say i was to play a powerchord on the A D G strings,
i always use my index finger (first finger) to mute the E string.
kinda like i do a barré chord, just without the B and e strings (mute those with the bottom of my index finger).

is this the wrong way? or just one of the 9001 techniques? :p
its not necessarily wrong, if you like how it sounds then it should be fine. If you find that it limits your playing ability then it might be a wise idea to consider using a different technique but essentially the problem only comes up when it stops you playing and sounding how you want to
Quote by Dregen
Nope. That's how you should mute it.

+1

This is how I teach all my students to mute the low E. You can also try doing it with your palm aswell, as I find it helps to mute with your palm just below where you're playing anyway. The way you're doing it is pretty perfect, though.
Yeah. I agree. You're learning well, if you see nothing wrong with it and you're playing it RIGHT, then what's the problem? There should be none. Keep up the good thoughts man; you can only become better.
It doesn't really matter what other strings you fret as long as you're not playing them - holding down the full chord gives you more options.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I don't understand. How does that give you more options? :I

I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear yours; I should learn something.
Quote by iFire

Well, it would allow you play the full chord or an arpeggio on the higher strings with the power chord ringing out on the bass strings. Or a million other things.
^ if you play the full 6 string barre chord as opposed to a 2 string power chord then don't you think it opens up a few doors?

you can do more with an A chord [using an E shaped Barre] than with an A5 power chord.

Like hitting the bass, and then adding flourishes and hammer-on/pull-offs on the melody strings. Things like that, that you can't really do with a power chord.

That's assuming you're playing on a clean channel.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Quote by flea's trumpet

That's assuming you're playing on a clean channel.

Power Chords are more of a distorted matter in general, no?
well ...yeah but power chords are just like any other chords. The difference being that a power chord is just a perfect 5th. You can play power chords on a clean setting and it will still sound cool.
If you played the melody strings of an A chord with lots of gain and overdrive though, it would sound awful.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Quote by flea's trumpet

If you played the melody strings of an A chord with lots of gain and overdrive though, it would sound awful.

Not at all, as long as your not overdoing the gain and have good "definition" in general. Turning everything to eleven and the mids to zero would be a great way to make it sound like crap, though.
Quote by iFire

More options with regards to what to play next, it's far easier to transition into a full chord voicing or a lead part if your fingers are already there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What if you're using this technique but you are constantly picking open E and playing chords on ADG? What is the best way to minimize noise then?
Quote by ScarecrowWillie
What if you're using this technique but you are constantly picking open E and playing chords on ADG? What is the best way to minimize noise then?

The TS had the right idea, use the tip of your left hand index finger to mute it.
I hate my sig