I've got a MIM Fender Deluxe Lone Star Strat that I've decided to give a make over too. I'm keeping the basic body, neck and electronics - I like how it plays and sounds just fine - but all the hardware has to go. The nut is pretty bad, the tuners aren't exactly the best and the bridge is plain awful.

My problem is simply choosing which bridge and tuners to change to. Most websites that sell hardware only specify 'American' or 'Import/Squier' measurements and styles with next to nothing said about the MIMs. I've no way of measuring anything accurately enough so I'm mostly wondering which bridge is the best to go for that will actually definitely fit an MIM Strat. As it is at the moment, it's the normal MIM 6-screw style vibrato bridge. My main concerns with the bridge are obviously firstly that it's simply made well and has a decent sustain block (I'm probably going to change the saddles to GraphTech saddles so the saddle style doesn't bother me much) and also that the vibrato arm fits snugly. My biggest gripe with the stock bridge is the arm is very loosely fitted, there's a good 1.5mm or so of play in all directions where it sits in the hole wobbling about (unless I screw it the extra half a turn when it suddenly becomes rigid in place and won't move at all). So a well-fitted arm and the best all-round construction is what I'm after in a 6-screw vibrato bridge for a MIM Strat.

The second thing is the tuners. The stock Fender tuners don't have any screws - Fender's site lists them as 'Fender®/Ping® Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines' and I assume they're the type with locator pins - I'm struggling to find any direct replacement tuners for this fitting. I'm ideally after locking tuners. Anyone know of any? Or, failing that, is there any particular reason why I couldn't use other types of tuner (e.g. ones with actual screws to keep them in place)? Lastly, does anyone know what the exact peg hole diameter of a MIM Strat's tuners are?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
You could get some Sperzel Locking Tuners.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Ah, as in THESE? They do seem to be the only ones with the locating pin style of mounting. Can I take it then that they fit MIM Strats?
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'd recommend a wilkinson bridge. I've got one on my strat, it solved all the issues I had with the old bridge.

Mine is a 2 point, you can either just drill out the two outside screw holes to take the posts apparently, or get the 6 screw eqivalent. I got mine for axesrus, and they have the key mesaurements on the site - for MIA stuff too from what I remember, so you can compare if you want to go down the MIA route instead - it's not hard to get the measurements accurately to be honest.

Sperzel locking tuners are great, you'll need to drill a new hole for each one, but there is a template in the pack. Schaller are probably a direct replacement, but I've never seen them at a reasonable price in the UK.

If you want any more info, let me know, I've been down the same road as you by the sound of things.
Yep those, they should fit in all guitars, they "may" require a little drilling, but theyre worth it. I have a set on my Esp
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
I suggest these or these for tuners. Nice and cheap lockers. You might have to drill the holes larger and drill some new holes for fitting but it isn't hard.
Right here are some bridges that will fit a MiM, but I would personally get this one.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Sounds like I'll be getting a set of the Sperzel tuners then. A little bit of drilling is no problem.

I'll give the Wilkinson bridges a look. I've come across their stuff many times before but I was put off this time around because I've not found confirmation they'll fit MIM Strats. I'll have a stab at measuring them with the Axesrus measurements but my only measuring device is a basic crappy plastic ruler so I don't exactly trust my measuring Did you buy the ''fill' Wilkinson/Gotoh version (which I think is about twice the price of the regular one) or the more basic Wilkinson one, and how well does it keep tune?
I bought the one they sell on axesrus - It is the VS model - not sure exactly what the means - but it's a serious piece of engineering with a big solid steel block, and it stays in tune perfectly.

A plastic ruler should be fine for the measurements - the differences are pretty big between the different models - the VS50 fitted my requirements perfectly, the other ones didn't.
Looks like I'll be giving the VS50 a go then, thanks.
Good luck and have fun
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by MrFlibble
Sounds like I'll be getting a set of the Sperzel tuners then. A little bit of drilling is no problem.

I'll give the Wilkinson bridges a look. I've come across their stuff many times before but I was put off this time around because I've not found confirmation they'll fit MIM Strats. I'll have a stab at measuring them with the Axesrus measurements but my only measuring device is a basic crappy plastic ruler so I don't exactly trust my measuring Did you buy the ''fill' Wilkinson/Gotoh version (which I think is about twice the price of the regular one) or the more basic Wilkinson one, and how well does it keep tune?

Not sure what other hardware you want, but if you want 20% off at WD Music, then I can do that for you. That makes the tuners £48 ish.

As to fitting them, here is review of those Tuners on WD:

Quote by Some Dude
I wanted these as much for the staggered pole pieces as the locking mechanism. Varying heights from the peghead face mean that on a Strat or Tele you no longer need a string tree to acheive a string break angle across the nut that will keep the top strings from jumping out of the slots (like on the Eric Johnson Strat). In itself this aids tuning stability when using the trem, and, contrary to some opinion, the locking mechanism helps maintain intonation too. Just make sure the string is pulled almost right through when you tighten the locking knob so you are not adding winds onto the post - which would defy the point of the thing, introducing the possibility of string movement. The mechanism makes restringing a bit quicker and lazier too - goodbye, string-winder. IMPORTANT POINT: these tuners require 10mm pegholes in the headstock. If yours has smaller vintage type 11/32inch sized holes the ONLY way to enlarge them is very carefully with a "cello peghole reamer" available from some luthiers' suppliers... DON'T attempt this job with a drill, or think of allowing a guitar tech to try that for you. It won't work evenly and your guitar will be stuffed forever. Measure the diameter of your pegholes before proceeding any further!!! You'll need to drill a small "locator" hole for each tuner, too. And they are appreciably heavier than ordinary tuning machines. All that accepted, these are still magnificent top end tuners

They don't seem to do the VS50 but they have several of the excellent Gotoh/Wilkinson Trems.

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/category/Hardware___Parts/Bridges___Tailpieces/Tremolos
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Well I'm pretty set on the tuners anyway. I'm going to double check the existing peg holes but so long as they match up I'll be going with 'em. Bridge I'm still undecided, I usually don't settle for anything but the best the market has to offer but on the other hand I'm pretty broke at the moment having just bought a new amp If it's not too rude to ask, can your discount be (ab)used for anything or just tuners?
Quote by MrFlibble
Well I'm pretty set on the tuners anyway. I'm going to double check the existing peg holes but so long as they match up I'll be going with 'em. Bridge I'm still undecided, I usually don't settle for anything but the best the market has to offer but on the other hand I'm pretty broke at the moment having just bought a new amp If it's not too rude to ask, can your discount be (ab)used for anything or just tuners?

Apart from a couple of things, yes, anything on the website

Let me know what you might be after, whenever by PM and we can go from there.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!