question is in the title pretty much. but i really am intrigued to know, i personally prefer regular to 3nps (3 note per string scales) even though i know 3nps, but i just dont recall hearing or seeing any famous guitarist who do the whole thing fast like vai etc without using 3nps.
id really ppreciate some players to check out who do play like this
thanks
It is possible. It's all about what you want to do.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
To be completely honest, anyone who can shred probably uses lots of different ways of moving around the fretboard - all of the guys mentioned above play licks that you could see as 2nps and 3nps, CAGED or 7 position, arpeggic, chromatic...

Mind you, only Holdsy and Rusty (of those mentioned) have put in the time and have the reach for 4nps.
Quote by Freepower
To be completely honest, anyone who can shred probably uses lots of different ways of moving around the fretboard - all of the guys mentioned above play licks that you could see as 2nps and 3nps, CAGED or 7 position, arpeggic, chromatic...

Mind you, only Holdsy and Rusty (of those mentioned) have put in the time and have the reach for 4nps.

brett garsed and marshall harrison do some 4 nps stuff as well. shawn lane does some 1 nps stuff
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by tenfold
Well there is 4nps (rusty cooley, allan holdsworth), and pentatonic which is 2nps (zakk wylde, paul gilbert). Shred speed can be achieved on either of those.

Zakk Wylde hardly ever does 2NPS.

It's usually pentatonics with 3NPS or he goes like "E-12-14-14" and then switches strings
Quote by tenfold
Have you seen his 2 instructional videos? The first thing he teaches you is to alt pick pentatonic 2nps licks.

I dunno, he kinda stopped with all the 2nps stuff after Pride and Glory.
What they mean by 2nps is 2 individual notes per string. Hence, one could play a B and a D in any grouping he desires, but as long as he's playing only B and D, he is playing 2 nps.
It's not like shred guitarists only use 3 nps or 2 nps or sweeping or something like that. Those concepts are not mutually exclusive.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
You can really play any amount of notes per string, and there are guitarists adept in doing so.
It's good to be comfortable with as many nps as you can.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Don't play 3 notes just because they're on the same string. Pick out the notes separately that sound together, then figure out the easiest way for you to play it, no matter what string they are on.
There's no template on how to shred. Do it however you can make it work.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
what does this 3nps mean? playing scales where you hit three notes on a string then switch strings, play three notes on that string, then switch again?
ok, but what is the author asking about then? regular to 3 nps? does that mean you always play three notes on a string before you move to another string?
Quote by xmacattack18
what does this 3nps mean? playing scales where you hit three notes on a string then switch strings, play three notes on that string, then switch again?

"NPS" depending on context can mean either "notes per string" or "notes per second." In this case, it's notes per string, as in a box shape like this:

-------------------------------5-7-8-
-------------------------5-7-8-------
-------------------4-5-7-------------
-------------4-5-7-------------------
-------3-5-7-------------------------
-3-5-7-------------------------------
Quote by dudetheman

You're welcome, honeybuns. (I guess.)
Quote by dudetheman