Right now I'm using my Applause (low end Ovation) and the sound is just too dull for me. I was thinking of getting an Ovation Celebrity but how are the sounds of these compared to the others (yes I know, go try it out...). This is what I'm considering getting - they don't have these models in the store close to me.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=583194
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=582877

Considering getting a Takamine now but started another thread for that.
Aliens do exist. They're just waiting for Chuck Norris to die before they attack.

C4C - Songwriting and Lyrics

- Hung Up on You -
- Apathy Unending -
Last edited by FueLsTp at Dec 7, 2009,
Regular Ovations don't sound that great normally anyway... Super Shallow body Ovations sound really bad.

Have you considered normal acoustic guitars? You can get some pretty good ones for the same price as the ones you listed.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
They sound good to me, i bought one today
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
no cheap ovation sounds good to me, and the shallow bowls are no exception, but if your current guitar sounds dull, you can probably liven it up with better strings.
Well, I'm on an Applause and I had the thing for a long while. The sound is just too dull by now. I haven't been out to a guitar store in years so haven't had a chance to try any for a while.

I am partial to Ovations though due to the feel. I recall actual Ovation guitars sound much brighter then Applauses, even the shallow bowls. I just don't remember how different the multi vs single hole guitar sounds.

I actually was thinking of going for a Takamine since those sound amazing but I don't know. I'm stuck on Ovations! I guess I'll have to take a trip out to the Sam Ash by me and hope they stock the Ovations there.

Want to check out this Takamine too - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G-Series-EG440SC-NEX-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516847
Aliens do exist. They're just waiting for Chuck Norris to die before they attack.

- Hung Up on You -
- Apathy Unending -
Last edited by FueLsTp at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by FueLsTp
I am partial to Ovations though due to the feel.

I've always found Ovations to be really easy to play. Comfortable on the left hand, if you can get used to the sliding. Tone okay, volume poor.

I'm interested in your opinion if you decide to get one; let us know what you think.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by millerdrr
I've always found Ovations to be really easy to play. Comfortable on the left hand, if you can get used to the sliding. Tone okay, volume poor.

I'm interested in your opinion if you decide to get one; let us know what you think.

Hopefully I can go after work one day to a Sam Ash and play a few. I remember the multi-hole Ovations sounding great but I think I played the high end ones. But will do!

- Hung Up on You -
- Apathy Unending -
I actually can't play Ovations at all. My fingers always hit the next string no matter what I do. Maybe it's just something I need to get used to, but it's never been comfortable to me. *shrug* That's very subjective though.
Equipment:

Celebrites are the next step up from Applause and they have come along way since I got mine in 1994. Do play as many as you can. The multi-hole has a very different sound than the center hole versions. Like every guitar, there are sweeter sounding ones out there.

If your mind is set on a SSB and have the extra budget, then look at the Elite-T series (textured black finish). Great sound and project well for an SSB. 1868T is the SSB version.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
The Elite-TX looks great actually. But ~$650-700 is a bit more than what I want to spend. I'm looking for more around $400 now - which is right where a Celebrity is - CC28/CC48. I'm going to try a couple Mid-Bowls too but I remember not liking the feel of those.

Although a few days ago I played a Takamine at a friend's house and that just felt and sounded amazing. I can't recall what model it was though but I would love to have that guitar! So I know what else I am going to try out.\

Change of heart - Now considering either a Takamine G340/EG340 or EG440 (But posted another thread for that).

- Hung Up on You -
- Apathy Unending -
Last edited by FueLsTp at Dec 7, 2009,
I'd highly suggest going to try one out. From what I've found out, roughly 50% of the people who say ovations suck, never heard/played one.

I got an Elite TX 1778 for x-mas this year, my first acoustic. I played about 3 dozen acoustics at Guitar Center, and the only one that sounded better was a 2k$ Gibson.
Just went over to Samash and tried the Celebrity Multi-hole and a Takamine(EG340SC). The Multi-hole was 'louder' then I thought it would be but that Takamine sounded great too. Both necks feel pretty similar in terms of size and comfort. The Takamine is a solid-top which is a plus. As for looks, matter of opinion but I am a fan of both Ovation's look and the Takamine's natural look.

Tough decision, I really like both guitars. I'm thinking of going for the Takamine though since I already have my Ovation.

- Hung Up on You -
- Apathy Unending -
The only time I have ever played an ovation I liked was a shallow that was plugged in... But I couldn't sit down with it, it kept sliding off, weird...
Quote by FueLsTp
Just went over to Samash and tried the Celebrity Multi-hole and a Takamine(EG340SC). The Multi-hole was 'louder' then I thought it would be but that Takamine sounded great too. Both necks feel pretty similar in terms of size and comfort. The Takamine is a solid-top which is a plus. As for looks, matter of opinion but I am a fan of both Ovation's look and the Takamine's natural look.

Tough decision, I really like both guitars. I'm thinking of going for the Takamine though since I already have my Ovation.

Having a solid top is a huge plus. It will age with time and sound sweeter. Laminate will not.
Equipment:

I played a low end ovation once. I think it was an applause? It was about $220 if I remember right. I don't believe i read anything on it about super shallow but it sounded rather nice for the price range it was in. I guess it might have been more of it sounded better than I expected though. I can't say it sounded "bad" as some guitars I have played though.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by MrJulius
The only time I have ever played an ovation I liked was a shallow that was plugged in... But I couldn't sit down with it, it kept sliding off, weird...

They have a strip of sandpaper like material on the bottom of them now to keep them in place. It works awesome.
Quote by Chaos Nil
I played a low end ovation once. I think it was an applause? It was about $220 if I remember right. I don't believe i read anything on it about super shallow but it sounded rather nice for the price range it was in. I guess it might have been more of it sounded better than I expected though. I can't say it sounded "bad" as some guitars I have played though.

Well that's the model I have. Applause AE28 - Shallow bowl. It really doesn't sound that bad but after playing a Takamine at my friends house, you really notice a difference. For for $200, it wasn't a bad choice at all. I had it for almost 8 years I think and never had a complaint about it. After 8 years on a low-end acoustic, I think it's time for a new one though I don't know if it's just me or the strings or the guitar, but the sound just sounds way too dull for me now.

- Hung Up on You -
- Apathy Unending -
Yeah, after 8 years I'd treat myself to an upgrade also. After a while we start to have a yearning for a specific tone. A lot of people don't notice it in the beginning, like being able to tune by ear and stuff. You start to notice different things about the sound. A typical listener with no musical background probably wouldn't notice certain things but anyone who plays the instrument would notice things like it sounds a little out of tune or the strings sound old or the sustain doesn't last that long and stuff.
Just don't get too caught up in buying expensive guitars :P
Just bought a Takamine EG341SC. Got a great deal so I just couldn't pass on it! Should be getting it by Saturday or Monday, can't wait!

Thanks for the replies!

- Hung Up on You -
- Apathy Unending -
Just got my Takamine EG341SC today. The thing is a beauty! I still can't believe the price I got it for.

- Hung Up on You -
- Apathy Unending -
Amazing guitar. Beautiful black (Like mine ^_^ ) and what a nice tortise pickguard. Looks like a nice case too. Treasure your guitar.