im looking for a tube combo around 300 bucks
i play metal/thrash and i use effects so it has to have an effects loop
so i guess ill need like a 5 watt, but do 5 watt amps sound like higher watt tube amps at their respective volumes or is there a huge difference in tone?
well to start, a 5w amp isnt going to sound like a 50w amp just because it is usually simpler. one preamp section and a single power amp tube is not going to be the same as multiple preamp sections and multiple power amp tubes. that isnt to say you dont get a cranked sound similar to turning up a larger wattage amp, it just isnt quite the same. i think it sounds good though, so its not really an issue for me.

anyway, you probably wont get a tube combo under $300 that can do metal and has an effects loop. i think the peavey jsx mini (or whatever its called) is around there, but ive never tried it so i dont know if its any good. most of the other 5w amps are more aimed at classic rock, and i think the only other one with an effects loop is the blackstar HT-5, which is a good bit more.
i can go higher, i just cant afford to get a higher wattage one for when i jam with someone. so does the HT-5 do loud volumes?
many people have suggested this amp actually
can u talk to me about this amp
Quote by jof1029
well to start, a 5w amp isnt going to sound like a 50w amp just because it is usually simpler. one preamp section and a single power amp tube is not going to be the same as multiple preamp sections and multiple power amp tubes. that isnt to say you dont get a cranked sound similar to turning up a larger wattage amp, it just isnt quite the same. i think it sounds good though, so its not really an issue for me.

anyway, you probably wont get a tube combo under $300 that can do metal and has an effects loop. i think the peavey jsx mini (or whatever its called) is around there, but ive never tried it so i dont know if its any good. most of the other 5w amps are more aimed at classic rock, and i think the only other one with an effects loop is the blackstar HT-5, which is a good bit more.

anyway the ht-5 is nowhere to be found where i am.
any other suggestions?
See if you can find a used Peavey Classic 30 and get an OD pedal with it.

A used Peavey Valveking with a new output transformer could work as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??