He used one for a couple of songs when I saw them in February, but he used the others more I thought. Don't know if he's changed that now and is using them less though.
It would surprise me if he made a major commitment to Fender, as in a recent interview he was really singing the praises of his Fernandes basses; particularly his silver & blue flame model. In the same interview he professed his continuing loyalty to Zon, but said that his Fernandes was now his primary bass. Maybe Fender made him an offer he couldn't refuse?
Quote by slipknot_420
who cares metallica sucks now!!

I smell bandwagon!

Mind explaining why they suck? I've listened to death magnetic, and it's not master of puppets, but it's still a good album and a hell of a lot better than st. anger.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by slipknot_420

Expand on that or get a warning, choice is yours.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
He cycled through a lot of basses when I saw them.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
There's even a warm-up video on youtube where he uses a Stingray5. I think he's just a rich bastard with a ton of basses.
Quote by BladeSlinger
He cycled through a lot of basses when I saw them.

This. I noticed him using the fender on their older songs last time I saw Metallica.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
I've listened to death magnetic, and it's not master of puppets, but it's still a good album and a hell of a lot better than st. anger.

I actually enjoyed St. Anger a lot more than Death Magnetic, I never really understood why people didn't like St. Anger.
Robert has more basses than crayola has crayons. I'd love to have that many sonic choices, and its good that he uses them to his advantage.
A little off topic, but Robert trujillo is the reason Im embarrassed to own a fernandes >_>. His tone sounds like a lot of clicking to me.

On topic though. Fender makes really solid sturdy instruments. Im not a huge fan of the way they play or sound, but they are extremely reliable and maybe thats why hes using them to rehearse?
I've seen him use a fender during a rehearsal.
Jackson DXMG With SD Blackouts
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez GSR205EX
Acoustic B200H W/ Acoustic B410
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by SourChicken
I actually enjoyed St. Anger a lot more than Death Magnetic, I never really understood why people didn't like St. Anger.

I thought the drums, singing and riffs sucked.
I guess that's quite everything what can suck in an album.
But I guess not everyone likes the same stuff .
Would make the world boring too.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I think he just likes using a multitude of basses. He has a really nice Warwick Streamer too.

I saw them a few weeks ago and he played numerous basses.

Two of them happened to be stunning Streamers.

One was blue chrome and the other was turquoise-stained. Likely CS, it seems.

He played a p-bass for master of puppets
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by tubatom868686
A little off topic, but Robert trujillo is the reason Im embarrassed to own a fernandes >_>. His tone sounds like a lot of clicking to me.

On topic though. Fender makes really solid sturdy instruments. Im not a huge fan of the way they play or sound, but they are extremely reliable and maybe thats why hes using them to rehearse?

I like the Fernandes tone is very similar to an Ibanez
Quote by FrustratedRocka
I smell bandwagon!

Mind explaining why they suck? I've listened to death magnetic, and it's not master of puppets, but it's still a good album and a hell of a lot better than st. anger.

True, but thats like saying Putin was a hell of a lot better than Stalin; while it may be true, the latter is pretty damn hard to beat.

Really, I'm not sure it could have been much worse without being Metal Machine Music

EDIT: Scratch that, its just as bad as Metal Machine music.

EDIT 2: No wait, MMM was better. At least it was very influential.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Dec 6, 2009,
i dont like metallica much anymore, just because without booze and anger they're just a bunch of rich ***holes that sue their fans

as for rob switching to fender, its a lil weird but hey iron maiden's bassist used p basses (yes i forgot his name im not a huge fan)
Quote by slipknot_420

Coming from a guy with slipknot in his name (edit: slipknot AND a crappy weed reference.)

Moving on, a slight threadjack here, how does he get his live tone?
Steve Harris is the shit, how can someone not be a fan of maiden?!?! BTW he uses his fingers to play bass unlike most crappy bassists out theyre who need a piece of plastic to pluck the strings =P
Schecter Scorpion 4 Neck Thru with EMG Hz's
Schecter Custom 4 with EMG Hz's
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver D.I.
Kustom Groove 1200 HD Solid State Amp
Kustom Groove 8-10"s
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Spaz91
Coming from a guy with slipknot in his name (edit: slipknot AND a crappy weed reference.)

Moving on, a slight threadjack here, how does he get his live tone?

**** you slipknot are awesome wether or not you agree, also modern Metallica is medicore but thankfully as proven by the progression from load to death magnetic on the road to recovery
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
come on people, let's stop the petty arguing and name calling before someone gets warned.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by tubatom868686

In 'Tallica maybe. His stuff in infectious grooves is just drool worthy.
I am me. Live with it.
he's prolly not switching you seen on some kind of monster the sheer amount of basses he was trying out and playing around with.One thing for sure is he's got a large collection why not use em to your advantage.With tallica's sound being diverse its good to have a varied arsenal i mean 90's sound diffrent from the 80's heyday.So tonally he would need diffrent gear :P

On the matter of slipknot being a great band is just another bandwagon seriously they are a mediocre band with a large following i find their stuff unmemorable and mundane.Tallica does try switching it up as they progressed.But i love how people think slipknot are awesome they are mediocre nothing more they dont compare to the likes of Motorhead,Slayer,Iron maiden.All they have is sheer commercial appeal nothing more.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by kingofworms666
Steve Harris is the shit, how can someone not be a fan of maiden?!?! BTW he uses his fingers to play bass unlike most crappy bassists out theyre who need a piece of plastic to pluck the strings =P

Yeah, who would want to be close-minded like that

Also this is the bass forum. I know seeing a member of metallica in a thread titled makes everyone and their grandma post, but this is a discussion about Rob's live basses. Lets cut the crap with the arguing about which bands are "crap" or "the shit"

That said, I've seen him playing any Fenders, but of course I never watch videos of them.

Edit: The second paragraph is for everyone not specifically the chap I quoted.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Last edited by slaptasticdave at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by tubatom868686
His tone sounds like a lot of clicking to me.

I wouldn't dream of having a tone like that, but I think it suits him and the band very well. It's what separates him from Cliff and Jason, he has to be free to do his own thing and have his own sound.

Quote by War_Demon
**** you slipknot are awesome wether or not you agree

Opinions are subjective, please quiet down.
Last edited by Casketcreep at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by War_Demon
**** you slipknot are awesome wether or not you agree, also modern Metallica is medicore but thankfully as proven by the progression from load to death magnetic on the road to recovery

Warned. We have respect for each other in this forum.
Quote by Stingray5
There's even a warm-up video on youtube where he uses a Stingray5. I think he's just a rich bastard with a ton of basses.

when i went to the Rock Hall, he had a Stingray in the display case. Anyone else see his crazy green Ric?
Quote by Black Ox
when i went to the Rock Hall, he had a Stingray in the display case. Anyone else see his crazy green Ric?

yeah its pure badass xD i would steal or buy it off him if i was rich enough.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by kingofworms666

All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If i was as rich or as famous, i would buy a **** load of bass's and play them all, infact i could rebuild the twin towers out of bass's as i would buy so many bass's, if i had the money
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i saw them last november and he had this sexy green rickenbacker i didnt see any fenders though
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by Casketcreep
I wouldn't dream of having a tone like that, but I think it suits him and the band very well. It's what separates him from Cliff and Jason, he has to be free to do his own thing and have his own sound.

I agree that hes the most audible and I even think he gets a couple somewhat cool ideas going during their james. But I just cant get past the tone. Im a fan of deep, warm, smooth, chocolatey, pear shaped tones.

To be honest, thats sort of the reason I liked Jason the best (its all relative of course, Im not a fan of metallica to begin with really). He was filling the sonic space that a bassist occupies, instead of just being another guitarist.

On topic though, who cares what he plays (unless your in a metallica cover band)?

I will say this about fernandes. Their basses play excellently and their tone is wonderful, ESPECIALLY for rock/metal and even funk. You have to manipulate the EQ a bit for jazz though
fun fact i heard Jason used a pick because when he first started he was too broke to get a amp so he used a pick to hear him self play
Quote by lucas1wj
fun fact i heard Jason used a pick because when he first started he was too broke to get a amp so he used a pick to hear him self play

Yeah, he said that he'd beat the crap out of the strings. They actually had a problem recording the bass on The Black Album because they kept picking up the pick noise in the microphone

On the subject of Rob: I can't stand his tone, but at least (IMO) his distorted tone is better than Jason's.
The man is a SEASONED veteran who has played in many genres and bands, he has a knack for tone and need many different basses for different songs. He is way above anybody in this forum for all that matters.