It sounds weird as far as what I originally wanted but I think it sounds good at the same time.

I originally wanted to write something in E minor but this progression doesn't really sound like E minor or G major for that matter.

B5 Dmaj(no 5th) A5 Em F#5

I'm pretty sure this is a chromatic progression because of the F#5 but I am not sure.

Can someone explain it to me a little?

EDIT:
This is only the intro to this song I'm doing so the progression is more than likely going to change a little as the song goes but still.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Dec 6, 2009,
It gives an impression of i-III-VII-iv-V in B minor, I´d say. Got to go now but, try playing Bm, Dmaj7, A, Em, F# and feel it out!
You know what? You're right. I was thinking too far into it.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by pwrmax
How does the Dmaj make it chromatic? It fits in E minor.

My bad I meant the F#5 because of the C# in it.

EDIT: That one guy was right anyway. It appears to be in a more Bminor kind of tone.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Well, power chords are never really meant to make a harmony due to their lack of a 3rd, all they really do is reinforce the overtones and make it sound thicker, so you can get away with that one.
Quote by pwrmax
Well, power chords are never really meant to make a harmony due to their lack of a 3rd, all they really do is reinforce the overtones and make it sound thicker, so you can get away with that one.

All it is is the intro riff/lead riff. It's not just chords but they are the main force behind the lead and the rhythm.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by RockGuitar92
It sounds weird as far as what I originally wanted but I think it sounds good at the same time.

I originally wanted to write something in E minor but this progression doesn't really sound like E minor or G major for that matter.

B5 Dmaj(no 5th) A5 Em F#5

I'm pretty sure this is a chromatic progression because of the F#5 but I am not sure.

Can someone explain it to me a little?

EDIT:
This is only the intro to this song I'm doing so the progression is more than likely going to change a little as the song goes but still.

Simply put you could play D Major over this

The B is the vi D is the I A is the V Em is the ii and F# is the iii

I teach things like this in my music theory course online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRzAEgb59-0

Now, You could just as easily see this as a B Aeolian (minor) and get away with it just fine, its the exact same notes as the D major scale. However you choose to approach it.

Sean