Ive been playing bass and acoustic guitar for quite a while now and am part of numerous bands predicted grade 8 bass guitar, grade 7 piano etc... Point is I've been looking into buying an electric guitar recently and decisevely want a fender standard strat/tele. Thing is i really cant decide which one ot go for.

I like to play a lot of blues kinda stuff and alternative/grunge aswell. I like doing solo's and like a medium gain kind of setting. I also sometimes like a clean sound. Ive heard that strats are good for soloing yet a tele is good with medium gain and for blues. Can anyone offer any advice? Cheers.
I'm partial for teles, but it's all up to you really, try both and wich one suits you better
Both can do anything, it's just based off whether or not you want the tele twang or the strat quack.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Do what I do. Go walk into a guitar center and play some guitars. You will probably find one that you really love.
As someone who owns both, I find they are both massively versatile and either will cover off the areas you want - they are very different guitars to play though, so I'd go with the one that is the most comfortable for you to use.

Go and play a couple see which you prefer.
Quote by mark_wuk
As someone who owns both, I find they are both massively versatile and either will cover off the areas you want - they are very different guitars to play though, so I'd go with the one that is the most comfortable for you to use.

+1
i absolutely love telecasters, and i think they can really cover all. that being said, your best advice has come from mark_wuk. try both and let your playing decide. if you're worried about a 2 pickup guitar vs a 3 pickup guitar check out the nashville deluxe telecasters. they have 3 pickups like a strat, and are extremely versatile in my opinion!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by mark_wuk

As someone else who owns one of both, I second what Mark's saying here. Personally I couldn't think about just having one.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
One thing I prefer Tele's for is the bridge! I like hardtail guitars for their tuning & playing stability, especially when bending notes. Tele's come standrad with a HT beidge but it's a lot rarer to see Strats with one.
Moving on.....
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different

May I sig this, sir?
Strat...and hide the Tele under your shirt while you're getting the Strat.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
As someone who has owned a few strats and strat clones I say go for the telecaster. On a strat you’ll probably never use the middle pickup and any time you use the trem you’ll wish you hadn’t when you’re retuning.
you cant really choose between the two, i have one of each and love them both... but i love the strat a little more
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
eeh i hear alot about bad tremolo's on strats?
are they really that bad? isn't there a good strat with a good trem? other than floyd?
It's not that they're bad when set up properly, just that if you bend notes the adjacent strings detune slightly. I had an American Deluxe for years and it also had a hipshot tremsetter to help with stability. I never used the tremolo bar at all!
Moving on.....
I'd try out both. They are different guitars and have a different sound, instead of ordering online, go to an actual store and try a few.
Quote by KenG
It's not that they're bad when set up properly, just that if you bend notes the adjacent strings detune slightly.

Yeah but that's the case with every floating trem ever. Not that big a deal though unless you purposely bring attention to it (i.e. pick an open string and silently bend a few other strings a couple steps)

Strat trems are pretty solid, easy to deal with compared to Floyds, Kahlers etc.
TY for being in my first sig.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
well ive tried out both in the local music store and have decided to go for a telecaster, mainly because i like to play bluesy rocky stuff and i like the sound. Also im not too keen on tremelo bars and would just remove it as soon as i got it if i were to buy a strat. That is not to say that im buying a tele purely because i dont want a tremelo but because i like the sound. Mind you a year down the road i will probably buy a strat aswell :P
Quote by jenguind
Mind you a year down the road i will probably buy a strat aswell

there's definitely nothing wrong with that! anyway i applaud your decision to get a tele and would like to see pictures! what kind did you get?
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Wondergaurd

Best analogy ever
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.