Hey there,

I'm currently using an ibanez s5470 and i want to change all the pups (humbucker neck and bridge and single middle).

'm into a wide range of music, Between the buried and me, Sikth,
Protest the hero, Cult of Luna, and ISIS would be my favourite bands.
So i'm looking for pickups that will give me alot of versatility but
also pack a puch.

I've been told that Painkiller + Trilogy Suite middle coil would be my best option. What do ye think of this?

Also i've heard nailbombs and warpigs are amazing. How do they compare to the painkiller?

Also can someone please explain what these terms are
Conductor: 4 or braided 2
Leg: long or short
Magnet: vintage stagger or flat
Polarity: stock or reverse
Optional: Zinc Plated Steel base: (why do this?)

Also how do i know what spacing to get?

Hope you guys can help
warpig if you want tons of gain, nailbomb/painkiller is a bit cleaner with more definition. just like people have said, ask them, they'll help you for sure. also, if you like those bands, you should check out periphery, local band near where i live and BTBAM and sikth are some of their biggest influences.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by mr_fruitbowl
Hey there,

I'm currently using an ibanez s5470 and i want to change all the pups (humbucker neck and bridge and single middle).

'm into a wide range of music, Between the buried and me, Sikth,
Protest the hero, Cult of Luna, and ISIS would be my favourite bands.
So i'm looking for pickups that will give me alot of versatility but
also pack a puch.

I've been told that Painkiller + Trilogy Suite middle coil would be my best option. What do ye think of this?

Also i've heard nailbombs and warpigs are amazing. How do they compare to the painkiller?

Also can someone please explain what these terms are
Conductor: 4 or braided 2
Leg: long or short
Magnet: vintage stagger or flat
Polarity: stock or reverse
Optional: Zinc Plated Steel base: (why do this?)

Also how do i know what spacing to get?

Hope you guys can help

Depending on how you like your tone. If you like it more chugga chugga get the Warpig with alnico magnets. If you want to to some leads with the Warpigs, get Tim to change the magnets to ceramic. If you want it searing and cutting with a little chug get the Painkiller.

If you want a lead oriented tone, get the Miracle Man.

The Painkillers are the ultimate thrash / metal / prog pickup, very upfront, full bodied, and searing in tone. Only flip side is that its got a very aggressive voicing, not recommended if you don't like that aggressive quirk to your other songs.

The Miracle Man is a good lead oriented pickup. It has a slight mid scoop, but the treble is really screaming and cutting, more so than the Painkiller. Use it and it will step you right up front above the band. Not so good for locking in with the rhythm section. If I'm not mistaken the voicing is inspired by Ozzy's song of the same name. Pinch harmonics are really screaming on this pickup.

The Nailbomb is essentially a PAF that is hot rodded beyond EVH standards right into high gain territory. It has a really beefy and round character, while harmonics really saturate the tone. Chords sound like they're coming out of a PAF, but with good overtones and thump.

The Warpig is a very rhythm oriented pickup. Its got good bass response with a very percussive thump. The pickup is round with good definition and emphasis on the bass and lower mids. With the alnico magnets, its warm with a slight "sag", which make the range of frequencies sort of come together in a wall of chug. With the ceramic magnets, the Warpig is less round in the top-end frequencies and is slightly better for lead work.

Regarding your query...
Conductor:
2 conductors are like on the old Les Pauls where there is only need for a hot and a ground wire. Since you are installing it into a RG, which has auto coil tap in your pickup selector's position 2 and 4, you'll need the 4 conductors to wire it up correctly.

Leg:
Long legs are for guitars with wide bodies or huge spaces in the pickup cavity. Since you are installing it in a Ibanez S, you'll need the short legs (1/4").

Magnet:
This refers to the pickup poles, whether you want the pole profile to be flat (when you look down the length of the pickups, all the poles are of even heights).

Or if you want the poles to be of different heights (its like a mountain where the 1 & 6 poles are low, the poles for 2 & 5 are higher than 1 & 6, and 3 & 4 are the highest poles).

Stagger is meant for guitars with a very round radius fret board, like Strats. This sorta of ensures that the distance between the pickup pole and the strings is roughly equal for all 6 poles.

For a Ibanez S, you'd want a flat profile, but really its matter of preference.

The closer the pole is to the string, the brighter and louder the string, but the lower the level of sustain.

Polarity:
For your Ibanez, the single coil in the centre when stock, will create higher level of background noise compared to pickups that have a reverse polarity. Reversing the polarity will offset it against the inner coil of your neck or bridge humbucker. That in turn will eliminate the background hum of stock polarity single middle coils. Select it as RW/RP, and in the note tell Tim your guitar model, and the the pickup configuration and he will know that you want the magnet of a reverse polarity so that when you use the pickups in position 2 & 4, it will be hum cancelling.

Optional: Zinc Plated Steel base:
I can't recall what this does exactly, but Tim says that having a Zinc base plate will give you better clarity, definition and more bottom end.

If I were to recommend, I think you need for the metalcore is:
Neck: Nailbomb
Middle: Trilogy Suite
Bridge: Warpigs (with alnico magnets)
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.