So, I don't have a bass. What I want to do is shift the pitch of my guitar an octave down. I'm using Pro Tools LE 8 and the Waves Sound Shifter. It works and sounds pretty good, except for a lot of lag in between the actual DI recording and what comes out.

So, I figure I'll just apply the pitch shift permanently, render it, if you will. The thing is, I don't know how.

I tried recording it to another track, but that keeps the latency.

I'm sure there's a way to do this, it seems like an easy enough thing to do, and if anyone could tell me how, that would be great, thanks.
Did you try recording the guitar first then applying the effect? This should cut down on the latency.

Also, quite a few Guitar Amp Sims have some good Guitar To Bass settings (Pod Farm has a solid one, Amplitube is alright for it, Guitar Rig is great but you gotta program it yourself). Most of these have a free trial
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
If I understand you're question:

Select the region, then go to the audio suite menu, select the plug-in, pick the settings, and then click process.
Use midi and a sampler instead. It's nigh on impossible to get a good bass sound from pitch shifted guitar.

Why? Because the guitar is fundamentally a mid-range instrument, and when you pitch shift it down an octave you're not changing the fundamental frequencies at which it operates, you're just changing the sound of the instrument, if that makes any sense. It doesn't automatically make it an instrument that operates in the bass frequency range.

Use midi. It'll save you a lot of time and a lot of headaches.
Quote by Dream Pin
Use midi and a sampler instead. It's nigh on impossible to get a good bass sound from pitch shifted guitar.

Why? Because the guitar is fundamentally a mid-range instrument, and when you pitch shift it down an octave you're not changing the fundamental frequencies at which it operates, you're just changing the sound of the instrument, if that makes any sense. It doesn't automatically make it an instrument that operates in the bass frequency range.

True but a lot of the midi instruments for Bass sound so fake and just terrible. Though I do want to try NI Scarbee Bass programs. Anyone had any experience with it?
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
True but a lot of the midi instruments for Bass sound so fake and just terrible.

yeah theres a lot of crap, but theres quite a bit of good stuff as well, although TBH if I'm working with MIDI it's because I want a synth bass sound anyway. Reason electric bass is the best bass guitar sample set I've encountered, but it isn't cheap, and it requires Reason.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Word, yea midi bass is sorta of booty, and the above method for pitch shifting doesn't really do it.

Though, if you send your midi/synth/sample bass through guitar rig or another amp sim, or just some distortion its possible to make it decent enough for recording.

Usually starting with the most basic bass sound is the best for that method.
Quote by Dream Pin

Very true, but extreme EQing should make it sound semi decent.