Hi there, So I have been repairing the electronics in a Les Paul type guitar, finally have just got it working but for the neck pickup the volume and tone controls are working backwards, ie full volume on 0 if that makes sense. Presumably this is something to do with an earthing wire, however I've been soldering all day and I am getting fed up so if anyone can help it would be highly apreciated.
Many thanks
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
I'd assume the wiring is backwards? As in the wires to the poles are switched.
Weekend Warrior
Quote by ML_Guitar09
I'd assume the wiring is backwards? As in the wires to the poles are switched.

This

Just switch the wires on the outside lugs.
Do you happen to be left-handed? I had the same problem when I wired my pots up. You need reverse-taper pots for left handed guitars.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Thanks guys, swapping them on both pots did the trick
New problem now, when tone is on anything less than full there is that unearthed hum, which ones the culprit now?
Call me Duncan.

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Anybody got any ideas? Would like to get this finished tonight
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Hmm, don't have a meter anymore
I've already done the wire switching buissness, the problem is that when the tone knob isnt on full theres a bit of humming
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Yes the hum does go when you touch it. This is only happening on the tone control for the neck pickup, everything else is fine.
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Quote by guitar is yummy
Yes the hum does go when you touch it. This is only happening on the tone control for the neck pickup, everything else is fine.

well, any hum should go away when you touch it, so it should be fine. I just don't get why it wasn't doing it before with the pots backwards. that shouldn't have made any difference other than the direction to turn the knob would be backwards
Yeah thats very true. It just means you're partially earthing the guitar
Call me Duncan.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!