridge, if you know what I mean? Not adjustable
"I want a drink"

"You always want something. In Tibet, if they want something...they give something away"

"Do they? That must be why they are such a dominant global power"

Brought to you by Graham Linehan and Dylan Moran
The saddle can be taken out. It should not be glued in.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.