Hey,

I've been looking at amps for a while, so long in fact that when I started my search I was looking for a MetalCore tone. Now, i'm looking for that Classic, Slash-esque tone. But, I wanna be able to nail some more modern Pop Rock stuff like Paramore, All Time Low, New Found Glory and Taking Back Sunday.

It'll be used in conjunction with a Framus FR212 cabinet most likely, though I haven't actually ordered it yet. It will be gigged, and will be played at home. However, at home, i'll be playing in a sound-proofed shed so volume isn't too much of an issue (Although, in a small shed, the room will fill with sound pretty quick).

Any suggestions taken. I'd prefer that the amp (Head preferably, though Combo's considered) is affordable, around £500-600.

I'm playing a project guitar at the mo', Mahogany Body, Iron Gear Hot Slags if that helps at all.
Mesa Mark III
Mesa 50 Cal +
Mesa DC5

all of those would be good

also look at.

Laney AOR's
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
for around £700 you could get a Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt head, that will get you your Slash tone no probs
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Marshall Vintage Modern will get you some awesome tones for this. as will a (used) JTM45. that's all i can really think of in that price range that i've had experience with
They won't do modern rock though. I was gonna rec the VM but it doesn't have nearly enough gain.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
What would you guys say to a Tiny Terror as a cheap option. Maybe, + a proper EQ pedal to dial in my tone more accurately?
I have only tried the TT in the store, and didnt like the sound very much. Dont know if the EQ alone would fix it. I found it nice for classic stuff but pop rock or punk dont think so (IMO)
I loved the TT when I tried it. You can get so many tones out of just your guitars volume and tone controls. In my opinion it would work great for the stuff your playing.
Sig What?
How about those Jet City amps? The 20W head looks like a possible contender, and at such an awesome price. Any idea what they're strong at?
Try a dual terror? Night train? Small Bugera? Blackheart?

All of those are worth looking at.

I'm surprised that nobody said HT-5 but not disappointed, as I seem to be the only one who doesn't adore them.
Here is what i'm considering right now:

-Tiny Terror

-Jet City 20W

-Blackheart Handsome Devil

-Bugera 1990

-Egnater Rebel 20

I'm also thinking a Classic 30 might be worth a shout with an OD
JCM800? Nails every modern rock tone under the sun (brit voiced). Boost it and you have what a lot of the modern hardcore bands are using as well (A7X, Atreyu and a few others). That's only one step away from metalcore right? Other option would be a 6505, they are what most of the metalcore bands are using, rhythm channel gets decent rock tones too (think van halen, afterall, it is his amp rebadged).

Edit: Ofcause I'm talking secondhand gear here, hope you dont mind buying secondhand. you get so much more for you money.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Dec 6, 2009,
If you can find a JCM on the cheap, i'd be happy to buy it. Unfortunately, I don't see many going for prices I can afford
I went to Guitar center today because I'm in the same price range as you and I played ht-5 and the egnater rebel 20 and the ht-5 lacked what it seemed like the egnater had. the egnater sounded amazing through the egnater 1x12. I played the egnater with Emg's and single coils. Sounded awesome.
Another thing i've just seen. The Bugera 333xl seems like it could do any genre you throw at it and the price is pretty awesome. Opinions on that?
someone said 800¿ Jcm maybe? 800? Jcm800! is your best bet IMO, classic bite and with an OD can get some serious modern sound
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
I would go with a used JCM 800. You could easy get one.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by slickerthnsleek
First amp I thought of when reading the original post was the JCM900.

I happen to be selling one of these

EDIT: After reading your OP I play pretty much the same stuff as you as well. If you're interested I'm going to be making some clips, I'll have a look at doing you some stuff
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Dec 7, 2009,
That'd be awesome, although i'm not gonna be in position to buy anything until at least after January so don't wait up on me. Although, clips to help me out would be really helpful
No problemo I'm not looking for a quick sale at the moment so if you hear it and like it I'll put your name on it

Anything you'd like to hear?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Uhmm....a bit of everything. Like, a bit of clean stuff, some Bluesy stuff would be cool. Then, get the gain going and bust out any and all Classic Rock/Modern Rock tones you can. And, i'd love to see how heavy it can get before it all turns to mush.