I think im going to order a kit from ceriatone for the jcm 800, I was talking to their own hes a great guy but anyways he said I could add in a passive effects loop. Im not sure what kind of mods or if i need an effects loop. Normally i alaways play using a line 6 pod x3 live for all my effects, so does that mean I should have an effects loop? Also any other cool addons you know of for the jcm 800. Any help is appreciated. Also I noticed you can order a kit without the transformers, some people say the Mercury transformers give a much better sound? Can anyone confirm this?

Kevin
I've never actually used Mercury, but I here they are great.

The output transformer is a huge factor of the sound. It is the last thing in your signal chain. A good transformer is going to sound better than a cheap one. Also, it will last longer and take more abuse if you aren't the nicest to your equipment (which I found is true with a lot of gigging musicians).

The passive effects loop isn't really much of anything. It's just two shorting jacks. It is very easily done.

Which kit are you getting specifically? 2203 or 2204?
Save your money on the MM OT and get a Heyboer or something of equal quality. IMO Mercury isn't that special, they are definitely good but definitely not worth the huge price tag.
Quote by end_citizen
I've never actually used Mercury, but I here they are great.

The output transformer is a huge factor of the sound. It is the last thing in your signal chain. A good transformer is going to sound better than a cheap one. Also, it will last longer and take more abuse if you aren't the nicest to your equipment (which I found is true with a lot of gigging musicians).

The passive effects loop isn't really much of anything. It's just two shorting jacks. It is very easily done.

Which kit are you getting specifically? 2203 or 2204?

Im not sure whats the difference with the 2203 and 2204?
Quote by end_citizen
2203 = 100w
2204 = 50w

That's it I think. I'm little out of it, though.

What would you recommend? I am always play with a band. Think I would need the 100watt one? Like Im sure their both loud enough, but is it better to use a bigger wattage im not sure lol

Kevin
The higher wattage will give your poweramp more headroom. You can crank it louder with less poweramp distortion.

Typically if you're playing something closer to metal, you want less poweramp distortion and more preamp distortion. So the 2203 would work.

If you play more classic rock, poweramp distortion suites great. So, the 2204 would be a good alternative.

These are general guidelines, not law. My suggestions (if you can) try to play through a 50w and 100w JCM. See which one is closer to the sound you're after.
Wish it was that easy, There aint shit out here for guitar stores. I dont even think ive seen a tube halfstack in a store here.

Kevin
Quote by kurtlives91
Save your money on the MM OT and get a Heyboer or something of equal quality. IMO Mercury isn't that special, they are definitely good but definitely not worth the huge price tag.

I've heard similar things to this. Heyboer is generally better for Marshall amps. MM however does make amazing replacement trannies for the Randall MTS series of amps. They are pricey though.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores