I want to build an amp and a cable for cheap.

It's my first build so I'd like it cheap.

First, the Cable:
I already have a few tools, a broken Stadium Cord (the two plugs are cut off), two gold Mono straight plugs (with springs) from Radioshack, Electrical Tape, pliers, and an all function screwdriver.

I ordered 50-Ft. Audio Cable, 5-Piece Basic Soldering Set(30 Watt, Rosin Solder, Iron Safety stand, Heat Sink (clamp), Soldering helper(what ever the hell that is)), 4 Mono Right-Angle Audio Plugs.

Now the Amp:

Basically is there a way to take my line 6 Spider (the $100 one) and make it better? I've heard you can throw some Mesa Boogie parts in there and make it awesome.

Edit: Also, I'd like to try and make the cable without waiting around for my crap to arrive.
Last edited by DataKeeper at Dec 6, 2009,
the line 6 is a digital amp. good ****ing luck modding it with no previous experience. i don't even think of modding such. you might be ale to play with its tonestack.

and you're basically S.O.L. until the cable arrives. check the central hub to se if two strings cable tut is on it. i not do a quick search, should come up. get the smallest solder you can. 60/40 is good mix.

check out youtube for some soldering tutorials. what i do is do all/most of the prepwork, stripping wire, laying out parts, then you're iron is all heated up by time you're ready, which makes it less likely to f*ck up. if you can, pick up a disordering braid, personally i prefer it to the bulb type, but it's all preference

and best of luck man.
You can upgrade the Spider's Output IC to a discrete poweramp, but you may also need a new transformer and a case.
Quote by ZILtoid_1991
You can upgrade the Spider's Output IC to a discrete poweramp, but you may also need a new transformer and a case.

unless it isn't socketed ICs and Transistors are pretty easy to destroy, not the best to solder in for a beginner.

i would suggest making plenty of patch cables before even touching the inside of the amp. ordering a small kit such as this, might help build some soldering chops. pretty good instructions on this one, still haven't finished it myself, i'm lazy
haha FNG, nice. and it's cool dude. 6 months ago i'da said the same thing. the learnin curve in insane on this stuff. i'm a newb too

i hear radio shack is good for their cables. you'll only need the red or white wire, just use that braided shield as the ground. i might go buy that, 50 foot for ten ain't bad.
Quote by DataKeeper

Basically is there a way to take my line 6 Spider (the $100 one) and make it better? I've heard you can throw some Mesa Boogie parts in there and make it awesome.

I would be extremely skeptical of anyone who tells you this. It is not worth upgrading your Line6. Not at all. You'd do better to sell it and put that money to a Blackheart, Valve Junior or similar affordable tube amp.
Quote by blandguitar
haha FNG, nice. and it's cool dude. 6 months ago i'da said the same thing. the learnin curve in insane on this stuff. i'm a newb too

i hear radio shack is good for their cables. you'll only need the red or white wire, just use that braided shield as the ground. i might go buy that, 50 foot for ten ain't bad.

There's also:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-braided-Instrument-Cable-14-Black-30-10Pack?sku=360607

When I think of having 300ft. of wire at my command all I can think of is the worlds biggest clusterf*ck of knots. Then again, $50.
I smell a troll.

If you actually want info on the cable, use the search bar. There's a how to thread already.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
i wouldn't get then, if you look at the reviews, two gave it like 5 stars, another two gave it like 1. i've heard from multiple people, whom i've known for months now, that say radioshack actually has good cables. but thanks for the link. and the knots would probably be nuts.
Quote by DataKeeper
I want to build an amp and a cable for cheap.

It's my first build so I'd like it cheap.

First, the Cable:
I already have a few tools, a broken Stadium Cord (the two plugs are cut off), two gold Mono straight plugs (with springs) from Radioshack, Electrical Tape, pliers, and an all function screwdriver.

I ordered 50-Ft. Audio Cable, 5-Piece Basic Soldering Set(30 Watt, Rosin Solder, Iron Safety stand, Heat Sink (clamp), Soldering helper(what ever the hell that is)), 4 Mono Right-Angle Audio Plugs.

Now the Amp:

Edit: Also, I'd like to try and make the cable without waiting around for my crap to arrive.
Just curious, where does the cigar box-like thing fit into this?
Quote by DataKeeper
Odd you mention it. I just started my first amp build. It's a little cigar box-like thing. I also started making some cables. I don't know about pedals though.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22509280&postcount=9
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Just curious, where does the cigar box-like thing fit into this

The trash, the "goddamnit it worked a second ago" pile, the EWOT department, I don't know you choose.

Edit: To specify, I have cats. Cats that knock things over. It fell like, a foot and it started making this cracking noise when I bent notes and...I need more ductape.
Last edited by DataKeeper at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by cedricsmods
I would be extremely skeptical of anyone who tells you this. It is not worth upgrading your Line6. Not at all. You'd do better to sell it and put that money to a Blackheart, Valve Junior or similar affordable tube amp.

It's funny you mentioned that as, just yesterday, the guy who told me I could put some Mesa Parts in my Line 6 stabbed himself in the leg with a Soldering Gun. I've hit the occasional finger. But a leg? Where was the table in all this?

We should learn something from all this:
Don't listen to people who say replacing Line 6 parts with Mesa will make it awesome.

IQ tests should be administered with Soldering guns.
Quote by DataKeeper
The trash, the "goddamnit it worked a second ago" pile, the EWOT department, I don't know you choose.

Edit: To specify, I have cats. Cats that knock things over. It fell like, a foot and it started making this cracking noise when I bent notes and...I need more ductape.
I suspect that might be your best idea yet...

I say go with that plan and we'll all be much better off.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^ +1
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Quote by blandguitar
i wouldn't get then, if you look at the reviews, two gave it like 5 stars, another two gave it like 1. i've heard from multiple people, whom i've known for months now, that say radioshack actually has good cables. but thanks for the link. and the knots would probably be nuts.

DON'T BUY THAT 50 FEET OF CABLE FROM RADIOSHACK!

I must have wasted 5 feet of the stuff just trying to strip the conductors.