What do you think of the Irongear Steamhammer, both in the bridge and the neck? I'm looking for a pickup with punch-you-in-the-face bass response and output that still cleans up nicely in the bridge, and in the neck I need something that won't turn to mush with high gain. I've heard that these fit the bill, but I could use some more informed opinions.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Anyone out there?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
for that price, they sound good IMO. But I don't know what gear it's used in the samples from the site. Look into GFS also. No experience with them, but it sounds good from youtube :P
Just e-mail Keith. He obviously knows the most about his own pickups and has been very helpful in me finding my new set. He's obviously not gonna say that his pickups are terrible, but you tell him what you want, and he'll advise you to your best choice.
First and foremost...

What amp?
What guitar?
What reference tones?

I don't get this... you don't need the highest output pickup for punch-you-in-the-face bass response. Sometimes, its also about balancing your mids and top end to get your bass really percussive.

Don't get the highest output pickup just for the higher gain.

An overly hot pickup will give you lower definition and clarity, leading to muddiness and reduced punch.

Now.... give me some answers so I can help you.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.