Hi. I have been playing the guitar for about 3 months and I am a big fan of Joe Bonamassa. I really want to learn to play like him but I am unsure where to start. Can anyone help? If anyone has any suggestions on what dvd's or books to buy I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
if you want to play like Joe, learn his songs. That is the best way to start imitating an artist that you really idolize. Also, look back on who he takes after, and start there. Learn the chord progressions, the solos, everything!

I don't know much about him or listen to him much, otherwise I would help a little bit more.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
Why do you want to learn to play like him? Joe Bonamassa already exists, so why don't you learn to play like Stu-G ?
Quote by carmour
Why do you want to learn to play like him? Joe Bonamassa already exists, so why don't you learn to play like Stu-G ?

Because every bluesguitarist starts out trying to play like others?

really? Speak for yourself but usually I try to learn peoples styles and then play them in my own way...
hahahaha. i love how this argument is progressing like it's never happened before..
Quote by Guitardude19

Tele's

Quote by carmour
really? Speak for yourself but usually I try to learn peoples styles and then play them in my own way...

Maybe that is what TS wants to do?
geeez carmour is there any blues topic you don't put your ultimate blues wisdom on. Give the guy some good advice, instead of one off answers. To TS learn some standards first it will give you some good insight into phrasing and lead suff.
Gear: I haz some

Quote by RCA1186
hah its ok besa, i still love you

^ guess someone has too
I just think asking about how to learn blues guitar on a forum is a stupid question, which in my books, warrants a stupid answer.
you need new books then

learn standards like besa says. shuffles, 1,4,5's, learn turnaround etc. get as much as you can down
Quote by Guitardude19

Tele's

So, these tit-for-tat replies are all very amusing, NOT, but does anyone actually have anything helpful to say?
Learn how to play like Joe Bonamassa by learning his songs, and techniques and tones unique to him. End.
Stu-G: Personally I've never found any help in instructional DVD's or books releated to an artist that I like. My advice would be to listen to Bonamassa's songs over and over again. Not just in full but listen mostly to the short passages of guitar you most want to learn. Then either play over those parts or try to memorize them and replicate. If you're working this out note-for-note and you're new to guitar the process can take a long long time, but for me this worked best. You don't have to be perfectly replicating it all either (unless you want to be a Bonamassa clone), and tone will come with time. If you do this for not just Bonamassa but other artists you like, you will eventually end up with a reportiore of 'licks' or riffs, but because you learned them from scratch you should see how to to blend these pieces together and create original songs which have several influences and therefore becomes 'you'.

I don't see an arguement in this thread. Carmour and Jilax^ seem to be saying the same thing to me (post 8 and 9)...
search the lessons section of this site for my lesson on "pentatonic sequences for soloing". joe bonamassa is very inspired by eric clapton and eric johnson. the sequences will help with the eric johnson part. as for clapton, get the bluesbreakers album, and listen to cream, a lot. it wouldnt hurt to learn some standard blues licks too. just search youtube and there should be tons of videos on blues licks.
Thanks guys. I dont want to be a Joe Bonamassa clone as one of you put it. I just want to learn his style of playing and create my own sound from there. I just thought learning joe's style would be a good place to start.
There's no WAY of learning to play the blues. My journey with the blues started when a friend of mine taught me the pentatonic scale and how to improvise over it.
Then, all I did was to download some blues backing tracks and jam over them. Slowly I got better and started to put into my improvisations small licks by Gary Moore, BB King, SRV, and Hendrix.
And that's how I started.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||