Page 1 of 2
To put it plainly, I might be getting some gear for christmas.

I want:
Ibanez S series guitar
Peavey Triple X

He thinks I should get:
Gibson Les Paul
Peavey 5150 Block Letter (not signature head, not II head)

I know that this is a stupid thread, but I'm curious as to why he thinks this. We're not actually "friends" but I've know him awhile, so I don't want to argue with him, and he's been playing longer than I have and is more experience.

First, I had an Epi LP and it sucked, and I've heard gibson's quality control has went down lately. I want the Ibanez for the trem system and locking nut to ensure tuning stability, and for the easy of the built in intonation tool.

Second, as much as I LOVE the 5150 heavy tone, I hate it's cleans. I want the XXX for it's usable clean, and it's pretty good heavy tone. Though I've never heard an XXX in person, I've heard many clips to know I like it.

Now I play progressive, metal, hardcore, punk, pop rock, indie, post rock, atmospheric stuff. Anything really.

What do you guys think I should do?
Last edited by Ignite at Dec 6, 2009,
I'd say he's right. I'd take those 2 over ANY ibanez and ANY peavey. just personal opinion of course.

secondly:
Quote by Ignite

First, I had an Epi LP and it sucked, and I've heard gibson's quality control has went down lately.

judging Gibson based on experience with an EPIPHONE les paul is like judging fender based on a squire, or Marshall based on an MG. Its incredibly stupid. If you haven't tried a real Gibson les paul, go out and try one.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 6, 2009,
Do what you want. As for a Les Paul-style guitar, I'd recommend you get an Edwards or an Epiphone Elitist (were discontinued) Gibson's quality control isn't as bad as most people make out, either.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Screw him. Get what you want, within reason. if you find the XXX's cleans are better than the 5150, get that if you're gonna use cleans.

And if you ever want a Les Paul, go vintage Gibson or Japanese lawsuit.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Yeah, but for most of the music you play, why do you need really good cleans?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Something else to consider is that everyone and their mother uses a 5150.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by lespaul#1
Yeah, but for most of the music you play, why do you need really good cleans?
Did you not catch the "indie, post-rock, atmospheric stuff" part? In my book that require pretty good cleans.
i think it's pretty subjective

personally i prefer the triple X especially for it's clean channel
yeh gibson's quality control has supposedly gone down

however stock ibanez pups aren't sposed to be that good
i persoanlly recommend the ibanez and change your pups and go with the triple X

i don't think the gibson would be too good for what your playing
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Look into the 6505 man, its the best amp peavey makes imo, it has GREAT clean and GREAT distortion. Your not sacrificing either. As far as a gibson or ibanez goes you cant go wrong either way. The s series is awesome though, one of my favorites.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
also the les paul produces WAY more pleasing clean tones than an Ibanez S series. don't forget that.

I dont know about "WAY" more, with some good dimarzios any s series will have an awesome range of cleans....
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by schtick_bomb at Dec 6, 2009,
Ugh, everyone hears that Gibson's quality control has gone down. Just like how everyone hears that you should buy a Blackstar HT-5 . IMO a lot of what you hear is just bandwagon stuff.

Do I think Gibson's quality is as good as it used to be? No
Are Gibson's still utterly amazing instruments? I certainly think so.

My mate just bought a 1980's Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst model. It's amazing, and sounds/feels phenomenal. Buy what you think feels nice. If you like the feel of an Ibanez S better than the feel of a Les Paul, then go for it. It should be about what YOU want, not what he wants. Tell him to go buy a Les Paul and 5150.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
If I was in your position, out of those amps, I'd go for the XXX, because you do need some cleans. But, tbh, I wouldn't go for Gibson.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
me? XXX and S series anyday.

but it all comes down to what YOU think is best
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Mate, do what YOU want to do. It's your money you're parting with, not his, at the end of the day.

That said, I'd go for the Ibanez S and the XXX. I'm not a huge fan of 5150s to be honest; however Les Pauls have always been amazing whenever I've played them. In my opinion, I'd go and try all your options out first; you're spending a lot of money at the end of the day, and you don't want to end up with a set up that you're not happy with.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
In the end its up to you....I have an S-series and a XXX...and I love them both. If you need cleans...the 6505 isn't the amp for you. The XXX cleans are far beyond those of the 6505...while still having the distortion you need.
i saw peavey XXX with the ibanez, but change the pickups.... i know its been said before
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
I think you should just get what you want. Ignore his ideas. Look at other bands. Many guitarists use completely different gear from each other. So much so that even in live performances, two guitarists can play the same riff, but it will sound completely different ie bullet for my valentine.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
YOU want it so YOU get it, he cant force you to buy the 5150 and a Les paul,

Besides Ss have a trem so instant win!
I couldnt really decide for you which is the best amp as ive played neither, but a lot of people do use 5150/6505s but if you hate its cleans get the XXX.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
XXX is definitely more versatile than the 5150. But you might want to look at other amps depending on wether you need high gain sounds more or less than low gain sounds etc..
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
If you want to save some money on the guitar, the Ibanez will serve you well, a friend of mine has one and I really like it. And I would suggest looking at different amps.
I have a huge fear if rays.
First of all, there is no difference between the 5150 blockletter, signature and 6505. The blockletters just came with better stock tubes, by now those would be changed out anyway. I like the 6505 +/5150 II better and it seems like it would be better suited for you than the original.

Here's what I'd do:

Get a used Ibanez Prestige - Look out for an S1520 or 1620, AWESOME guitars and can be found on the cheap, just a little bit on the rare side. Other S series to look out for are the older "Made in USA" ones, they're really just assembled in the USA, and the early Sabres/540S/470S, they are excellent guitars for the price (usually very cheap). Most used Ibanezs will have upgraded pickups as well, and still be cheaper than a new one.

Try out a bunch of amps - I'm honestly not a big fan of the XXX, but it seems like it would suit you better. Since you said there's no XXXs around you (I'm assuming that means no 3120s as well as they're the same thing, just stock with EL-34s...), see if you can find the Bugera 333. It is based off the XXX and though it's not exactly the same, it should give you a decent idea of what the XXX is going to sound like in comparison to the 5150. Don't be afraid to try other amps, and buy used if you can, I'm not sure what your budget is, but there are many good heads in the <$1000 range that would suit your styles.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
also the les paul produces WAY more pleasing clean tones than an Ibanez S series. don't forget that.

My S1520 destroys both of my LPs in clean tone
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Dec 6, 2009,
If I had to choose between those 2 combinations I'd take the Ibanez S-Series and the Peavey XXX.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by MatrixClaw
First of all, there is no difference between the 5150 blockletter, signature and 6505. The blockletters just came with better stock tubes, by now those would be changed out anyway. I like the 6505 +/5150 II better and it seems like it would be better suited for you than the original.

That's the only thing I was going to bother posting in here and you beat me to it.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Get what you like. This is your gear, you can afford to be picky.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
As much as I love my Gibson, I would say go with the Ibanez of those two choices. The Les Paul in my opinion does not handle the gain levels a 5150 or a XXX would be putting out as well as the Ibanez would. If you have a budget for a Gibson (about USD 1000 Im assuming) I would say go with a prestige model Ibanez, high end Shecter with Duncans, a Parker, or a Steinberger.
Sig What?
Personally, i like what you wanna get more than what your friend recommends but that's because i like a thinner neck and a more metal guitar with a floating trem system on it. If you compare a guitar with a trem to one without one it's like 2 different worlds. Get what you need, not what someone thinks you need.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Quote by darth awsome
As much as I love my Gibson, I would say go with the Ibanez of those two choices. The Les Paul in my opinion does not handle the gain levels a 5150 or a XXX would be putting out as well as the Ibanez would. If you have a budget for a Gibson (about USD 1000 Im assuming) I would say go with a prestige model Ibanez, high end Shecter with Duncans, a Parker, or a Steinberger.

OM NOM NOM NOM
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by superfish1232
i think it's pretty subjective

personally i prefer the triple X especially for it's clean channel
yeh gibson's quality control has supposedly gone down

however stock ibanez pups aren't sposed to be that good
i persoanlly recommend the ibanez and change your pups and go with the triple X

i don't think the gibson would be too good for what your playing

a Gibson wouldn't be suitable for any of the stuff he said why? I don't. Think you have a clue about what you're talking about.

Ts, regardless of what anyone tells you or what features you like on a guitar, it all comes down to which one plays to your liking. Comfort and playability should always trump looks and what anyone tells you. No one can tell you what you'll like. If you want an opinion I feel Gibson is a better l guitar. That's just what I think. Better tone, they feel better to me, great guitar for all playing styles. You can play death metal to blues. It will all sound good.

As far as the amp goes if you lik it then cool but there are much better amps. Used Marshall, orange and so on. Might want to wait and check out the new jetcity amps 100 watt head. It's a cheaper version of a soldano slo 100 head. If that's true and it bring a budget amp you deff can't go wrong and it will cover all those genres easily.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Don't get a Gibson. Your friend's an idiot. You just don't get any real bang for your buck with Gibsons, you'd easily get something just as good much cheaper.
Quote by darth awsome
...Ibanez, high end Shecter with Duncans, a Parker, or a Steinberger.

my good friend has a Mojo Fly effing rad guitar.

TS, have you looked into the JSX as well as the XXX? the JSX is one of my favorite amps and can do everything you want really well, imo.

So i guess i'm recommending a Parker and a JSX...and they do sound good together, seeing how the same friend has a JSX...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Try it if u can, it's the best thing u can do. ppl here (not everyone) hates epi's. I love mine. With some nailbombs and a supercharger kit it sounds much better than guitars well over 1000 USD.

It's what u like the feel and sound not what everyone recommends. Yes, ask for opinions, but always go for it AFTER u try it and feel good with it
the amp.. well i'd take the 5150 the XXX, but just like your friend, its only an opinion and really shouldn't weigh your decision on the XXX. if you lie the XXX absolutely got for it,.

as for the guitar, its a far more personal piece of equipment, and he really can't tell you what is going to be good for you to play on. both are decent intstruments, but only one of them will be particularly valuable in terms of playability, sound, and most of all.. comfort level.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by spiff389
my good friend has a Mojo Fly effing rad guitar.

TS, have you looked into the JSX as well as the XXX? the JSX is one of my favorite amps and can do everything you want really well, imo.

So i guess i'm recommending a Parker and a JSX...and they do sound good together, seeing how the same friend has a JSX...

Mmm. Parker + JSX = Win. Its what I'd buy if they weren't both so expensive in Australia, and I wasnt poor
Well, I'd say get an S and a pickup change, but I'm biased because that's what I did.

I can't stand Gibby's personally, but hey, that's just me. Try them both and see what you like. I can say though, that S series guitars are beautiful, but the intonation adjustment tool doesn't do shit. It's a gimmick, straight up.
Quote by Raijouta
Something else to consider is that everyone and their mother uses a 5150.

Thanks for the chuckle I got reading your post. There is a REASON for this. The high gain tone the 5150/6505 makes is one of, if not the best, high gain tone out there. It records great, sounds great live, it's ONLY downfall is the clean channel, which with all honesty, can be greatly rectified with an EQ in the loop and a chorus pedal used with some common sense. Who cares what everybody else uses anyway? It's HIS tone regardless.
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at Dec 6, 2009,
I don't know how you could be comparing the two guitars. One of them has a real thin neck, 24 frets, tremolo bar, and possibly a third pickup. The other one is the complete opposites. It seems to me that you're already set on the Ibanez.

As for amps, try alot more in your price range. You might not like it when you actually try it out.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Well a lot of you are saying I can get a better amp than the XXX in the price range it's is. So what's a good tube head that has decent cleans and better high gain than the XXX? (You can get an XXX on ebay for $400-600, which is what I'm able to spend)
Quote by shut_up_n00b
I don't know how you could be comparing the two guitars. One of them has a real thin neck, 24 frets, tremolo bar, and possibly a third pickup. The other one is the complete opposites. It seems to me that you're already set on the Ibanez.

As for amps, try alot more in your price range. You might not like it when you actually try it out.

The Ibanez S-series has 22 frets on all of their guitars except for the S5470, which is a Prestige model.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

I don't know why everyone hates on the cleans on the 5150. Sure, they aren't a twin reverb, but throw a hint of reverb and a hint of chorus and nobody who doesn't play wont know the difference anyways besides the overdriven tones are AMAZING

Being that said, go for your XXX and S-series. Seriously look into an older Ibanez, I mean doesn't vintage only mean that its old and cheap?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
You don't have to listen to anyone. But what your friend is suggesting is actually a very good idea. I know i'd rather take a Les Paul over the Ibanez S series i currently have.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Page 1 of 2