say i have just made a riff up with 2 power chords and some single notes. how does one find out what key that is in?

many thinks
better shred than dead
Well, you look at the notes and chords and that should tell you.

If you could write out the tab for your riff we might be able to help you better.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
If it is solely based on my ear, I just mess around until I find it. Otherwise, if I can see someone playing it or it is written out, then I just logic my way through it and then listen.

I mean, I'm pretty sure this is how 99% of us without perfect pitch do it...
depending on how many sharps or flats it has. Or what chord i resolves onto (NORMALLY and i stress NORMALLY this is what your riff starts and/or ends with)
For about 97% the time the first chord is the key. You also can't tell the key from its power chords because a power chord is a chord without its middle note or 3rd note which is important for determining the key. A Major and minor can make a difference in its key
Quote by ph213x
For about 97% the time the first chord is the key. You also can't tell the key from its power chords because a power chord is a chord without its middle note or 3rd note which is important for determining the key. A Major and minor can make a difference in its key

Many songs start on the V chord, which is not the tonic.

And it's easy to find the key of a song that just uses power chords. If the progression is C5 F5 G5 C5, that's going to be C major 99% of the time. You COULD make it minor, but realistically, it's going to be major.
Quote by shredda2084
say i have just made a riff up with 2 power chords and some single notes. how does one find out what key that is in?

many thinks

Power chords, in and of themselves arent going to help you. They arent technically chords, - a chord is a triad at least. Power chords have two of the notes in a triad, and missing the 3rd, which is the sole determinant of whether or not it is a major or minor type.

The notes however may help you get closer, but the best way to determine what key something is in, say in analyzing music depends on what you start with.

But I will tell you what you need to know.

The musical alphabet, how its written out, where are the #s and where are the bs. If you dont know this, you cant begin to compose a major scale, which is the basis for keys. If you learn the musical alphabet, then you can also learn how to compose in, and identify "keys".

In my series, I teach these things, but it starts with the notes on the neck and knowing the musical language. Knowledge is very powerful, and if you dont know this you have a lot of musical "darkness" when it comes to questions of this nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRzAEgb59-0

If interested in looking at what I teach, check out that youtube link.

Sean
Quote by timeconsumer09
Many songs start on the V chord, which is not the tonic.

And it's easy to find the key of a song that just uses power chords. If the progression is C5 F5 G5 C5, that's going to be C major 99% of the time. You COULD make it minor, but realistically, it's going to be major.

While that is true, if you have consecutive alphabetized major chords, for example a D C and G, like Sweet Home Alabama, then you can identify these as the 4 and 5 chords, which in Major key, are next to each other in the alphabet. Knowledge of theory then, could lead you to determine that while the song's start is D Mixolydian, it is enharmonic to the Key of G major.

This is just one place where knowledge of theory can answer questions of this nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRzAEgb59-0

Sean
Learn music theory - there's a sticky and craploads of other lessons on this site.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by shredda2084

many thinks

1) which notes/chords
2) resolution
One posts the chords in MT and asks people to do all the work for one.

Quote by shredda2084

many thinks

But seriously...

1. You must know your scales/keys.
2. You must know what notes you are playing.
3. Find which note/chord the progression resolves to.
4. Verify that it's the correct key by comparing the notes you are playing to the notes found in that key.

Do a search for "crusade" in the articles section of this site, and read them all.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Dec 7, 2009,